2013 Feed Prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
What are you paying for your feed? I am in Canada, but I'm wondering whether Canadian or not if are paying more or less for feed. I purchased a bag of Purina Equalizer today and it was $26.85. I was only paying $23.25. I can't complain though, today when I got the feed (and 1kg of alfalfa cubes for my rabbit) I backed up to the loading door and went in and ordered the Equalizer. When I came out of the store the worker already had the feed in the vehicle. I just jumped in the van and drove home without any thought. I got home and went to unload the bag when I noticed there were 2 feed bags, the Equalizer and a 25kg of alfalfa cubes. I guess the worker saw alfalfa and thought I had ordered a big bag of it. 25kg alfalfa cubes are about $18.50. Our local round bales of hay are anywhere from $20-$35 a bale. Square bales about 30lbs-45lbs are $2.25-$3.75.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm paying $13 something for alfalfa pellets (20 kg) at feed rite; that's up a couple dollars from when I first started buying it three months ago. Rolled oats is fairly steady; up a bit one time, down a bit another time, it's $8 for 25 kg, on average. Frontrunner pellets

Are about $16 and I haven't noticed an increase in a few months.

Hay on the other hand, is a ridiculous price this spring, if you can even find any to buy. There is a big hay shortage here.

For a bag of alfalfa cubes it is $25

I pay $28 for the low sugar grass pellets I buy

For Timothy hay off the field it is $12 a 50# bale

Or $120 for a 600# round bale

It is not cheep but my husband is glad I am happy with my little mini girl instead of a big horse.

I'm in Montana, but I'm close to the Canadian border, so does that count. So far, the feeds I've been using for awhile have been holding steady on price; but next order at the store it could take a big jump. I pay $17.49/40# for the extruded feed I use, $16.50/50# for local senior, $18/50# for Low Carb and today I picked up a couple bags of Triple Crown senior $24/50#. I can get so-so alfalfa/timothy cubes for $11/50# bag or better ones for $14/40#. The timothy pellets I get were $13.50/40# in November.

I just bought a 50 lb. bag of TDI 16 feed for $18.95. I'm in Oregon. Having just one mini, I expect this to last quite awhile.

Alfalfa pellets are 20.00 for 50 pounds. Blue Seal Mare and Foal feed is running about 20.00 for 50 pounds and hay is 4.00 a bale for about a 25 pound bale. 5.00 for second cut hay.

I'm paying a lil less then $23 a bag for the ADM Glo line feeds. If they have gone up in price I haven't really noticed any drastic change. Maybe a couple of cents if at all.

Paying $14 a bale of hay.

Oh, and I was talking to someone the other day about hay grass bales...and they are paying $10 for an 80 lb. one.

Our feed actually went down! Purina Mini is $15 a bag here. Hay is still pricey, $15 a bale for 2 strand coastal.

Now Jane had relatives down from Maine for the weekend- she is paying $35 A BAG for the Mini feed! **THUD**
default_new_shocked.gif
Her hay is only $3.75 a bale, though.

Wow, I'm not far from Maine and the mini horse feed by Purina (I don't use it personally) is no where near that price at our Tractor Supply in New Hampshire.

Everyone will probably be jealous, but we pay $14 for the local coop feed and about $40 for a round bale which last a while with minis.

I'm only giving one horse feed right now (Purina Mini/Pony and a pelleted rice bran). Its been a while since I had to buy anything but I think the Purina was $17ish and the rice bran $25-$30. Both come in 50lb bags. I restarted my other 3 mares on a ration balancer yesterday as we are starting to work them more in preparation for our club's show season.

It's also a way to get them up out of the pasture at noon, which is my new plan for the spring!
default_whistling.gif

Our hay is an alfalfa/grass mix and we've been paying $5 per 30-35lb bale since September.

Corn futures have dropped dramatically with 2014 May corn going for <$5.50/bushel. As corn goes, so will the rest of the commodities and overall feed prices.

That's good news.

Dr. Taylor

$13.50 for 70/30 alfalfa/grass compressed Standlee hay and around that for timothy and orchard grass. Other local growers are comparable for two string.

Jealous of some of your hay prices!

I am from Maine and I am paying $3.25 per bale of hay , $65 for a great quality round bale and Omelene 500 I just paid 20.99 for 50 pound bag. The Purina Miniature Horse grain was 18.99 a bag.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Corn futures have dropped dramatically with 2014 May corn going for <$5.50/bushel. As corn goes, so will the rest of the commodities and overall feed prices.

That's good news.

Dr. Taylor
Yes, good news for those of us who are buying. Lousy news for the farmers tho. It would be nice to see a place where prices meant farmers got paid a reasonable amount for their work and buyers could still afford the products. Of course I am not niave enough to believe its likely (may as well believe in the tooth fairy)

I pay 24.95 a bag for the ration balancer I feed to my horses and hay sells for 3.25 - 5.00 a square bale(60-75lbs) and 30.00 -50.00 a round depending on size. I got lucky last year and got some excellent round bales, 1200 - 1500lbs, for only $25 each. It is green, high protein and leafy. I was thrilled to buy it but I know the farmer hardly paid for the fuel it took to put it up never mind his time.

Latest posts

Back