2012 Summer Olympics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of course, I root for the U.S. in all the events...but I sure would of liked to see the double amputy from S. Africa win the gold in running...how inspiring he was!

USA rocks! Anybody checked the medal count lately?
default_new_multi.gif

I changed my topic tag line...maybe it was misleading...anyway .......how 'bout them athletes???

Last edited by a moderator:
I always cheer on the top athletes no matter what country they are from -- I get tired of the "go USA" hype along with the jingoistic medal count.

I have, however, followed Oregon's Rich Fellers and Flexible in Show Jumping (as much as possible without TV). They finished 8th in a very strong field.

I love hearing about the gold medal women's soccer match between the US and Japan. The two teams had such respect for each other, hugging one another before and after the game. THIS is what it's all about -- great sportsmanship.

I love it when they show the blasts from the past on tv!
default_yes.gif

of course, I root for the U.S. in all the events...but I sure would of liked to see the double amputy from S. Africa win the gold in running...how inspiring he was!
There all so many inspiring ones from all over. They are all amazing just for the fact that they made it there. When a gymnast gets a bad landing or a falls, no matter where they are from, I find myself cheerleading for them on their next try.

True Vicki, but this guy was the first physically handicapped in the regular olympics...both his legs were gone above the knees.

True Vicki, but this guy was the first physically handicapped in the regular olympics...both his legs were gone above the knees.
I know. He is amazing! I did not intend to sound like I was taking anything away from him.
default_thumbup.gif

I agree -- I love the stories of triumph over the odds!

So...for those who have seen multiple past Olympics, who is your favorite from way back when?

I wouldn't say these were necessarily my favorites, but I was so wrapped up in the 1972 Munich Olympics, and Olga Korbut and Mark Spitz really bring that time back to me.

Past...hearing the 1936 Jesse Owens track and field just this week. I had heard of Jesse Owens but honestly had never heard how it was Berlin, Hitler.

And then actual memories...Kerri Strug gymnast. Wow! Messed up, injured herself, and came back with a one foot, near perfect landing.....1996 I believe.

I am not much of a sports fan, but this year, did manage to get pretty good info on the schedule for the horse events, and managed to record most of them. My favorite is the Cross Country part of the Three Day; got to see most of the riders. Also most of the Dressage portion of the 3 Day, then the jumping part. I watch for the HORSES...I love to challege my own abilities to evaluate their athleticism(at this level, ALL are highly athletic, but some, are simply AMAZING, and it shows!) I saw a couple I'd sure love to sit on...and I don't even LIKE huge horses!!
default_smile.png

Like all 'judged' events, there are politics, and I thought, a BIT of a 'home-field advantage' in some ways...but OTOH, it WAS superb riders and horses who ended up on top. Two Brits ended up gold and silver in the Dressage Free Style(not sure whether that was a separate category, or due to an 'overall' Dressage score...I am NOT a dressage maven, just enjoy seeing the talents of the horses and (some of the) riders at this level.

Speaking of lack of SPORTSMANSHIP...the look on the face of that American young 'lady'? ...MacKayla?....spoke volumes. Looked like a overindulged kid who didn't get her way(and maybe that is close to the truth?)

Margo

I love watching the olympics...beach volleyball is my favorite to watch....I also really like the swimming/ diving and gymnastics.

Yes Margo_C-T, i agree,

The look on makayla's face when she won silver in vaulting was horrible! She wasnt sportsman like and didnt congradulate the winner/gold medalist, didnt even hug her back!!! She should be happy she was even chosen to participate in the olympics....and even though she was upset she didnt do as good as she wanted, that still doesnt give her the right to be mopy and crabby about it while people are trying to congradulate her silver win. I bet she feels stupid now that she sees how she behaved on TV...i was just really upset about how she acted.

I am not much of a sports fan, but this year, did manage to get pretty good info on the schedule for the horse events, and managed to record most of them. My favorite is the Cross Country part of the Three Day; got to see most of the riders. Also most of the Dressage portion of the 3 Day, then the jumping part. I watch for the HORSES...I love to challege my own abilities to evaluate their athleticism(at this level, ALL are highly athletic, but some, are simply AMAZING, and it shows!) I saw a couple I'd sure love to sit on...and I don't even LIKE huge horses!!
default_smile.png

Like all 'judged' events, there are politics, and I thought, a BIT of a 'home-field advantage' in some ways...but OTOH, it WAS superb riders and horses who ended up on top. Two Brits ended up gold and silver in the Dressage Free Style(not sure whether that was a separate category, or due to an 'overall' Dressage score...I am NOT a dressage maven, just enjoy seeing the talents of the horses and (some of the) riders at this level.

Speaking of lack of SPORTSMANSHIP...the look on the face of that American young 'lady'? ...MacKayla?....spoke volumes. Looked like a overindulged kid who didn't get her way(and maybe that is close to the truth?)

Margo
I have missed all the horse events...but hope to catch up later...thanks to the internet.

As far as McKayla, I think she was so disappointed in herself that she could not regain her composure...while no excuse for outright rudeness, the media is predictably having a hayday with it
default_no.gif
. Again, thanks to the internet.

Some of them have tweeted stuff that got them in deep stuff with their on country and if they had been from a different country it could be not so bad or could be even worse. So be careful little bird what you tweet is what they should keep in mind. Again, thanks to the internet.

And if I don't happen to catch an event on tv, I can do it later...sincere thanks to the internet.
default_thumbup.gif

Yes Margo_C-T, i agree,

The look on makayla's face when she won silver in vaulting was horrible! She wasnt sportsman like and didnt congradulate the winner/gold medalist, didnt even hug her back!!! She should be happy she was even chosen to participate in the olympics....and even though she was upset she didnt do as good as she wanted, that still doesnt give her the right to be mopy and crabby about it while people are trying to congradulate her silver win. I bet she feels stupid now that she sees how she behaved on TV...i was just really upset about how she acted.
I know, it reminds me of school pictures...but at least we got the option of a do-over.

default_blush.png
I bet she wishes she could go back in time.

I just heard free style wrestling is going on today. I am going to watch as much as possible. Should be interesting to watch wrestling that is not fake! Lol. My grandma always watched wrestling and while I did not care for it...I loved watching her watch it.

I do, however love to watch boxing.

Vickie a girl from Flint, MI took the gold in boxing the other day (I work in Flint and live about 60 miles NW)...I didn't get to watch it, I was working
default_sad.png
...I'm not sure of her weight class but she won...yah!

Vickie a girl from Flint, MI took the gold in boxing the other day (I work in Flint and live about 60 miles NW)...I didn't get to watch it, I was working
default_sad.png
...I'm not sure of her weight class but she won...yah!
Oh, cool. The girl that is 17?

I was glued to the tv during the free style wrestling. If heaven has television I bet my grandma Vara was watching.
default_firstprize.gif

yes, Vickie, that was her.

What did you all think of the closing ceremonies? I personally thought they were alittle wierd..honestly, kinda freaked me out...thought I was going to have trouble sleeping...lol.

I didn't get to see the opening ceremonies but heard they were very similiar.

yes, Vickie, that was her.

What did you all think of the closing ceremonies? I personally thought they were alittle wierd..honestly, kinda freaked me out...thought I was going to have trouble sleeping...lol.

I didn't get to see the opening ceremonies but heard they were very similiar.
I did not watch opening or closing. I only watched some of the competitions.
default_yes.gif

Although I didn't care for the closing...overall they did a good job with the games...I enjoyed watching them and will miss it.

Latest posts

Back