2016 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look at this photo and I really want to take the quilt apart. But then I look at the quilt here and it looks nice, so I am thinking it is the photo.

How do you take photos where the actual colors come out to look like the true colors? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I take two photos at once with my camera - one with a flash and one without. I am in a room without windows so the only light I have is fluorescent. I'm wondering if I took it outside if the colors would be better.

Charley, the prints are very beautiful! Take a photo outside as you suggested. My first impression was that the red is slightly overwhelming and drawing the eye away from the print and a softer red might work better, or change the red piece right under the print to another of your colors, but it could be the photo as you said.

You always create such lovely work and ideas.

Try taking it outside, before you take it apart, as you said it might just be the lighting. I get some lousy pictures when the lighting is bad; I take most inside and do ok, unless it's really overcast outside, then I can't turn on enough lights inside to take a decent picture and just have to deal with it or wait to try again on a day with better lighting. [i don't have a decent place outside to take a picture, so usually just go with my best lit room.]

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try taking it outside on Friday. It is raining today and the next good sunny day looks like Friday. I see quite a few photos of quilts hanging on clotheslines. I wish I had an outside clothesline, but will figure something out. Maybe I can get hubby to hold it up high and hide behind it. lol I can still make changes to it easily, so will work on re-piecing this weekend, if necessary, in my time available. I was trying to use Christmas colors but not confine it to be used only at Christmas time. Maybe that won't work with this one.

On another subject, I found this tutorial to combine crochet and quilting. I am searching my stash today, mostly my fat quarters, for matching prints. I am hoping to get the squares done before the Olympics start in August so that I can crochet them together while watching.

This is a super busy week. A new grandson is supposed to be born soon and I am babysitting two under three tonight and tomorrow. Can't wait to meet and hold this new little one!

Last edited by a moderator:
The yellow is a little bright, but using it anyway. It's not quite as bright in person as it photographs.

2016 - laurel burch quilt - 2.jpg

Charley, did the new little arrive safely?

When taking photos, I think a lot can depend on the photo software and how much time one wants to spend editing the photo.

Love looking at all the pretty quilts. My Oklahoma one is still with the lady who is piecing it. Maybe she will have it finished next week. Then I will decide about hand/machine quilting.

My latest button project is a collection of similes. I'm having a very good time, going through my stash to look for buttons to match a simile. I found a good photo album at the thrift store and make the pages out of mat board. It will be an ongoing collection. On the facing page I'm putting the details, such as where the simile came from and details about the button.

Anyone have a good short & sweet simile? I might not have it yet!

book front.jpg

inside page.jpg

My neighbors are tearing down their old house so I salvaged the linoleum out of two rooms. It had a layer of wood floor and a carpet on top of it, so quite a few nail holes. But it works for my primitive projects. I used it in the back of an old drawer. This hangs on my porch. Repurposing is my favorite kind of crafting.

nest drawer.jpg

Off topic but wanted to share:

Our newest grandson, Luke, was born on July 7th; so he was 3 weeks old yesterday. He weighted 10 lbs 2 oz and was in NICU for a few days. He is doing great now. Just being the size he is made his delivery hard. So I have been helping out when I feel something is needed. Here is a photo of my daughter"s kids. All so much fun and loving having another little one in the home.

KateysKids2016.jpg

Just finished checking out this whole thread. There are some really talented people on here making amazing projects. I thought I'd join in since summer has slowed down and that means my knitting needles come out again. My 6 year old son is learning how to knit (his idea) with a bulky yarn and a simple slipper pattern. I can't believe the way he's taken to it. He caught on faster than most adults I've seen (kids seem to do that though). Won't his future wife be impressed by his knitting skills
default_smile.png
Hubby laughs at us sitting on the couch knitting together.

My next project is this Arrowhead poncho.

07278c2d73d2a27effa3410ffd0f93c0.jpg

I've been asked to make it for my Aunt by my Grandmother. I'm a little bummed because she doesn't want the cables (which kinda is what makes it the "arrowhead" poncho) because my Aunt is very petite with a very large bust. So it'll be very basic. However, I do get to add fringe. I love fringe.

I plan on making the same poncho for myself if I like the pattern and I'll do the cables.

I'm also taking a class to make a pair of fingerless gloves with a baby alpaca yarn that is so soft you can barely feel it. I'll post pics after the class.

Looking forward to seeing your version of this poncho. I love fringe!

Love this photo Lois! congratulation on your new grandson. NOTHING like grand kids!

Marsha I love that drawer!! that is so cool. All these quilts are divine, and the poncho!! wow. There is so much talent here, I don't know how you all find the time to do all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I started the poncho and without the cable it was so boring. I got 10 rows in before I decided it needed a little more design to it. So every ten rows I start to split the ribbing. I take 6 rows to split it then do 10 rows again. The end result is long diamond/rectangle shapes. I'll take a pic and post it in the next day or so. I think it makes it much more visually interesting without making it too busy. It's knitting up really quick so I should have it done by the end of the week. Then I get to go pick out yarn and make one for me with the cables
default_smile.png

Every two years I do a a special crochet project while I watch the Olympics. So this year I chose a combination Crochet/Quilt project. I had the 30 squares cut and sewn with batting inside each square before the start of the Olympics. So I am sewing the yarn on the squares in a blanket stitch and then crocheting a border around each square. I have many squares in various stages of completion. When they are done they will get crocheted together and then a final border will be crocheted around the outer edge. This is what I am working on for the next couple weeks. I'm not sure I will get it done by the end of the Olympics but definitely will have a good start.

CrochetQuiltinProgress2.jpg

The squares are made from quilt scraps and it will be a gift for a shut in or nursing home resident at Christmas time.

Put three of my finished quilts up on the Little Barn auction page, help offset yesterday's unexpected vet bill for Bliss, she cut her mouth and needed stitches (loaded her and momma up and off to town we went). Not how I planned to spend my birthday.

http://www.thelittlehorsebarn.com/cgi-bin/auction/catlisting?cmd=do_cat_listing&categoryID=435

Link should take you right to the right section, but if it doesn't, they are under gifts, under quilts (currently, it says zero items in quilts, but they are there, so click on it, anyway). TY.

I did another Oklahoma map. The Wonderunder worked much better than the Heatnbond. (The quilt guild still hasn't finished piecing the first one, which I dropped off in May.) I decided to try and piece this one myself. Just using a simple nine patch. I have finally figured out how to square everything with the centerpiece. I see I could have done the brown strip around the centerpiece a little differently, but it's going to work out evenly, so I guess that will have to be okay. I just went to our Walmart and bought fabric; didn't feel like trekking to a fabric store or ordering online. I am hand piecing it; I feel like I have more control over the corners that way, and it's more relaxing for me than using the machine. Haven't decided on a size yet, but probably just a twin. A quilter told me to "enjoy the process", so that's what I'm trying to do.

9 patch map.jpg

I did another Oklahoma map. The Wonderunder worked much better than the Heatnbond. (The quilt guild still hasn't finished piecing the first one, which I dropped off in May.) I decided to try and piece this one myself. Just using a simple nine patch. I have finally figured out how to square everything with the centerpiece. I see I could have done the brown strip around the centerpiece a little differently, but it's going to work out evenly, so I guess that will have to be okay. I just went to our Walmart and bought fabric; didn't feel like trekking to a fabric store or ordering online. I am hand piecing it; I feel like I have more control over the corners that way, and it's more relaxing for me than using the machine. Haven't decided on a size yet, but probably just a twin. A quilter told me to "enjoy the process", so that's what I'm trying to do.
It's looking good.

Back