2021 Projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing with rattlesnake skin and buttons. I made one covered button, and then tried the skin on wood. I like the wood better. Talking to the guys who hunt snakes and make things with the skins has been interesting. This is a Western Diamondback "coon tail". It's called a coon tail because the stripes on the tail look like the tail of a raccoon.View attachment 44095

I've never heard of such a thing. How interesting and would look WOW on western type clothing.

Interesting topic! Wiki tells me chromium (3) sulphate is the bees knees, though it may be that some are still using oak or hemlock bark for the tannin?

I've sold several of my rattlesnake skin buttons. One buyer said she was sort of freaked out by it and could hardly bear to touch it. But she wanted 3 more! I was a little uneasy at first about working with the skin but I'm more comfortable now. I laid a long piece of discarded skin edge by my husband's work bench to see if I could get a "wow" moment. I think I did, but he won't admit it!

Thank you. Can't remember, but think it's ok to say, most of the items I make, if not already planned for someone in particular are available. The horse placemats will be available when completed. I will have at least two sets of four available in the winter scene. They are big, if I recall correctly, they are about 16x23".

Thank you, Marsha. I used a hot wire tool. When I get the hang of it better, I think it will be a lot of fun. I have access to free foam from where I work. I just have to be careful not to bring home too much...

Needs to be washed to remove the quilting marks and bury the thread tails, but otherwise the twin size horse quilt is finished.
And, then the Mystery Quilt for guild is almost done, started quilting it today, got the center quilted, still have quite a bit to do, hope I can finish it before Monday's guild meeting, when it's due.

Attachments

• 2020 - winter enchantment - finished.jpg
    2020 - winter enchantment - finished.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2020 - winter enchantment - finished close-up.jpg
    2020 - winter enchantment - finished close-up.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2020-2021 - guild mystery quilt - top done, some quilt.jpg
    2020-2021 - guild mystery quilt - top done, some quilt.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 8
Needs to be washed to remove the quilting marks and bury the thread tails, but otherwise the twin size horse quilt is finished.
And, then the Mystery Quilt for guild is almost done, started quilting it today, got the center quilted, still have quite a bit to do, hope I can finish it before Monday's guild meeting, when it's due.
The geometry of that mystery quilt boggles my mind! Love seeing your quilts!

The geometry of that mystery quilt boggles my mind! Love seeing your quilts!
Thank you.
I'm surprised how well it turned out, some of the gals have commented they don't like their color placement on their quilts. since it's a mystery quilt, we really didn't know what we were getting into when we started. I really like the inner portion, but the out two pieced borders are boring.

I found the book on thriftbooks.com. My granddaughter and I will start these on Bubbles and Lilo as soon as the book arrives. What fun!
Thank you for the inspiration!
Since it's a mystery quilt, we really didn't know what we were getting into when we started. I really like the inner portion, but the out two pieced borders are boring.
They're both lovely, however....if you get bored with that Mystery Quilt, you just let me know. It will go PERFECTLY in my rustic house that I've finally moved into.😉😁🥰

We recently went on a 1700+ mile trip of nostalgia for me. I'm putting together a journal of the trip. My goodness, it's hard work! A huge disappoint are the wild flowers I collected on the way. I pressed them under floor mats, inside books, whatever I could find to work. They dried so beautifully! I put them in the laminater, and put too many in one sheet. Catastrophe. One was caught inside the machine and ruined. The sheet came out wrinkled. I can save them, but they are not pretty like I wanted. And I wish I had bought newspapers on the way.
So far I have most of my notes typed up, and photos ready. Now I need to assemble. Huge creative endeavor!

Sorry about your flowers! Are you going to cut around them so they aren't on a sheet but indivudual pieces?
Will be a nice keepsake when you are done.

Sorry about your flowers! Are you going to cut around them so they aren't on a sheet but indivudual pieces?
Will be a nice keepsake when you are done.
Yes i am cutting around the flowers but they are not perfect. When i get it finished i will take it to my mom in the nursing home to look at. I started out with a bound journal but there was no way that would work. So i am using a mini binder and plastic sleeve pages.

Latest posts

Back