2021 Time to Drive!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boys will be boys! Zorro is patient :D

35 minutes ground driving Peanut this afternoon. First time he's had the bridle on in about a year, I worked him all last summer in a halter. Thought he might protest a bit but he marched right out. Just walked and let him stretch, but at the end, when I asked for a slow walk I got about 15 steps of collection without asking for it. If I ASKED for it, I bet I wouldn't get it!

25 minute ground driving Peanut. Worked on changing speed within the walk and I got a few nice collected steps on each "slow" transition without really doing anything except keeping my darned elbows soft. That will never become natural!

4/8 - 30 minutes driving Rocko today.

Kept it short because I hadn't been able to do anything with him for a while. He balked a little at first when he realized he was going to have to work. He is very laid back and more than happy to stand around! But he moved out really nicely today. Planning to drive him again tomorrow.

45 minutes ground driving Midnight. We seem to be going backwards from her brilliant beginning. Today it was a immensely scary white tank in a neighbor's yard. She acted like a total idiot. A little discouraging.
Marsha,
I have an idea for Midnight. I'll post it over on Your Drive Day thread.

Marsha, I think sometimes they go through a spell after they have been started and do well for awhile. Sort of like the "new wore off" and they are in a more mentally relaxed place where their minds can concoct up some shenanigans. I've had a couple big horses like that, one in particular comes to mind, he was a peach at 3 and most of 4 years and at the end of his 4th year, wowza, what a pill. He got over it but was a muley sucker for about 1 season.

Latest posts

Back