2021 Time to Drive!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/7 - 60 minutes for Rocko.

He deserves a gold star because we worked on getting the new cart fitted to him which required adjusting the cart and his harness over and over again, and taking him out in it, the whole process took 2 1/2 hours! I think I got it pretty good. I am going to adjust the shaft length a couple of inches tomorrow. I was lucky I had a smaller belly band in my stash because I had to drop the tugs so the cart would be balanced which made his way too big.

6/10 - 30 minutes for Rocko.

I readjusted the shafts on the cart and tweaked the harness again. After driving, I would like more leg room which means moving the seat back and re-balancing, but I'm done for today!!!!

6/11 - 60 minutes for Rocko.

No adjusting the cart today. Drove on all types of footing. Asphalt definitely the smoothest ride! The wheel base is 4" wider than my old cart so I moved all my practice cones out. Lol The new wheels are so much larger too so I think it's easier to pull. He seems happy, so that makes me happy!

6/14 - 30 minutes driving Rocko.

I am still not happy with the way the new cart is going, so I need to do some more adjusting. Temps are starting to soar here so I have limited time to work on things. Supposed to get up to 109 this week!!! 🤪

Willow are you using the old type wrap straps or the buckle down type shaft carriers? If it's the older wrap style (which I prefer :)) and they are wrapped too tight you might get that bounce you were describing in the other thread.

I have the buckle down tugs. I have the seat back as far as it will go which decreased the bounce but it was still there.
So then we moved the axel (wheels) back from center too but that increases the bounce. I am wondering if we move the axel foward from center it might raise the shafts? It's like the bounce is going down on the tugs which is sending the seat back forward. I've raised and lowered the tugs and that doesn't help. I can really lean back and the shafts aren't going way up.

If my husband or my friend which are heavier than I am get in the bounce is lessened.

6/15- 30 minutes driving for Rocko.

Yep, I had already moved the shafts back as far as they should go. I talked to the cart builder today. He said the average weight for an adult is 170 lbs and since I weigh 40 pounds less I had two choices to create the counter balance needed.

1. If I am the only one that will be driving the cart, to just move the wheels forward. (Someone much heavier would tip the cart backwards in that position.)
-or-
2. Leave the wheels in the center position and create the counter balance by adding a weight under the seat. There are brackets there for a basket that could be used. The wire or wicker baskets they sell wouldn't add enough weight themselves.

My husband came home early and moved the wheels forward for me and I drove Rocko around and did a lot of trotting. No more back rest slapping on my back! I might have my husband build me a wooden box for under the seat at some point where I could add weight and then I would be able to move the wheels back to the center position and take out the weight if someone heavier were to drive him.

My husband came home early and moved the wheels forward for me and I drove Rocko around and did a lot of trotting. No more back rest slapping on my back!

Soooooo glad to hear you got your cart all figured out!! 💕 Is your cart still bouncy at all? You got me wondering if I need to have my hubby move my wheels forward too. Hmmmm 🤔

Kelley- The shafts are floating in the tugs and the seat does not bounce like it was, just the normal feeling you would get in a balanced cart if going over uneven terrain.
If you move your wheels (axel) forward you might need to move your seat back. I got the larger wheels so not sure if that makes a difference. My seat is now all the way back. And I like it there for the leg room so that's a plus for me!

Thank you so much Lynn! Glad you have posted your experience!! I think I am gonna try moving my wheels forward and see if it rides even better….. Once we get settled in the new house and hubby has a free moment, lol!!

Hi All! New to this thread, because my driving is sporadic due to work (I did put in 20 minutes yesterday! 🎉).
However, I had a quick question - my little cart at home is just a basic easy entry and I have a hell of a time getting my traces off. Is there a trick that I’m unaware of, or does it just become easier over time? Photo attached.

Attachments

• 7F96DD0A-B404-4B28-961D-A6782710EBF0.jpeg
    7F96DD0A-B404-4B28-961D-A6782710EBF0.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back