2012 Nail Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pull the string off the feed bag. It needs to be very light. Try it that way and let us know what happens!

I used regular sewing thread and a nice size rusty old nail. When I held it over Choctaw it took off in circles like a helicopter blade spinning...! I wonder if this baby is going to be a handful. Lol. Choctaw's babies normally have her sweet, sweet nature.

So we've never done the nail test and decided to give it a try. Used a light string and a galvanized steel nail.

default_new_shocked.gif
Wow! The circles for the filly's started small and kept growing and growing - no matter how many times we did the test! Four of our mares tested for girls.

Only one mare tested for a colt, very small back and forth movement. She was open last year and had an inconclusive WeeFoal test at 60 days. She looks preggers, so fingers crossed! We're still waiting to catch the foal movement.

Yes, it was fun and exciting during these cold months while we're waiting for the baby bellies to grow! We'll keep track of the results each year, too.

Questions for those in the know: How far along does a mare need to be to try the nail test?

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I've had results at 6 days from last breeding & the results haven't changed. You should try it this year. Start before you breed her then very day till you get a result. It's amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
With two mares expecting I can expect nail test to be either 100%, 50%, or 0% correct.

ive tried the nail test after reading about it on here.

spice the mare i bred said shes having a filly both times ive tried and evenwhen the wind started up it couldnt change the direction of the nail

nugget our new pony i vrought for my daughter to ride has started getting wider so tried it on her twice and both times said a colt and it too went in the opposite direction of the wind when it started

it wasnt windy when i did the test but thought i would try it in the wind since it started while i was still out feeding them in the paddocks and had the nail in my pocket and the wind made no differrance once it started swinging it would wobble a bit in the wind away from the horses but once over there hips it started swinging colt for nugget and fill for spice.

so nugget might be 2 for the price of 1 as she is only supose to be a riding pony not a broodmare

Question has anyone had a nail test say mare was in foal that wasn't I had it be wrong on sex but not on if in foal or not

We've never had it say a mare was in foal that wasn't. This past year we had it indicate early on that a mare wasn't in foal only to change to in foal later on (and there was no breeding in between). We believe the nail is fairly accurate.

Question has anyone had a nail test say mare was in foal that wasn't I had it be wrong on sex but not on if in foal or not

Latest posts

Back