2012 Summer Olympics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Let's hear the the wins, the disappointments, and the what's happenings.

I will start it up. USA contestants pay income tax on their medals and earnings. Bringing home a gold gives a near $9000 cha-ching to IRS. That was news to me.

Loving the women's gymnastics!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in other words, it truly is "pay to play."

After years of sacrifice while they train, they may not be able to afford to medal (unless they cash in with that box of Wheaties or a stint on Dancing With the Stats).

I thought it was absolutely TERRIBLE the way they have stripped the "Moment of Glory" from the young 17 year old Chinese girl that beat the world record. They of course find it suspicious, which is fine, but then TEST for doping, and keep the accusations to themselves until AFTER the results. I just cannot imagine training so hard, shattering a world record, and then being made to feel ashamed of your accomplishment. What ever happened to the world of GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP???!!!

Also VERY disappointed with the Chinese Tennis team I think it was, that is being investigated for crappy playing in order to get weaker oppsotion teams to help them to win medals. I couldn't believe that when I heard it! Not even sure where that stands, as I had only heard the tail end of it once. I've not been watching anything. So again...What ever happened to the world of GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP???!!!

Thanks for correcting me Susanne. As I said, I has just caught the tail end of it, but I was sure disappointed to hear that crap was going on in the Olympics!
default_no.gif

I agree, Mona. It is very sad. I hadn't heard they actually stripped the swimmer's medals, but I would hope that they had solid proof and not simply suspicions. Does anyone else remember the 1972 Munich Olympics when 16-year-old American swimmer Rick DeMont was stripped of his gold medal for having taking (with his coach's approval) asthma medicine that contained a banned substance. The IOC recently reversed their decision and cleared his name, but I still remember the photo of him sobbing in despair. As crucial as it is to keep the Olympics drug-free, the officials have to have their facts before breaking the heart of a young athlete.

What I think is sad are the people who were not allowed to compete because of things said/tweeted that were decided to be inappropriate. Most of them really were not. I'll have to look up a few. One was a gentleman who tweeted after the US lost archery and said something along the lines of "that's ok, we're Americans, where's the guns". Now, me, coming from a big hunting family automatically think of competitive shooting, which is exactly what he meant. Because of the Colorado shootings, he was kicked out of the Olympics, without even being asked what he had meant. Lots of stuff like that....while maybe they should be more careful about what they say, it's getting a bit silly.

No, I never heard anything about them stripping the medals from her either. All I heard over and over on that subject, was how they suspected doping etc. and that they found it suspicious (and by "they", I am not even sure who it was, but was plastered all over the news) and that they would be fully investigating. AND, I agree, fully investigate, but why make such a public scene. Let the athlete ENJOY that wins...their moment of glory, and by all means, investigate, BUT, don't take away their moment, just in case it is a legitimate win! How sad that would be to not only win gold at an Olympic event, but also SHATTER the current record by an "unheard" of 7 seconds, and feel ashamed because you know that people are seeing all over the news that they think you have used drugs to achieve that glory. TEST FIRST, TEHN make those accusations when the tests come back POSITIVE! I don;t know, maybe it's just me being too sensitive, but it really bothers me with the way it is/was handled.

They are taxed on the honorarium and the value of the medal. In the case of getting $25,000 check when they win the gold
default_firstprize.gif
the value of the medal itself, being made of 1% gold, is valued at $644. If they are in the 35% tax bracket the tax is around $8986.

I would laugh all the way to the bank right after my photo session for my Wheaties pic probably.

I was looking at the list of all the countries that have contestants. I don't even know how to pronounce some of them! I will try to post the link. http://london2012.fo...pics/medals.asp The schedule tab is also handy.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting and rooting for Ashton Eaton who set a new world record in the decathlon at the trials in Eugene 6 weeks ago. Also looking forward to seeing Galen Rupp...first man to break Prefontaines world record in the 5000m ... Again at the Olympic Trials at Hayward Field, U of O.

Waiting and rooting for Ashton Eaton who set a new world record in the decathlon at the trials in Eugene 6 weeks ago. Also looking forward to seeing Galen Rupp...first man to break Prefontaines world record in the 5000m ... Again at the Olympic Trials at Hayward Field, U of O.
I just went to link I provided earlier and clicked on ATHLETES, then E, and " wallah" there was Ashton right at the top. He is a nice looking young man. Ok, headed to the R
default_xreiter.gif
on my trusty steed to check out Rupp.

I just went to link I provided earlier and clicked on ATHLETES, then E, and " wallah" there was Ashton right at the top. He is a nice looking young man. Ok, headed to the R
default_xreiter.gif
on my trusty steed to check out Rupp.
Rupp...hometown Portland. Ok guys, if I can maneuver around that site "it's so easy a caveman can do it." Go USA!

Women's vault...Mckayla Maroney...was so expected to take home the gold for USA. Not the best performance for her and Romania wins the gold, we settle for silver. Exciting event!! These girls from all over the world are so awesome and brave!

I have to say, I shall truly miss Michael Phelps after all these years. I shall also miss Misty and Carrie. Some of the greats, will be leaving us this year.

I do think this has been the most exciting Olympics I can remember though and I've been a very avid Olympic watcher for at least 40 years now.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back