2021 Time to Drive!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All! New to this thread, because my driving is sporadic due to work (I did put in 20 minutes yesterday! 🎉).
However, I had a quick question - my little cart at home is just a basic easy entry and I have a hell of a time getting my traces off. Is there a trick that I’m unaware of, or does it just become easier over time? Photo attached.
They will get more supple with time. I've never seen a singletree quite like that with the attachment from the bottom up (that's how I'm seeing it, not sure if that's correct?) and I think that in itself would make it more awkward. My carts have S shaped hooks at the end or a "sword end" singletree so maybe someone else who has a set up like yours will see it and comment. If it's super awkward, you can usually find replacement singletrees that are not too expensive, I replaced one for about $25 (sword end) two years ago.

Last edited:
6/29 - 40 minutes for Rocko.

I am loving this new cart! There was a little water in one of the ditches today that I didn't know was there until we were upon it. Rocko tried to evade it and I ALMOST let him because I didn't want to get my new wheels all muddy!!!! 😂

It is such a good feeling when they are shy of something but choose to trust you and go forward because they want to please you. We had a really good day.

7/1 - 35 minutes for Rocko.

We had a lesson today. More work on getting him to use his hind end. He is heavy on the forehand dropping his head, so she had me correcting him and he was responding nicely. I am also going to get the poles off the ground, raise them up and get him jumping when I can squeeze in some ground work. We did a little bit of cantering too. He is going good in one direction now. I just keep learning new things with him. He is so good walking down the road past the crazy dogs. Did I mention just how much I love this little guy?!

30 min ground driving Wally today. Need to get he and Blue sold so I'm trying to put some time on them to brush up on their skills. They have been out to pasture for a few weeks and not worked much all season so they have become lazy and ill tempered.

30 min ground driving Wally today. Need to get he and Blue sold so I'm trying to put some time on them to brush up on their skills. They have been out to pasture for a few weeks and not worked much all season so they have become lazy and ill tempered.
Wish I lived closer! Would be fun to help you with those rascals.

I've been lazy and ill tempered all season too!

20 minutes for Rowan today. Drove him in the big grass ring and he did awesome. We've come a long way from bucking and attempted bolting! I got a new, properly sized, drop-lash whip and it made a huge difference - it was really hard to get to his sides with the dressage whip (too long). The new whip is obviously much more clear to him. So now we can both focus on learning to breathe while driving. :)

7/5 - 60 minutes for Rocko today.

My husband took today off and drove Annie with us.

I bathed Rocko and clipped him. Half way through my back started hurting but I pushed through and I just need to do a little more on his belly and do his face tomorrow. One of those days where you ask yourself, why did I start this?!!!

20 minutes for Rowan today. Drove him in the big grass ring and he did awesome. We've come a long way from bucking and attempted bolting! I got a new, properly sized, drop-lash whip and it made a huge difference - it was really hard to get to his sides with the dressage whip (too long). The new whip is obviously much more clear to him. So now we can both focus on learning to breathe while driving. :)
I've tried that whip and cannot seem to manage it. How did you learn to use it properly?

Hi Marsha,

This is with a Hyperbike - so the whip is TINY! I have had zero experience with this type of whip before, it was easy to swing the lash to touch his sides, but maybe only because the distance is so short and the whip is so small and light. I can touch his butt with my hand when I'm driving him so I'm RIGHT behind him in this cart. Not sure how I would manage with a regular cart and a much longer whip - it probably wouldn't be pretty. :)

Hi Marsha,

This is with a Hyperbike - so the whip is TINY! I have had zero experience with this type of whip before, it was easy to swing the lash to touch his sides, but maybe only because the distance is so short and the whip is so small and light. I can touch his butt with my hand when I'm driving him so I'm RIGHT behind him in this cart. Not sure how I would manage with a regular cart and a much longer whip - it probably wouldn't be pretty. :)
Ah, hyperbike. Yes, the dressage whip is a little long when we are up close and personal to the tail. Can you show the whip, please? I'd be interested.
Does anyone know where to get a fly swisher? Has anyone ever used one while driving? Dapper Dan is so sensitive to flies; the whip doesn't get them off very well.

Ah, hyperbike. Yes, the dressage whip is a little long when we are up close and personal to the tail. Can you show the whip, please? I'd be interested.
Does anyone know where to get a fly swisher? Has anyone ever used one while driving? Dapper Dan is so sensitive to flies; the whip doesn't get them off very well.
I researched a fly whisk thoroughly on the Internet. Even went so far as to see if I could make one myself. Those things are pricey especially when you need two. Walmart has them for $24. They total length is 18”.
jefferspet.com has something they call a Shufly that is 6” long. That may be good if you’re sitting that close to your pony. Hope this helps.

6/8 - 35 minutes for Rocko.

We had a lesson. Today I practiced driving with one hand which we did pretty good at together. Then worked on the canter and that was not going very well. The trainer wanted to check him out and he responded much better to her. That was humbling! She gets after him and I'm too nice.

The driving with one hand will make it easier for me to carry the whip in the other hand and implement it quicker when needed. After she left I practiced one handed rein handling on my rein board. I'm determined to get good at it!

Latest posts

Back