2016 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My, I haven't been here in awhile. But missed y'all. Been busy with family and crafts.

GusQTop1.jpg

Here is the first of two t-shirt quilts that I am working on. They are for my twin grandson's birthdays in May. I usually stick to lap quilts so I was wondering how you sandwich a quilt this size without a frame? I am just starting to interface the t-shirts for the second pieced top so not ready to sandwich them yet. I think these are going to be fun to quilt!

How dud they turn out?

Lois

We shipped their quilts and they were so surprised when they opened the box on their birthday. They had no idea I had their outgrown t-shirts. So glad that I made them and that they loved them. They were talking and pointing out where they placed in the various competitions. Family and friends - this is why I quilt!

I have some of my previous projects about done, but no pics, yet. Will post when I get pics taken.

In the meantime, I'm working on this project for guild. Just one big star in the quilt, the rest are just assorted print squares.

Blue or print for center? Don't have more red, as I'm working with FQs (smaller cuts of fabric for those that don't sew). I know which way I'm leaning, just like to hear other thoughts.

patriotic for guild - star block blue.jpgPatriotic for guild - star block print.jpg

I like the print. What is the star called? It is sort of like my barn quilt. And I just saw it in the Civil War Diaries Quilt book.

I just ordered the fabric on Etsy for my Oklahoma project. Civil War fabric and Moda for $5 a yard!

I honestly don't know, it was in the middle of a quilt that is otherwise plain squares of fabric.

I finished off a rag rug. I was amazed at how much fabric it takes! Purchased several dresses and skirts at the thrift store, plus several yards of fabric. I didn't get it to lay exactly flat; it's hard to know how much increasing to do on each round. But it was a fun project. Good tv project--no pattern to follow and can be worked on practically in the dark. Got kind of heavy at the end!

rag rug.jpg

I finished off a rag rug. I was amazed at how much fabric it takes! Purchased several dresses and skirts at the thrift store, plus several yards of fabric. I didn't get it to lay exactly flat; it's hard to know how much increasing to do on each round. But it was a fun project. Good tv project--no pattern to follow and can be worked on practically in the dark. Got kind of heavy at the end!
It turned out very nice. I've never made one, but I've heard they take a lot of fabric.

I don't have any photos to share, hubby deleted them, but I did finish a horsey quilt that I call my Frankie quilt in honor of the old boy I lost at the end of March. It is also one to remember all the horses who have passed through my life. I have enough backing fabric to make two valances for my bedroom windows.

I really love this quilt top. It has almost 400 pieces in that outside border. Once I had cut it all, I thought oh no…all those little pieces….what was I thinking. But it went together fast and I love the look. I have it hanging in my sewing room. I am not quite ready to quilt it. Still thinking of what to quilt and where to quilt. Sure having fun with this one. It may be a keeper or may be a gift for a friend….who also loves it. The gold at the bottom edge will be the binding; it is just laid on top to give me an idea of what it will look like finished. My next projects will be a scrap lap quilt (gotta use up some of the scraps I have boxed up) and a Currier & Ives train panel lap quilt. Both are in the planning stage.

HHQuiltinprogress.jpg

I dropped off my Oklahoma applique piece at the quilt group this week.

Our garden club hostess has a craft project for us in July. I am helping by drying some flowers for her. We are going to make greeting cards. I experimented with a couple. Drew around my hand. I think it will be a neat keepsake; we will date the cards on the back. I printed "when this you see remember me" inside the card. I think the hostess plans to do more tussy mussy type arrangements on the cards, but I think the hand is a nice idea, especially as a greeting card for a daughter. Thought the flowered paper would look good, but I think it detracts from the drieds. The vintage kraft paper seems better to me. It will be fun to see what our artistic hostess comes up with. I dried pomegranate, black eyed susan, lavender, hydrangea, myrtle, and petunias so far.

hand cards.jpg

Just finished piecing this one. Still have lots to plan for the quilting.

PiecedChristmasTrains.jpg

Latest posts

Back