2010 ASPC/AMHR/ASPR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belinda

Reaction score
2010 ASPC/AMHR/ASPR CONVENTION

GENERAL INFORMATION

November 4-6, 2010

CROWNE PLAZA

201 S. SHACKLEFORD ROAD

LITTLE ROCK, AR 72211

501-223-3000

Room Block until Oct. 11, 2010

Room Rate for Convention: $99.00

Reservations: Phone 866-276-6648

Restaurant in Hotel serving Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner

Coffee Shop open all day

Indoor/outdoor pool - exercise room

SEMINARS AVAILABLE

TRAINING ,CONDITIONING, & SHOWING

Presentation by: Amber Montgomery &

Cyndi Kanzler

Friday, 2:00 p.m.

BREEDING & FOALING

Presentation by: Little King Farm

Friday, 3:30 p.m.

EQUINE DENTISTRY

Presentation by: Carl Mitz

Thursday, 2:00 p.m.

AMERICAN DRIVING SOCIETY (ADS)

Combined Driving and Carriage Driving

Presentation by: Maureen Harkcom

Thursday, 3:00 p.m

Door Prizes!!.

OLD TIME SOCIAL

Thursday evening

Dance—Live Band

Classic Rock & Country

Theme is “Retro—1950 ‘s & On”

Dress to your era and come have fun!!

Lots of shopping areas within 3 miles of the Crowne Plaza, various restaurants/fast

food in the same

area as the Crowne Plaza.

To register online with your credit card, please click

CONVENTION REGISTRATIONWhen you are asked for your “Organiation” during on-line registration – please put

AMERICAN SHETLAND PONY CLUB

2010 NATIONAL CONVENTION SCHEDULE

November 4-6

Crowne Plaza

201 S. Shackleford Road

Little Rock, AR 72211

(501) 223-3000

Tuesday 11/2/2010

9:00 am – Finance Committee with lunch break from noon-1 pm

1:00 pm – Show Managers Clinic

2:00 pm – Hearing Committee

Wednesday 11/3/2010

9:00 am – ASPC Board of Directors Meeting

3:00-9:00 pm – Registration

Thursday 11/4/2010

7 am–5 pm – Registration

8:30 am – runs consecutively with lunch break from noon – 1 pm

AMHR Committee

ASPR Committee

Breed Promotion Committee

Modern Committee

Modern Pleasure Committee

Judges Committee

Stewards Committee

2:00 pm – Equine Dentistry Clinic presented by Carl Mitz

3:00 pm – American Driving Society: Combined Driving Events, Carriage Driving

presented by Maureen Harkcom, Pam Ripperda, and Diane Zmolek.

8:00 pm–12 am – Old Time Social

Friday 11/5/2010

7 am–4 pm – Registration

8:30 am – runs consecutively with lunch break from noon – 1 pm

Classic Committee

Foundation Committee

USEF Committee

Amateur Committee

Journal Committee

Youth Committee

Royalty Committee

2:00 pm – Training, Conditioning & Showing presented by Amber Montgomery

and Cyndi Kanzler

3:30 pm - Breeding and Foaling presented by Little King Farm

5:00 pm – President’s Reception

5:45 pm – Banquet/Awards/Trainer’s Auction

Saturday 11/6/2010

8:00 am – ASPC/AMHR Hall of Fame Awards Breakfast followed by the ASPC Annual Meeting

Immediately following Annual Meeting – Stewards Clinic

3:00 pm – ASPC Board Meeting

Sunday 11/7/2010

8 am–2 pm – Judges Clinic

Last edited by a moderator:
Flights booked- hotel reservations made.. looking forward to another wonderful time at Convention

Wish the seminars were on Sat so I didnt have to choose between them and committee meeting but think it is a great opportunity to be able to go and listen and learn!

Still working on my "era" decision and counting the days. Really one of my favorite things of the year

Well thats to bad that the AMHR commitee is on Thursday I was hoping it was on Friday. Looks like I will have to miss it due to school
default_sad.png

how do you get to that? I am seeing session timeout when I click on the link

Thanks

Hi ,

I must have done something wrong when I put that link, but if you go to the ASPC/AMHR web site and go under Events there is a tab for Convention Registration and it works fine.. Sorry for the mess up...
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Which Committee will be discussing the measurement proposals?

Will there be a time for member input at the committee meetings?

I am guessing it will come up at the AMHR committee meeting there is usually discussion allowed meaning there are 3 speakers chosen for the proposal and 3 chosen against the propsal and then the vote is called for

Here are some general questions asked about convention that usually are asked and some answers from those that do go every year. This is to help those of you that have never been some idea of what to expect:

Question:

1. Since I have never been, could anybody tell me which meetings ARE NOT open to the general membership? I remember last year that they were saying some meetings were behind closed doors?

My Answer:

If you attend a Board meeting and they go into close session that is the only time we are asked to leave. All of the regular meetings are opened to everyone that wants to attend. You maybe asked though in some of those committee meetings by the chair to not vote on any issue that doesn't affect you. It has been asked in the past for those members that don't own Show Ponies to refrain from voting so that those members that do own, show and promote that type can vote on issues that affect them. I feel that is only right to refrain from voting if you don't own, show or promote in a certain division. I didn't vote (refrained from voting) on any of the matters before the Modern, Modern Pleasure and Show Pony divisions as I didn't own any of those ponies. If you own miniatures, Classics and Foundations then by all means you have a right to vote on those rule changes that pertains to you and your ponies that you own, show and promote in those division. Same in regards to the Steward's committee and judges, you maybe asked to refrain from voting on any issues there as well if you are not carded or in the process of making a new Steward or Judge.

Convention is a great time to see how your registry is run and to see many of your friends from across the US. You learn a lot while there.

Member Answer #2:

While the above answer is correct just to be clear to anyone who is not sure as a member you are allowed to vote on ANY issue so if you currently do not own a mini or a certain division of pony but intend to then by all means the vote would be important to you. I just wouldn't want anyone feeling like they are unable to vote on an issue.

Question:

2. Do they ever have more than one meeting/discussion going on at the same time?

It would be hard for me to choose which to attend.

My Answer:

The meetings are held one after the other. We usually have a 5-10 minute break between meetings to allow people to stretch and take a brief smoke or potty break.

The meetings are held in the same room each day. They take roll call by areas to document how many were in the meetings. Then when the proposals come up we read/listen to how they are proposed. Then the chair will ask for three for and three against to speak. If there is going to be any corrections, additions etc to the proposal, the author of the proposal is the only one that can change it. If they are there in person (reason why it's important for anyone who submits a proposal to be at convention) then they can either change the proposal or have it pulled. I do know last year we had one author on the phone while we were discussing the proposal, and we have had proposals submitted with two signatures of two people so if one couldn't be there the other could make the necessary changes or ask that it be pulled.

When the proposals are posted on the ASPC/AMHR website you need to go read each and everyone very closely, pull your rulebook, look at the current rule and then look at what is being proposed. Some of the rules are going to need teeth in them and some may not. If there is a rule that is proposed that needs some kind of consequence and there is none, then I would think long and hard before I would vote yes to it. We already have way too many rules that need fixing first before we jump off and add more to an already bludgeoning rulebook that needs major updating and reworking. That is going to take some time and our rules committee will be the one that will have to tackle that. Just keep that in mind.

In regards to a committee asking you not to vote...yes as a paid member with the ASPC/AMHR you have the right to vote in any committee meeting for any proposal that is before you. But if you don't own lets say a Show Pony, don't ever plan on owning a Show Pony, then why would you vote on something that doesn't pertain to you? I sat in that Modern/Modern Pleasure committee meeting last year listening to each and every one of those proposals before the floor. I sat there with another member discussing those proposals with her since she does own, show and promote those types of ponies. She and I would discuss the pros and cons, but I never once stood up to be counted on any of those votes. I felt it wasn't fair to those members who do raise, show and promote those types of ponies to have someone who didn't to vote on a matter that didn't pertain to me. This year will be a different story as I do own a Modern pony and will partake in the voting process this year. I don't feel it's anything against any member to be asked to refrain from voting if you don't know anything about the division in which the proposal is pertaining too. That's just my opinion. I have been attending the ASPC/AMHR conventions since 1998, haven't missed a one since that time and I have witnessed lots and lots of changes these past twelve years, some good and some not so good and have learned alot by sitting in those meetings.

Question:

In this schedule somewhere in the two days hopefully the PMC committee will be added as I have requested it to be included. To my knowledge it has not ever been on the agenda, but we do have a committee.

Answer:

PMC Committee meeting will be Friday following the Royalty Committee.

If more come up I'll add to my list.

Karen

Convention is a great place to learn about the registry and often times hearing other people speak for proposals either for or against changes my mind. It is a wonderful learning experience all the way around

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mary Lou ,

Is there anyway you can pin this a little longer so that more folks have time to see it.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back