2020 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I could wait 2 to 3 months, but I don't think we have that kind of quilting group around here. Many of the ladies in my quilt guild pay for machine quilting or do it themselves (they have longarms). I quilt my own, mostly straight line quilting, but I don't have extra money to pay someone else (and that's fine with me, I like to do it all start to finish, even if basic on the quilting part).

I don't mind waiting. I don't have anything in mind for the quilt. Since I will be quilting on it with them, I am fine with having help. After they finish, I will likely use my hoop and add more stitching to it, as they are minimal quilters. At least then it will be all together and I won't have to worry about basting it. It is a queen size. They are charging $165. I couldn't have it machine quilted for twice that. I'm cutting all the left over fabric so I can make the prairie point edge on it. It took me a year to do all the applique; probably be another year before it's finished.
The ladies are pretty old--mostly in their 70's-80's. When they are gone, I suppose that will be the end of anyone doing hand quilting in the area.
Chandab, sounds like you really enjoy the piecing. And you are so good with color.

Sorry, Marsha, my comment came off wrong, and you can't edit later. If I were a hand quilter and could quilt with a group, I'd be all for that; but being I do machine quilting it doesn't feel like "my quilt" sending it out, plus I don't have the extra funds for it.
you are very patient and skilled to do prairie points and that is going to look so awesome with that finish.
I do enjoy the piecing and color/fabric selection, sometime I have help and just buy a coordinated group, other times it's all me picking fabrics/colors.

Sorry, Marsha, my comment came off wrong, and you can't edit later. If I were a hand quilter and could quilt with a group, I'd be all for that; but being I do machine quilting it doesn't feel like "my quilt" sending it out, plus I don't have the extra funds for it.
you are very patient and skilled to do prairie points and that is going to look so awesome with that finish.
I do enjoy the piecing and color/fabric selection, sometime I have help and just buy a coordinated group, other times it's all me picking fabrics/colors.
I'm impressed that you do your own machine quilting. Almost all the quilters I know, and they call themselves quilters, send their tops out to be machine quilted. I was told "it isn't a quilt until it's quilted". So, technically they are "piecers" not quilters.
I'm participating in an ATC (artist trading card) exchange with a button group right now. I've finished one, but may do another if I get an inspiration.
Also have begun another baby blanket in the bubble stitch. I like having a lap project. Have a sock monkey cross stitch begun, but I'm finding it so hard to cross stitch now that I will have to see if I want to finish it. I can see all right, but my brain seems to turn off when there are several color changes per square inch. I might modify it, and just make the monkeys all brown, instead of shading them.

I'm impressed that you do your own machine quilting. Almost all the quilters I know, and they call themselves quilters, send their tops out to be machine quilted. I was told "it isn't a quilt until it's quilted". So, technically they are "piecers" not quilters.
My quilting is very basic, but it's all mine, I mostly straight-line stitch, but have occasionally tried free-motion, but don't have the patience for it.

A member of my quilt guild gave me a horse wallhanging quilt kit, earlier this month. She had bought it to make for her DIL, but was informed that she doesn't hang quilts on the wall. I already had some fabric from the collection, well cause it's horses, so I bought it; but didn't know what to do with it. The kit has directions for twin size quilt, so that is what I am working on; just had to add two substitute fabrics to have all the right fabrics for the twin pattern. I took the picture last week when I was deciding on one of the substitute fabrics; luckily it arrived on Friday, cause our driveway washed out over the weekend, so UPS can't visit for the near future.
Anyway... One picture is my blocks I've started (much further along, but this is the only pic I have so far; the other picture is a saved picture of the fabric collection ad.

Attachments

• 2020 - winter enchantment - 4-patch trial.jpg
    2020 - winter enchantment - 4-patch trial.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2020 - south_sea_imports_winter_enchantment.jpg
    2020 - south_sea_imports_winter_enchantment.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 3
How is that project coming? She could have used it for a lap quilt. But it's your gain.
I am finishing up a little cross stitch on linen for a new grand daughter. I'm waiting for some heart buttons to come in the mail to put on the corners. Do not know when I will be able to get it framed, due to the virus. It will need a custom frame.
I do enjoy cross stitch, but I cannot do it well any more. I made lots of mistakes. I took out about half of everything I put in. Sometimes because it is a custom pattern, and sometimes because I didn't count correctly. I keep saying I won't do it any more, but then I can't resist and a pattern interests me. The nice thing, my dil has no clue about hand work and won't notice any of the mistakes! I might put some extra design in the empty spaces; not sure what might go with the monkeys. I did some drawn thread for the ribbon.

Attachments

• monkeys.jpg
    monkeys.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 6
Calving has begun, so less time for sewing, so I haven't done much sewing the last several days. I have the center done, just need to add one more sashing around, then the pieced border around (pieces are done, pinned together for sewing sections), and then another plain border. I might be able to finish it up this spring, before the mud is gone enough that I can get out to the barn and start spring cleaning.

I am finishing up a little cross stitch on linen for a new grand daughter. I'm waiting for some heart buttons to come in the mail to put on the corners. Do not know when I will be able to get it framed, due to the virus. It will need a custom frame.
I do enjoy cross stitch, but I cannot do it well any more. I made lots of mistakes. I took out about half of everything I put in. Sometimes because it is a custom pattern, and sometimes because I didn't count correctly. I keep saying I won't do it any more, but then I can't resist and a pattern interests me. The nice thing, my dil has no clue about hand work and won't notice any of the mistakes! I might put some extra design in the empty spaces; not sure what might go with the monkeys. I did some drawn thread for the ribbon.
This is darling.

571010AA-D379-442A-A887-00565F7F577D.jpeg I enjoy sitting on the ground by my grazing horses. It’s interesting to watch which vegetation they choose and which their lips pass over. They like to get close so I can scratch their stomachs as they nibble. So I am working on an appliqué piece about this. Dapper dans tail and mane are done with velvet. I tried painting the sky but the fabric is too uneven. Any ideas to put in the blank area? Maybe a sun?

I'm working on a pineapple quilt. I was going great guns on it last month but have put it away since the minis came home for the summer. I'm going to start working on it in the evenings again though.

Fun to see what everyone is up to.IMG_20200424_100220.jpg

More pieces together, the whole center is done, still have one more border to put on then it'll be ready for layering and quilting. I don't have an assembled picture, yet; but here's more of the pieces for the horse quilt

Attachments

• 2020 - winter enchantment - pile of pieces.jpg
    2020 - winter enchantment - pile of pieces.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back