2021 Time to Drive!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
It's here! 2021 calls for a new driving hours thread. Here's to hoping for more driving and less mask wearing and physical distancing.

I'm starting us off with driving our team of Fjords. Doesn't count for mini hours but we're trying to work through some things with Ferb so we spent about 3 hours with the team today.

Happy New Year!!! Drive on!

Jan 1st: I ground drove Zorro for 20 minutes while baby Oliver galavanted all around us on the pasture track. We drove 1 mile.

Jan 2nd: We started on the pasture track so the baby could come with us. Then I put him away and ground drove Zorro out on the road. We drove for 60 minutes and went 3 miles.

A good start to the new year even though the wind has been HOWLING every day making it very cold to be out there 🥶

Couldn't locate Your Drive Day thread so here is a picture I took today. My husband is driving Annie and I'm driving Rocko. He is standing nicely now so I could take a photo! Another accompishment for my little guy.

Attachments

• 20210103_151834.jpg
    20210103_151834.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
Jan 3rd: Ground drove Zorro 1 mile in 20 minutes!
Jan 5th: Ground drove Zorro 1 mile in 20 minutes then hitched to the bike and we drove for 3 more miles in an hour and a forty minutes for a total of 2 hours today :)

The final total for 2020 is on the "Driving me Buggy 2020" thread as well as links to all of the driving hours spreadsheets if you want to take a look at your individual totals for each quarter.

I apologize in advance for any mistakes.

I'll get the 2021 spreadsheet up and running ASAP! Happy driving!!!

Jan 7th: Ground drove Zorro for 3 miles - 60 minutes. It was a beautiful wintery day with the snow falling 🤗
Jan 8th: Drove Zorro in the sled for 3 miles - 60 minutes. It was a bright sun shiny day with not quite enough snow for the sled but I couldn't resist!

Jan 9th: Drove Zorro in the bike for 3 miles - 60 minutes. It started out super warm and sunny. It stayed sunny, not a single cloud in the sky, but as the sun went down it got super cold! By the time we got home I was frozen and had to go in the house and take a hot bath!

45 minutes driving Rocko today.

My little buddy drove Annie in the lead to encourage Rocko to increase his impulsion at both the walk and the trot and that worked out really well! Also Annie gets uptight with sound behind her so we also followed her crossing the wooden bridge until she was relaxed. Not sure why that shakes her up when she has just clomped over it herself and knows it is him who is following her. The bridge is over 20 feet long so next time we will try following a little closer and stepping on the bridge at the same time she is at the end. After we would halt today and Annie was asked to walk off Rocko was so good at remaining standing and waiting on his cue to move forward. Little milestones!

Mindy I always admire you for your long cold drives. I'm such a weather wimp. I know there are others on here who drive in the snow as well. I have sleigh runners for my cart that I have never tried out....

Times are caught up :)

About 20 minutes long-lining Rowan today. It went pretty well, we got some nice round circles at the walk and trot and he only turned around and got wrapped in the lines one time, and I got myself wrapped up in the lines zero times which is a big improvement too. Luckily he has a good whoa. 😂 It was a blustery morning with another boarder longeing her horse and repeatedly cracking the whip and yelling so we had plenty of forward. 🤪 Definitely a learning curve for both of us but I think it'll be really useful in the long run!

Latest posts

Back