2020 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very expensive to feed them; but it beats the alternative.
My sister got a nurse cow from a dairy. At a certain age their udders are measured. If they don't work out for the dairy, they are sold. The two bottle babies took right to the cow, and all three are chewing their cuds in a hay nest. Not sure it is cheaper than buying powdered milk, but it is easier.

My sister got a nurse cow from a dairy. At a certain age their udders are measured. If they don't work out for the dairy, they are sold. The two bottle babies took right to the cow, and all three are chewing their cuds in a hay nest. Not sure it is cheaper than buying powdered milk, but it is easier.
Much easier, and if you are going to feed bums repeatedly, a nurse cow is a good idea, but she needs to be bred occasionally to keep her in milk. Dairy cows are not very common around here, so hard to come by. I'd prefer if the cows just took care of their own calves, so I didn't have to worry about it. Mine are finally eating out of a trough, so I don't have to wait for htem to finish their bottles, and I'm working on getting them on calf starter feed.

Much easier, and if you are going to feed bums repeatedly, a nurse cow is a good idea, but she needs to be bred occasionally to keep her in milk. Dairy cows are not very common around here, so hard to come by. I'd prefer if the cows just took care of their own calves, so I didn't have to worry about it. Mine are finally eating out of a trough, so I don't have to wait for htem to finish their bottles, and I'm working on getting them on calf starter feed.
Yes, the nurse cow is bred. This should work out well for her since the local farmers know my sister will take any bottle babies. She mooed forlornly for two days for the babies she left behind, but now she is content with her two new adopted ones. She was rather poor; my sister is enjoying fattening her up and getting her to the vet for checkup. She is a jersey cross.

Yes, the nurse cow is bred. This should work out well for her since the local farmers know my sister will take any bottle babies. She mooed forlornly for two days for the babies she left behind, but now she is content with her two new adopted ones. She was rather poor; my sister is enjoying fattening her up and getting her to the vet for checkup. She is a jersey cross.
I'm not sure about Jerseys in particular, but dairy cows in general tend to be a bit bony on top, even when at a good weight, it seems to be a by-product of high milk production desired in dairy breeds. So a dairy cow likely will never be as filled out as a beef breed.

I'm not sure about Jerseys in particular, but dairy cows in general tend to be a bit bony on top, even when at a good weight, it seems to be a by-product of high milk production desired in dairy breeds. So a dairy cow likely will never be as filled out as a beef breed.
I've heard that, and we used to milk cows when I was a kid. We had Swiss. But this girl was too thin, and wormy. She's looking so much better already. Once the dairy decides cows won't work for them, I guess they just get sold off and passed around and used. My sister will take good care of her. This cow has such a kind face. I will take a picture next time I'm there. So nice to see the three of them chewing their cud in the shelter.
We got a little far afield from crafting!

Yes, we did, so to get back on track, here's pics of two I finished earlier this spring, but just got pics of the other night and mailed yesterday. I'd been waiting to share pics til they at least got in the mail. Graduation gift for nephew and birthday gift for BIL (they are father and son). Reserved sharing pics as long as possible, so there was little to no chance they'd see before they received.

Attachments

• 2019 - Mason's Broncos quilt - finished in 2020 for graduation 2020.jpg
    2019 - Mason's Broncos quilt - finished in 2020 for graduation 2020.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020 - Broncos quilt for FC - finished and sent for bday.jpg
    2020 - Broncos quilt for FC - finished and sent for bday.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
Very nice. They'll love those!
I've been crocheting baby blankets for the local Family and Youth. Also crocheted a lap robe for the nursing home. I was touched and surprised about how happy both places were to receive them. Tried a bobble stitch border and it turned out nice and was fun to do. (Purged the photos off my phone without saving.)
Also finished the baby sampler. Could not get to a frame store, as they were closed down, so Jim made the frame out of nice pine. I decided on cream paint instead of Moline Cherry Red (the only other suitable color in our paint stash). In lieu of a mat, I did the prairie point border around the stitching. That was hard to get even. Since we did everything ourselves, maybe it will be extra special. If I do that border around a picture again I will do it with paper instead of fabric.
My flower quilt top is still held captive at the Methodist church where the quilt ladies meet. I will give it another week or so to see if they intend to quilt again before I try to pick it up. finished sampler.jpg

That turned out great.
Hope your quilt hostage is released soon.
My quilt guild meets at the local Senior Citizens center, so until they reopen, we can not have meetings. We are hoping to meet in June, as that is our "luncheon" meeting and last one before summer break.

I saw an idea to paint rocks like little houses and make a rock garden using them. I've been watching for rocks for 2-3 years to use. They are difficult to find the right shape or size. Finally got around to working on them this past week. It is a lot harder than it looks. Don't think I will be making any more. I just laid them in this pot to photograph; not sure what I will do with them.painted rocks.jpg

The quilt group that I left my flower quilt top with are back at work. I was really worried for those ladies because most are elderly and sometimes it's so bad for older folks to not have the stimulus of one's favorite hobby or past time to keep mind and hands busy. Hopefully they will all be happily back quilting now.

I was in the mood to cross stitch. In the Victorian era, people loved all kinds of nature things on their buttons: bugs, lizards, spiders. platypus, zebras--- Men also wore buttons with eyes painted on them. Sometimes it was a girl friend, or sometimes they just wore eyes to show they were men about town. There are button collectors looking for eyes, so I thought I'd try a couple cross stitch. It's worked on 32 count linen with 1 DMC thread. I used a gold metallic on the eye lash. There are 12 colors in that square inch.
green eye2.jpg

I've been making gourd buttons for a few years. Got requests for clowns from two different collectors. Hmm. I'm not really into clowns, but it's too hot to play outside so I tried making clown buttons. The request was for the clowns "to be doing something". So one is juggling and one is holding a sign. We'll see if the collectors like them and want to buy. (the cat is a metal button one collector was interested in and just got into the picture--you know how cats are...)

Attachments

• two clowns.jpg
    two clowns.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back