2010 Congress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All: I think it is wonderful that we have someone like Karen Shaw who will take the time and lay it all out for us. Wonderful, too, those individulas who rearrange their schedules and use their own money and time to check out all of these facilities. I think the move to OK is a good idea. Will I come to Congress next year? Probably not, but NOT because it is in OK, but BECAUSE it is in OK we might actually start thinking of making the loooon trip there one of these years. As for all the negative comments -- that's allowed because everyone'S opinions count, even if we disagree, but I am always amazed at the "me-me/my-my" attitude that is so obvious. Belinda's reply was right on! In the meantime, thank you Karen and Belinda! Your hard work is appreciated. Ta, Shirlee

This will be our first year for Congress---ever, and we are looking forward to it. Next year when it is at Ardmore it will be closer for us just a little, so we can be counted among the happy ones. For those that made what decisions they did, just remember, you can not please everyone at once.

Thank you Karen for explaining in such detail.

I would also like to give Karen a thank you for laying out in detail a lot of information.
default_aktion033.gif

And another thank you to Belinda who I personally know has spent a lot of time and effort trying to find the best option for Congress.
default_aktion033.gif

Leeana for all those that wont go their will be others who will just like any show. No few farms really make or break a National show and especially one who has not been even breaking even in the first place.

I know we will be there in 2010 for the first time!
default_smile.png
We are one of those that show managers love with those all around ponies/horses that go in EVERYTHING
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
one of those that show managers love with those all around ponies/horses that go in EVERYTHING
default_wink.png

Great ... we certainly need more folks like that ... maybe we can work toward actually getting more of the classes split then the way they ought to be! I live in perpetual hope that the proposals to split stuff won't always just be rejected, ignored or turned down. That would also help the bottom line. I know my entry check would be much bigger if I could actually enter some of the ponies I take into more classes.

Something else I was thinking about to help the bottom line ... any big show I've attended usually has a higher fee for tack stalls or stalls for decoration purposes. Some other big shows I've been to have had a minimum requirement, ie, you have to have "x" number of ponies to qualify for a tack stall ... or so many ponies to qualify for 2, etc. I know changes like this would impact us because we've got so much "stuff" w/ so many people (& all their clothes) and so much driving equipment. Plus, costume and saddles practically need a stall just for that stuff. And, we don't believe in too much prepping in the aisle unless we just happen to have multiple animals going in a session. Still, having those extra stalls is a luxury not a necessity so perhaps it's something those of us doing should pay for??? Something like that would be more palatable to the majority ... paying more for the extras that not everyone needs ... versus raising all stall or entry fees across the board which affects everyone.

With the bottom line a concern, perhaps both of those things could help out.

I know lots of folks looking forward to 2010 and the possibilities of the banner year it could be.

AHR

but i am going to make this year count at congress as i will not support nor be at Congress in OK...
and i have a feeling Congress will be moving back to where i feel it should be after 2010 and i hope that if what i think will result from this 2010 move does happen then then i feel a i told you so coming on.

I hate to sound like i am rooting for congress 2010 to fail in OK....

but i really think this was a bad move as the people from that area that ALWAYS attend congress would still be coming to congress if it stayed in its current area...

I can't believe that you would not support Congress for one year due to location. It sounds to me that you are hoping Congress does fail so you can have it returned closer to you. If people on Area V ALWAYS attend Congress in the current area, does that same thing not apply to you as well? Do you feel that just because people from Area V always make the long drive to Congress every year, that it is okay for them to do it, but not you???? That is kinda selfish. I just did a mapquest search, and Ardmore is 3 hours from Tulsa. You are willing to drive to Tulsa, but not 3 more hours further for Congress? In the grand scheme of things, that is not far for a National show. I just noticed that you recently are starting to be a trainer as well. What are you going to do if you have any clients that want their horses to be shown at Congress in 2010? Are you going to tell them "Too bad, they moved the location so I am protesting"? If you are a trainer, you are getting paid to go where the shows are and your clients want their horses shown, especially when you are just starting out. I am assuming that this is not a financial issue for you, since that was not stated in any of your previous posts.

I usually don't post on such a controversial subject, but this really irked me. I am a fence rider!!!! I will support Congress in any location, but your post ALMOST makes me not want to go to Congress this year and wait until 2010 to help make the numbers larger that year!!!!! I feel if anybody wants to attend bad enough, then they will make the drive. If not, then that is their choice, they will be the ones losing out on a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel if anybody wants to attend bad enough, then they will make the drive. If not, then that is their choice, they will be the ones losing out on a good time.

I think that in many respects, some of this "not attending" because of location is sometimes being blown out of proportion and even more frequently misunderstood and flat out misrepresented. That's not unexpected ... we have large facets of our own industry who may not be familiar with other parts of the society show horse world and how some of our people fit into that.

Karen made a wonderful post and pointed out about CHOICES. Please understand, not everyone who shows at Congress is ONLY ASPC/AMHR focused. Because of the location, I think several stables in one particular division will have to make a hard choice ... and in the end that choice may be to miss Congress ... even though they'd love to go. For years, these folks have been able to do both Congress & the Illinois State Fair because the events were close enough physically to do that. Now they won't be. PLUS .. the 2010 dates are LATER effectively putting them on top of other society shows and just a scootch closer to other even bigger society shows... that for some people ... will just be more important. Illinois is critical to other parts of their business ... frankly parts where they probably make more money and have more clients. First, it's the competition and money at Illinois. Second, it's the prep opportunity Illinois presents for Louisville. When you are a Hackney and/or Saddlebred person who also does Shetlands, you will have to make a choice now. Just because your choice is most likely Illinois, that doesn't mean some big scandal or some nefarious wish for Congress. It won't be a matter of them "wanting to attend bad enough". It's not a matter of missing out on the fun ... goodness knows there are often actual aisle parties at Illinois and many, many other big parties at Louisville. For some of these folks, LOUISVILLE is the goal of the year ... and Illinois is a major stepping stone. They probably can't justify foregoing the competition or the great rings at either for the Congress. Sad ... but factual.

It's a choice. It's unforunate that people will have to make them. But, THAT is the very nature of the horse show business.

If you see some differences in some divisions, please remember that ... rather than assuming someone is making a statement or being snotty.

Everyone has choices to make.

Amy

What a great post! You always manage to put into words so well what it would take me pages to say.

Wow!!! Where have I been?--Congress is moving west? Never thought I would see it. Hope it works out good. I know the move of Nationals to Tulsa was scary for some of us, but OH how I love that place now.

Got to thinking, now that I know that all you have to do with your miniatures is reg. them Show Ponies and they can perform at Congress, if you had a good driving mini and lived in North Texas or had a trainer around that Dallas area you could hit AMHA world, AMHR Nationals and Congress very reasonable, with the same horse. No wonder so many in the business are moving South.

Oh Renee you are too cute.... but I hate to bust your bubble...

Your little miniatures, if they are doubled registered ASPC/AMHR then you can come join us in Ardmore next year and compete in the Under division.

Here are the different divisions you can show in if you have one of these types of Shetlands:

Foundation...have to be Foundation Seal proving there isn't any Hackney, Welsh blood in their background.

Horses must be 42" & Under ONLY

Heel measurement not to exceed 1 3/4 inches

Classics.....can be Foundation Sealed but NOT Foundation in type (more stocky pony)

Simple breakdown of divisions

Over Division....42-46

Under Division...42" & Under

Heel measurement not to exceed 1 3/4 inches

Modern Pleasure....can be a high end Classic that breaks almost level in knee action but not high enough to compete in the Modern Division

Modern....the really high stepping ponies.

Simple breakdown of divisions

Over Division....43" to 46"

Under Division...43" & Under

Heel measurement not to exceed 3" in the Over division and 2.25" in the Under division

A Modern Pony that is 47' inchess tall CAN OBTAIN it's AMERICAN SHOW PONY PAPERS due to the height of the American Show Pony Division.

American Show Pony aka ASPR Division:

Any pony that is registered with the American Shetland Pony Club, the Hackney Horse Society or any pony that is the result of the mating of a registered Shetland and a registered Hackney pony, any pony that is the result of the mating of a registered Shetland and a registered American Show Pony, any pony that is the result of the mating of a American Show Pony to an American Show Pony is eligible to be recorded in the stud book of the ASPR upon the completion of an application for registration and submission of the appropriate fee.

A pony entering into the ASPR classes must meet the duall height requirements.

1. a maximum OVERALL exhibition height of 48" or less, from the HIGHEST point of the withers to the measuring surface.

2. The measurement from the HIGHEST point of the withers to the hairline of the coronary band, at the heel, shall not exceed 46", i.e. 47" overall height with a one (1) inch heel or 48" overall height with a two (2) inch heel.

The National Show Pony Registry aka NSPR Division...pages 302-318 if you miniatures meet the requirements put forth for that division and is broke to ride or drive then you can

bring them to Congress next year and participate in the NSPR division if they hold NSPR papers.

Yes, if you have a 34" horse that holds Shetland papers....ASPC (American Shetland Pony Club)...meets the requirement of an AMHR (American Miniature Horse Registry)....got their AMHR registration papers....and had AMHA (American Miniature Horse Association) registration papers, then YES your little 34" horse meets the requirements to compete at the ASPC Congress in the "Under" Division, they can come back and compete at the AMHR National show in the "Under" Division and move onto the AMHA National Show and compete in their "Over" Division. I'm sure there are horses out there right now doing just that.

Come on down next year to Ardmore, bring your ASPC/AMHR horse if you have one....if you don't I'm sure any of the Shetland Pony breeders would be happy to get one in your hands and come join in the fun at the ASPC/ASPR Congress. Since you are familiar with the drive to Tulsa, you will travel about three hours more South and arrive in Ardmore.

Then you can see all of the Shetland divisions and learn what they are all about and see why so many miniature folks are coming over to join in the fun of owning one.

Hope to see you there next year!

Karen

Man Karen this is HARD. I already went out and told Pucky he was going to be a Show Pony and going to Congress. I hadn't told Renee that yet though.

Okay what about page 69? I know where Puckys' mother lives so I think I can get her dn'd.

I know I can't show against the Reg. Shetlands in their classes, but couldn't Pucky drive or do something against other Show Ponies, it says he can be one doesn't it?

I don't want to have Shetlands, I just want to see if little Pucky could compete with some 12 hand highstepp'n ponies. Some judges say he has another lick, whatever that means. I mean he probably isn't going to win anything, except for everybody's hearts.

I am reading more about it.

Holy Smokes you can drive unicorn, oh, no I'll have get George trained to drive too.

I think they should have a costume class too for the show ponies.

To be registered in the American Show Pony division, (ASPR), your pony must registered with the ASPC, the Hackney Pony registry, or a foal with parents that are registered with either organization. To be honest, a 34" mini would be able to compete against the 48" Hackney/Shetlands.

Back