2012 NW BEACHDRIVERS' WEEKEND

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
2012 BEACHDRIVERS' WEEKEND

Peninsula Saddle Club

Long Beach, Washington

Labor Day Weekend

Friday evening, Aug 31 through

Monday afternoon, Sept 3

Please join us for our annual Beachdrivers' weekend -- a long weekend of driving, shared knowledge, good food and great company!

Everyone is welcome -- with or without horses, experienced whips and newbies alike. Be sure to bring your family, whether they are horsey or not -- this is a very child-friendly campground, and there is plenty to do in town and on the beach.

All horses are welcome, VSE through draft, driving or riding, experienced or green.

We'll drive on the beach at low tide (beginning about two hours before scheduled low tide and continuing until the water is too high). If you come for just a day, be sure to check the tide tables to know when we'll be on the beach:http://www.642weather.com/weather/tides.php

We usually haul over to the Seaview beach access at the south end of town; if plans change, we will leave a sign at camp.

When not on the beach, we'll drive on the Saddle Club's sand track and/or in the arena. If we all bring enough cones, we'll set up an obstacle course. (Bring any you have, but be sure to label them with your name.)

Those blessed with campfire cooking and organizational skills (i.e., not me) are welcome to plan a meal or meals, potluck or whatever, gourmet or basic. In past years we've had pizza at least on night, and espresso runs are an essential part of the morning routine.

For information on horse camping at the Peninsula Saddle Club, including rates, rules, and directions, here is a link:

http://peninsulasaddleclub.com/horse-camping/Corrals are available on a first-come, first-served basis, or by reservation.

Long Beach also has many hotels and bed & breakfasts, but if you stay elsewhere, your horse will have to stay at the Red Barn next door or elsewhere. The PSC requires that you stay if with your horse.

It's always great to know who's coming, so let us know if you can -- but feel free to join us on the spur of the moment...we're easy. You're welcome to come early and stay late -- we may head down the coast on Tuesday to drive at Sunset Beach, Oregon (between Astoria and Seaside).

We'll add more information as the time draws near.

Here is a video from our 2008 drive:

Working on the hubby now...
default_smile.png
default_pray.gif

Oh I wish I could go! my cousin is having a planned c section that weekend and I have volunteered to take care of her ranchwork that week. I will place it on my calendar for next year for sure!

I love watching that video. makes so envious of you all, and of course it lets me watch the beautiful Mingus
default_smile.png
Who is the bald faced sorrel? He is a very close match for colour/markings to my gelding that I just started in harness, Cruiser. It made me wonder if they might be related somehow since Cruiser came out of Washington.

Who is the bald faced sorrel? He is a very close match for colour/markings to my gelding that I just started in harness, Cruiser. It made me wonder if they might be related somehow since Cruiser came out of Washington.
That's my girl, Be Bop Farm Tuffy's Painted Lady Dancer! At 22 years old, Dancer's a four-time beach driver veteran now, and in great shape for number five soon!

I think Kari Ginther started the tradition. The first year, I don't think either susanne or I had a horse there, and we stayed in the Ginther's awesome little beach house.

Last edited by a moderator:
We brought Mingus that first year, but he wasn't driving yet, so we ground drove or led him while everyone else drove. That was the year Mingus decided the foam on the water was going to eat him and drug Keith up onto the dry sand. Keith was turned into a human sand bag and barely kept his shorts on...

Michelle, come on down anyway, even for a day. There's plenty to do and plenty of horses to drive.

I love watching that video. makes so envious of you all, and of course it lets me watch the beautiful Mingus
default_smile.png
You know...Long Beach isn't that far south of BC...I think you and your husband need a vacation!

You can camp in a tent, a camper, or in a van or other vehicle (One time we tried sleeping in our Corsica with the back seat folded down and our feet in the trunk...have I mentioned that I suffer from claustrophobia? Needless to say, this was NOT a good idea!) We camp an area next to the sand track...whoever gets there first claims a large area. Someone usually gets there midday on Friday, but Keith and I usually drag in sometime around 10pm.

I'm so glad you're coming -- this is a fun gathering!

You can camp in a tent, a camper, or in a van or other vehicle (One time we tried sleeping in our Corsica with the back seat folded down and our feet in the trunk...have I mentioned that I suffer from claustrophobia? Needless to say, this was NOT a good idea!) We camp an area next to the sand track...whoever gets there first claims a large area. Someone usually gets there midday on Friday, but Keith and I usually drag in sometime around 10pm.

I'm so glad you're coming -- this is a fun gathering!
Ok. Is there a camping charge or a cost to go? I read something on the site about a nightly fee, but wasn't sure.

Also, where do the horses stay? (Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, never done anything like this before lol)

I have the same questions. I'll be able to come
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif
and need to sort out my details but I'm excited and can hardly wait. Very likely, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday...

This is great that you both can come! I'm getting so excited, I can hardly wait!

The address is:

Peninsula Saddle Club

6407 Sandridge Road · Long Beach, WA 98631

Cost:

$20 covers you, your horse and your vehicle.

If you don't bring a horse, you count as an "extra vehicle" for our group, so it's just $10. Their pay system is via envelope and lock box; they do not take credit cards.

Horses stay in small individual corrals. These are on a first come, first served basis, but I've never seen them even close to being filled. The water troughs are rather gross, so we always bring a bucket or muck-type tub. Also, sand is omnipresent, so you may want to bring a tarp or a tub for hay.

The forecast (to the extent that you can trust a long-range forecast) is for cloudy skies and high 60s temps. The campground is sheltered from ocean winds, but it can still get rather nippy at night. We dress in layers and bring both a sheet and a blanket for Mingus to cover all possibilities.

Dogs are most definitely welcome, but should be on leash.

I'd like to say we have meals planned, but we're nowhere near that organized. We'll probably do pizza one night, and if our hens get busy, we'll bring enough eggs for at least one day's breakfast. For lunches we usually fend for ourselves. Stores are close, though not especially cheap. We can always get some additional meals going. Espresso stands are scattered up and down the main drag in Long Beach.

If you'd like to bring your specialty, we all LOVE to eat, so feel free!

We typically camp between the track and the trees on the northeast corner of the property. Keith and I will be there Friday evening. Hopefully, Leia and her parents will be there earlier. If you are bringing a horse, you might well feel more comfortable getting them settled in before dark. If you come Saturday or Sunday morning, you should check the tide tables (linked on my original post). We'll head for the beach roughly two hours before low tide and come back about two hours after. We favor the Seaview beach access, but if we decide to go further up to avoid crowds, we'll leave a note at the campsite. To be safe, try to meet us at camp before we head to the beach.

If you go to the horse-camping page

http://peninsulasadd.../horse-camping/

and scroll down, you'll find a satellite view of the Long Beach peninsula...although you'll get a more interactive view through Google Maps satellite view. Keith and I drive a white Chevy Express extended cargo van, and Leia drives a nearly identical van. Her parents will have their RV, so we should all be easy to find.

Let me know if I've left anything out.

Thanks, Susanne. I'm going to try to leave Friday afternoon so I'll be getting there Friday night. I'd love to help with Potlucking... I won't be bringing any cooking stuff as it is all in the camping trailer but I can bring a major salad - my greens garden is going bonkers. I can also bring eggs (my chickens and ducks are on overdrive). I'll bring fruit as well.

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

Thanks, Susanne. I'm going to try to leave Friday afternoon so I'll be getting there Friday night. I'd love to help with Potlucking... I won't be bringing any cooking stuff as it is all in the camping trailer but I can bring a major salad - my greens garden is going bonkers. I can also bring eggs (my chickens and ducks are on overdrive). I'll bring fruit as well.

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!
That is probably when I am coming down as well
default_smile.png

I've put Keith on notice that we must get there by 8pm at the latest. I may have to pour chocolate down his throat to keep him awake, but I am determined. If you do happen to beat us there, just know that we're on our way. One of the monstrous white vans (Leia's or ours) should be there at the northeast side/end of the track.

Fresh salad greens sound fantastic. And since our hens are just getting started, the egg factory is not yet in full production, so more eggs would be most welcome.

Back