2012 NW BEACHDRIVERS' WEEKEND

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knottymare, your inbox is full!!

I heard that you have a mare and I just wanted to make sure that it was alright that I bring a stallion. He can be talkative, but is well behaved and I will not be driving him, just leading him/ground driving as I don't have a cart yet.

Knottymare, your inbox is full!!

I heard that you have a mare and I just wanted to make sure that it was alright that I bring a stallion. He can be talkative, but is well behaved and I will not be driving him, just leading him/ground driving as I don't have a cart yet.
Oooooooooooooh, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was full!

I am bringing my mare but as long as they aren't stalled together, it will be fine. I can't imagine there would be a problem.
default_smile.png

Here's a picture of Mingus in one of the pens in 2008:
MingusNNano.jpg

Sorry Susanne, it was the only pen picture I could find in my albums on short notice!

WashingtonCowgirl said:
There are several mares there each year so it's definitely important we be aware you have a stallion. I don't know if the rodeo facility even allows stallions (the Red Barn next door does not unless they are stalled rather than kept in the pens with the other horses) but frankly what they don't know won't hurt them as long as we arrange it amongst ourselves to be safe. I'm planning to arrive Thursday and I typically reserve the best mini-friendly pens for our group so what I can do is save you one on the end and we can make sure Spanky is stabled next to Mingus or my boys. If I can't get the end stall, we'll just put him BETWEEN Mingus and my boys! LOL. The horses can talk through some of the pen walls so I hope your boys is friendly with geldings.

I'm really excited we're going to see so many new faces at the drive this year! This is sort of my last hurrah in WA as it looks like the boys and I will be moving to California by the end of September so I'm glad I'll finally get to meet you all before I go.

Leia

He has been friendly with every horse he met so far, so he should be fine. I'll be there for sure on Friday evening. I'm picking him up that evening and we are heading straight off from there.

I'm going to try to leave work early on Friday so I can arrive before dark on Friday and stay through Sunday. I usually have a travel trailer to camp with so have gotten spoiled having a fridge, stove, bed, etc. I guess I'll sleep in the truck and food wise, not sure! I am happy to bring eggs and greens that I have an abundance of from my garden and hens. Will someone have a stove? I'll plan on bringing food for myself that doesn't require cooking ;)

Good question. Bob Graham normally has the camp stove but he's not coming this year. Hmm.... My parents will have their RV but of course there's not a huge amount of room on their little stove for big group meals. If any of you play a portable instrument, feel free to bring it. Susanne's Keith is an accomplished musician and often plays his guitar for us around the fire at night which is always amazing.

Leia

We'll bring a small cast iron skillet and a small pot for boiling water over the campfire, and we should have some room in our cooler beyond what we will bring. The more, the better, so if you have any of these items, be sure to bring them. We'll also bring some firewood, but again, the more the better.

We can do some great meals without too much fuss. We can pick up pizza for one dinner. BYOB.

A super salad plus a good, crusty bread would be great for another meal with no cooking necessary. We'd just need a big bowl and veggies from our gardens or from the local stores. Dressing?

Fresh fruit is always welcome!

I'll bring some fresh-ground coffee and my French Press coffee maker -- slow but delicious. That's the most important item for me! If you want to bring tea or cocoa (and a mug), we'll provide the hot water.

We'll want to be on the beach fairly early for low tide, so we may want to have breakfast when we get back, unless someone likes to get up really early.

If someone has a good bagel place nearby, so long as they're wrapped tightly they should be stay fresh throughout the weekend. That and some cream cheese would make a fantastic, easy breakfast.

I'd volunteer my famous guacamole, but last time there were no other guacamole fans, and Keith and I had to eat it all...

Here is a simplified tide table for the weekend. We can drive on the beach from about two hours before low tide to at least two hours after. It looks like we should be able to have one, maybe two evening beach drives.

FRI 8/31

Low Tide: 8:07am

High Tide: 2:04pm

Low Tide: 8:22pm

SAT 9/01

Low Tide: 8:44am

High Tide: 2:39pm

Low Tide: 9:06pm

SUN 9/02

Low Tide: 9:18am

High Tide: 3:11pm

Low Tide: 9:47pm

MON 9/03

Low Tide: 9:51am

High Tide: 3:41pm

Low Tide: 10:26pm

We'll bring a small cast iron skillet and a small pot for boiling water over the campfire, and we should have some room in our cooler beyond what we will bring. The more, the better, so if you have any of these items, be sure to bring them. We'll also bring some firewood, but again, the more the better.

We can do some great meals without too much fuss. We can pick up pizza for one dinner. BYOB.

A super salad plus a good, crusty bread would be great for another meal with no cooking necessary. We'd just need a big bowl and veggies from our gardens or from the local stores. Dressing?

Fresh fruit is always welcome!

I'll bring some fresh-ground coffee and my French Press coffee maker -- slow but delicious. That's the most important item for me! If you want to bring tea or cocoa (and a mug), we'll provide the hot water.

We'll want to be on the beach fairly early for low tide, so we may want to have breakfast when we get back, unless someone likes to get up really early.

If someone has a good bagel place nearby, so long as they're wrapped tightly they should be stay fresh throughout the weekend. That and some cream cheese would make a fantastic, easy breakfast.

I'd volunteer my famous guacamole, but last time there were no other guacamole fans, and Keith and I had to eat it all...
1. I LOVE Guac!

2. I can bring a huge bowl and greens, etc for salad and some chicken breasts for a salad if someone else will feed me on the other night.

3. someone please IM me their phone number in case I get lost or in case at the last minute I'm not able to go.

Otherwise, I'll be there with my horse, my sleeping bag and my greens and a bunch of eggs!

Cheers!

Correction: Looks like I'll be coming down on Friday, sad though that makes me. The van conversion is taking a long time and all three of us have come down sick in various ways over the last 24 hours so we feel completely uninclined to try and race out of here today. Drat it all! So I guess we'll be there about the same time as the rest of you. Oh, and I lost my cell phone overnight so don't be surprised if I don't answer phone calls today. *sigh*

Leia

Keith is on notice that we need to leave as close to 4pm as possible...which means we might get out of here by 6pm. My to-do list is giving me an ulcer...

I've PMed Knottymare Daryl's cell phone #, but perhaps someone who is coming earlier could send their number to her?

Keith is on notice that we need to leave as close to 4pm as possible...which means we might get out of here by 6pm. My to-do list is giving me an ulcer...

I've PMed Knottymare Daryl's cell phone #, but perhaps someone who is coming earlier could send their number to her?
Hee hee... I called your mobile Leia, no answer. Now I know why!

I also called Daryl. I was worried because I heard one of my kids cough and they had muddy noses. Vet said not to worry, everyone's horses around here are doing the same thing. It's just so dry and dusty. I took temps just to be safe and all 3 of my girls were under 100.1. So, we'll be heading out around 2pm tomorrow; me, Dolly and my little dog, Trixie.

My mobile is in my profile if you need it.

See y'all tomorrow
default_smile.png

I will probably be there around 3 or 4pm as I have to pick Spanky up at 1 and I am heading straight over from there.

You may be the first one there, Michelle. Can you save me the two pens bordering the arena (on the right if you're facing towards the road you came in on) that have a gate that opens between them? My boys can't be together at feeding time but Turbo doesn't like to be penned by himself so that set of pens is perfect for us! I close the gate when they're eating but open it the rest of the time and they share the space.

Still no sign of my cell phone, depressingly. Not sure what I'm going to do as everyone's numbers were stored on it.

Leia

Well, I'm out of my office at noon, then home to grab my stuff. Any last requests? I'll be swinging by the store for ice and a few things. Not sure what all I'm going to eat. So used to having my camping trailer! I'll grab what looks good and see you all there.

Just reminding those who might not have seen the warning about sand - bring a tarp to feed on. Michelle, I heard from Susanne that whoever gets there first try to put twine or tape on at least 8 pens. So if you get there first, in addition to Leia's, please grab 6 more.

See everyone tonight!

I just noticed that Google Map's satellite view shows the Red Barn (another day boarding venue) when you type in the Peninsula Saddle Club's address. I would hope that GPS would have it right, but just be sure you go to the Peninsula Saddle Club (it has a sign out at the road) and not the Red Barn. They're right next door to one another. (PSC has a rodeo arena but no barn...the Red Barn has...you guessed it!...a big red barn.

Well, we are home, safe and sound and just wanted to report that we had a BLAST! Great getting together. Such a great group of people. Very laid back and so much fun. I'll go into more detail later but just wanted to post a few pics. More coming tomorrow!

296513_4500300782833_159491169_n.jpg

480484_4500303302896_1020549293_n.jpg

251465_4500300622829_38936853_n.jpg
551768_4500301102841_2049349627_n.jpg

I had a fun time as usual and it was also great to meet new folks and their awesome animals! Missed a few of the old timers though... I guess they probably had other Labor Day weekend plans.

I especially enjoyed the comraderie at the campfire.

Dancer is a handful at the beach.
default_wacko.png
It must just be sensory overload. She wants to be in second or third gear all of the time, and try to stop her for long and she goes into reverse! She does better at the campground.

I know that I need to work with her more, and there are also some changes with her driving harness that need to be made both for safety and comfort.

Does anyone have the group beach photo to post? Can't wait to see that.

Daryl

Latest posts

Back