2012 Chariot Wreck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilbit1997

Reaction score
I've seen on Facebook that there was a wreck in one of the Chariot Races. Does anyone know some more about it? I have someone who might be building me a chariot for my gelding so would like to make sure I don't have the same thing happen to me. Also if anyone knows what the new rule changes might be? I saw something about a drop axle???

And if anyone could post pictures of their chariots that do confirm to the rules that would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks

Lizzie

I think some accidents could be avoided by following the rules. A Hand Gallop is NOT letting your horse run full out -as I have been seeing. The rule book states 'horses must do a hand gallop in unison, not at full speed or racing or giving the appearance of being out of control.' I missed one of the Chariot classes at Nationals; but during one class (and it wasn't the "race") the announcer actually called out "turn 'em on" or "let 'em run" at the hand gallop command. I don't know if there was an accident. If so, it was possibly due to equipment failure or a horse getting upset. But be that as it may, I think a TRUE hand gallop should be strived for. I may be asking for it with this; but, oh well, Fire Away (P.S. yes, my husband drives Chariot and yes, he gets bit by the speed bug, and yes, I give him an thorough ear chewing for it!)
default_torch.gif

I heard it was an accident in which the person tured out ok. Nothing other than that, just that the person really regretted strapping himself in.

I was watching when it happened. It was during a race. IMO they *could* put the pylons not as close to the corners, giving more turning room. The camera was watching the horse on the far side then suddenly the music stopped and the camera swung to where the man wiped out trying to make the turn. Couldn't see because of the wall. But it took a while to get the horse and man free. I wish they had announced later how they were doing. I hope neither had injuries. I saw them leave the arena and looked (sort of) ok.

This is only what I heard as I was not there. Saw the same feed as Robin. But the driver that wrecked was new to chariots and evidentally had been told the chariot he was driving was balanced wrong because of a cage he'd built into his and something about his axel. During the race when he went flying into that tight turn the chariot flipped and he hit his head. they had to extricate the horse. but i heard that he and the horse were ok. just shook up. probably the decorative helmet saved him from serious injury. Again this is only what i heard from someone who was in the stands. she had not spoken to the driver or the people with him

Thank you for posting what information you have. I, too, was watching the live feed and kept hoping for further information on how all involved were doing. I miss the days when people shared information about Nationals on this forum, as I strictly limit my FB "friends" list and hadn't seen anything about the accident.

As someone who is involved with the chariots this year and was actually in the race when this accident happened maybe I can help.

The chariot that was involved was sitting on a straight axel. It was up really high off the ground and made it really top heavy. They said it was built by a master craftsmen but IMO was not well thought out. The chariots that you mostly see have the normal drop axel, where as the body of the chariot is like in a cradle per say and close to the ground. Another thing is he was also in a box not just a bar in front like many chariots have but also had a configuration to where he had something behind him as well. Also he was tied in, I heard mix responses that he was strapped in or show management told that he couldn't go in being strapped etc...

We were all saying it was an accident waiting to happen and unfortuantly it did. You can see pics of the chariots at casey mcbride photography and you can see the difference, even more so in person. They are saying now that the rules will be changed to you must have a dropped axel and you cannot confine yourself into the chariot. Possibly be brought up at Convention. He was cut pretty badly but he made it, it could have been a lot worse as not only did he flipped but dragged a few feet because he could not get out of the box he was in.

I also was watching and could only hear the announcer saying that they were in control, and extricating the horse.

Then saw them walk the horse out, who seemed okay, and then two people helping the driver walk out. The driver gave a wave.

The scene was not visible due to the sides of the arena.

In my personal opinion the chariot class is definitely one place where helmets should be mandatory.

Genie-I agree about the helmets. It would be fairly easy to decorate/cover a helmet to resemble a roman helmet if desired. Design of the chariots is of utmost importance for safety and mobility. I know, personally, my husband has redesigned a number of times. He and Bo Step are often discussing chariot design.

I spoke with the driver's wife. Neither the driver or his horse were hurt badly. Bruises and scratches mostly.

Thanks everyone. So it seems it was just an accident.Added with the drivers inability to exit the chariot that made it so bad. The horse I plan to use is very controlled. Ive never hand galloped with him but canter all the time. I use him to go sledding in the winter. And I literallly tie a regular kids sled behind him.

Latest posts

Back