2016 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on the t-shirt quilts again. Getting ready to start quilting today. I was sort of looking at long arm machines at the beginning of the year and I found one on Craigslist after I gave up on the idea. I am amazed by it. Still a little scared of it to tell you the truth. Today I am loading the first t-shirt quilt and going to do an all over meander stitch on it. Wish me luck. It worked perfectly in practice. The machine is a Tin Lizzie 18 on a Grace Pinnacle 10 ft frame with q-bot software. I am so glad that I had room for this machine and frame. I rearranged the room around it. It is a work horse.

I have the material chosen for a baby quilt. My baskets are all crocheted and ready to embellish and there is part of me that keeps wanting to make some small embroidered bags. I think I will be busy the rest of the year and beyond.

Have fun with your Tin Lizzie, Lois. Sometimes I wish I had room for a long-arm and frame, but I don't, so I'll stick with my basic quilting I do.

Be sure to share pics of your finished products.

Next project has been started, I'm still working on my sister's, but these fabrics have been waiting for a project for a couple years, and I think I finally have an idea.

2016 - horse quilt start.jpg

Chandab, that panel is beautiful, where did you find it? I'm starting the quilt tomorrow with the horse fabric I purchased from you.

Chandab, that panel is beautiful, where did you find it? I'm starting the quilt tomorrow with the horse fabric I purchased from you.
I had bought it for store stock several years ago, I had yardage of each of the fabrics, I saved one panel for me, along with the little bit of coordinate yardage.

What the heck? I posted a picture of my latest project and now it's gone, along with a compliment someone made. What was wrong with posting a picture of my quilt in process?

Finished the t-shirt quilts in plenty of time for my grandsons' birthday in May

74ffe69749ddea2e6db0b7b702b133f0.jpg

99b76ec49fce352115e7604542cfd493.jpg

I took a class this week at the Extension office to make a barn quilt. Anyone else made one? We just did a small one, 2 X 2, for the class but "real" ones are 8 X 8. It was harder than I thought. Everyone but me taped their pattern off but I did free hand. There were about 13 of us and no one did the same design, which was quite interesting. I was thinking I'd sand mine to soften all the edges between the colors, but when I told my husband we used Sherwin Williams exterior latex semi-gloss paint he burst my bubble; it doesn't sand without curling up. If I do another one, I'll know more what to expect. Don't know what quilt pattern this is; maybe one of you quilting gals will recognize it.

barn quilt.jpg

I admire you crafty people! I would like to learn to crochet or knit this year. I've got a couple how-to books and DVDs that are supposed to teach you. My goal is to make an afghan. We've got afghans from my paternal grandmotherand maternal great aunt. I would love to be able to make some afghans for us and then as gifts to family members if I ever get that good!
Jill - start smaller and maybe look at different materials! I actually got excited by and started with a plastic knitting loom (Boye - red rectangle) and I'm currently using haystring as my "yarn" or "plarn" (coined by making the Wal-mart plastic bags into thin strips and rolling into a ball to use on a crochet/knit project. Common term now on the internet). I wasn't exactly sure what I could/was going to make but the first smallish rectangles have become "scrubbies" that I use to clean out the horse tanks (we have 4 - 100 gallon Rubbermaid tanks that turn decidedly, grossly green) and tubes that hold the Wal-mart type plastic bags, LOL. Now have a whole stack to take out and put in grooming buckets - they work great (like a burlap/cactus cloth) to pull winter hair off of these shedding ponies!

This one is not my first - but does show that I'd forgotten in between projects - how to "cast off" (end) the project. I left out a step on almost the whole top - causing it to not do the pretty top knots and to create a very tight, deep curve in the project. Yep, I could fix it - but that takes more time, more "plarn" and headache to make sure I don't undo too much of the project. Besides, it's the only one that doesn't curl up into a tight scroll, LOL!

16apr19loom094037.jpg

16apr19loom094128.jpg

16apr19loom094051.jpg

16apr19loom094106.jpg

It uses up quite a bit of that haystring, too. That was 2 strands (except for the first one and another using a thicker haystring - all of them have been using 2 strands on the loom).

Then started doing a VERY simple crochet pattern - chain the length of your foot and then single crochet stitches - to make a simple rectangle. Make 2. Then carpet stitches & a running stitch turn that into a pair of out door slippers (need to work a bit more on it, but!!). My grand daughters were very excited about theirs and I am now doing a pair for me. As fast as it makes up in haystring, I imagine it would be faster in yarn (it would look better, prettier, more colors, easier to do different designs, but I was trying to use the haystring up while making something I'm tired of constantly having to replace).

16apr15slipper214054.jpg

16apr15slippers223000.jpg

OK, now I have to go read all the rest of this thread, since I picked up on Jill's at #17 (page 1, I think).

Here's the tutorial I used to make the above slippers. There are a LOT of others - some might be easier to listen to or more difficult.

Beginner slippers with Glama

Wow, everyone's projects are sooo NICE!!

I've always wondered about the barn "quilt" - how to figure out the sizes etc... Marsha I also love the vignette!

Charlie - I can't wait to see how you do with your "Tin Lizzie".

There was another project or two I wanted to comment on, but forget which ones...

Chanda, I can't wait to see the finished project! It is going to be great!
I'm going to try to get the borders on before Monday, so I can take it with me to guild and pin the layers together on the tables at the center, easier than bending over my spare bed.

Latest posts

Back