2019 National Drive Spring Addition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomesteadFox

Reaction score
Is anybody planning to attend the National Drive this spring? This will be my first year attending and I'd love to meet some fellow mini drivers.
Maybelle will be going with me. We start conditioning next month as she's had about a year off.
49725087_10205364514108548_2960804047017213952_n.jpg

I am planning to attend. We have so much fun at the National Drive! I have attended quite a few at KHP, and was at the fall edition in Edinburgh last year. The new location is about 3 hours closer for me. Your Maybelle looks almost identical to my Sundance Kid, shown here with my Butch Cassidy.

Attachments

• BA1CD558-16D3-487E-A850-A69506B22BA5.jpeg
    BA1CD558-16D3-487E-A850-A69506B22BA5.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 4
I am planning to attend. We have so much fun at the National Drive! I have attended quite a few at KHP, and was at the fall edition in Edinburgh last year. The new location is about 3 hours closer for me. Your Maybelle looks almost identical to my Sundance Kid, shown here with my Butch Cassidy.

Wonderful! I would definitely appreciate having someone that knows the ropes there. I think the first day there, Thursday, a friend of mine will be coming and we will be riding our big horses. But after that she'll be leaving and I'll be by myself through the week, except maybe a day of the weekend. I plan on riding and driving both each day.

Diamond C they also have a Fall date in October.

Yeah I know but right now I only have a 2 horse trailer and have to put my wagon on a small trailer pulled behind the horse trailer. I don't lke the idea of going that far with this set up.

Yeah I know but right now I only have a 2 horse trailer and have to put my wagon on a small trailer pulled behind the horse trailer. I don't lke the idea of going that far with this set up.
Can't blame you there. I'll be putting mine in my truck bed.

I'm new and don't know what date is the National Day of Driving. How many usually attend an event and where do you go driving? Someone's property or are there country roads set aside for this event?

Hi Scotty! Welcome! What we are talking about is an event called the National Drive. There is an edition in May called the Spring Fling and one in the fall just called the National Drive. It is held at the Hoosier Horse Park near Edinburgh, Indiana. It is a casual, social drive for equines of all types and sizes. The organizers set up marked trails, a scurry course, cones courses, dressage rings, and obstacle courses. The park has several permanent hazards ( or obstacles) forCDE, and the organizers letter the gates. There are clinicians available for private lessons, and people to give talks on various subjects. There are camping spaces right near the permanent stabling, and hotels nearby. Check out the Facebook group The National Drive and the website www.nationaldrive.net. Come join us for lots of fun!

@Peggy Porter that sounds like a lot of fun to be at, even if I'm just getting interested in horses, especially the minis that i see here. Would a participant ever consider giving an interested beginner a short ride or stop to talk "shop" with some one wide eyed at all of that?

Oh yes! I think you will find drivers are some of the nicest equestrians! I’m not certain if you would have to register because of insurance concerns, but everyone I’ve met has loved to talk about their equines!

Yes I believe there is a small fee if you just want to go for a day, I'm not sure if that still applies if you don't have a horse. They are very nice and are happy to answer questions if you contact them. I have to agree with Peggy, I've had horses since I was 5 and never once felt like I 'fit in' or belonged to a group of equestrians, but once I started driving people just seem so nice, helpful and honest. They want to get everyone to drive! I'm sure you will have no problem finding people to talk to.

When I was just getting interested in driving I volunteered as a helper at CDEs. There are lots of jobs you can do with no experience, like operate a stop watch at a hazard or cones course. At least here they all rely on volunteers. Once I assisted a man with years of experience at the saftey check in just checking off names while he did the inspections. We had time between each participant and he shared a wealth of information.

That idea of being a volunteer to learn the ropes and see what it's all about is a great idea. I've not done a lot of volunteering but have enjoyed what I've done. Great idea and I'll need to check into it.

I've had some huge job changes this spring so I won't be able to be there the entire week but am really hoping to go on Saturday! Still would love to meet anyone that will be there

Latest posts

Back