2006 Oregon State Fair AMHA/AMHR show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
We headed out with three horses to show and one for sale/buddy value.

Just my oldest son and my two young boys and myself. A big handful and a mistake I will likely NOT make again.

We pulled in fairly late but got everyone bedded and fed and registered w/the show office (it was so cool to hear Mark Bullington announcing the evening's classes while I was waiting!) before 8:30 pm, mostly so we could watch Deadwood at the Hotel, but found out they don't have HBO anyway!

Next morning it was already HOT and the boys stayed while I got the measuring done (ha yay for the pre-measure cards!) then fed and went back to the hotel, picked up the boys and came back for bathing for the 1 pm show start.

Bathing three horses in a row is hard work, but it was awfully dusty and the horses hadn't bathed before they came, so off I went.

While I was washing Kyan, Lark managed to get unclipped from her tie and went bolting around for several minutes though I caught her luckily with the help of some nearby onlookers and other horse showers.

Not but a few minutes later, Bella did the SAME thing twice in a row, dodging out as I led Kyan to the wash racks! Luckily she followed Kyan right back into the stall.

We had had our excitement for the day, but I discovered when I went to examine Kyan's muzzle that he had reacted to something I used for shaving and had some irritation so I kept him out of his day's class to let it heal (looked sort of like a reddish irritation and it peeled, not a sunburn b/c he had not been in the sun at all, I think he reacted to the soap I used.
default_sad.png
)

Mouse went in, though, and won each of his classes and ultimately took Grand Champion Senior Gelding in the Under division! I had so many ribbons and things that I could barely carry them all even though Mouse wore two of the neck ribbons out! *LOL*

Lark did ok, she lost out to older mares and younger mares in the Jr. Mares class.

Tuesday we showed again AMHA and did quite well though a couple of new geldings showed up and outclassed Mr. Mouse and myself. (rightfully so I must admit but don't let Mouse hear me say that)

Kyan was Reserve Grand Jr. Stallion in the AMHA classes on Wed. (his muzzle looked fine by that day) and Lark again was just out of the upper three placings these classes were even bigger though (Jr. mare A).

Mouse had Hunter (A I think) that night and the classes were running very late. By the time we got in the ring it was 11:00 pm or thereabouts and I had planned on going in about 8:00 pm!

Our last and debut attempt ended up in us leaving the ring after three refusals on the first jump. This time, though, he blasted through the first jump (it seemed a tad tall to me but oh well) then jumped the next, refused the third, jumped it, then refused the fourth and jumped again the fifth and sixth to actually FINISH! We did our "trot four soundness which was a quarter mile in length (no lie!)" then waited for the placings though of course we did not win anything w/the mistakes we both made (oh we have a lot of work to do).

So I figured he would do better the next day in R Hunter. *LOL* No chance. Hehe, he refused the second jump and though he did jump it he refused again two more times and we only made it to the third jump that time. We got excused but still it's better than our FIRST try.

We had some time while we were waiting around to hitch him to the Hyperbike and ground drove him a bit. Then my son Ken took him for a short turn around the warmup arena and he did very well.
default_smile.png

I have pics to prove that he "took the plunge" and we'll be in fine form for our beach driving trip planned weekend after this one.

It was good to see everyone there. Pulling out of the show grounds it's always bittersweet the last show of the season and the Fair is particularly special b/c it was one of the first places I ever went where I would dream of having horses one day and maybe even getting to show them.

Liz M.

Boy, that last paragraph is just how I felt leaving the Iowa State Fair!
default_yes.gif
: State Fairs really get in your blood....counting the days till next year.

CONGRATULATIONS on all your awesome wins and accomplishments!!! I really loved reading your story. :aktion033:

Wish I coulda been there to help.....love bathing horses and a good rodeo chase
default_wink.png
: . My friend Lavonne always has this look like....huh?
default_wacko.png
: but it's a good kinda work and I like it. Nice to get them all spiffy and ready for the ring.

I wanna see some pics......let's see those ribbons! Good job Liz and boys.....glad you had a great time.
default_smile.png

It was good to see everyone there. Pulling out of the show grounds it's always bittersweet the last show of the season and the Fair is particularly special b/c it was one of the first places I ever went where I would dream of having horses one day and maybe even getting to show them.

Liz M.

Thanks, Russ, I remember your post about Iowa and I was still looking forward to our Fair.

I remember going as a spectator and how it seemed so mystical all those exhibitors behind the curtained stall walls prepping beautiful horses and working them in the early or late hours when it was cooler...the sounds, the smells the excitement and here I am a part of it and too tired to spectate! *LMAO*

Yeah we seem to have a rodeo or two at times! The ORSF fairgrounds is fairly secure but still I didn't want to chance her getting out into the parking lot or something like that since there were huge teams of draft horses warming up and hitching up everywhere.

I LOVE breed shows that are held in conjunction with county and State fairs. I will get the camera in from the truck and post my paltry pics (was too tired and busy to take pics but the show photog got some decent ones I hope!)

Liz

Liz, the draft horses are more likely to spook at HER! LOL. Then again, I don't think I want to see the eight horses hitches like the ones I saw tonight at our Evergreen State Fair spooking- it really isn't funny.
default_unsure.png
:

I am doing the happy dance that Mr. Mouse was back in the ribbons and Mr. Kyan as well. That is so awesome! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Poor Lark, but at least she got her rosettes at Spanaway. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs of your special fair experience and for making me remember my first fair as well. There's just something different about a fair.
default_yes.gif
:

Can't wait for pictures.

Leia

Sounds like you had fun and lots of exercise and excitement! Can't wait for the pictures.
default_yes.gif
:

Mouse looked fabulous both in and out of harness, and Kyan and Lark were exquisite! I loved holding Kyan and Lark for you, and only wish I could have helped more.

We had such a blast playing with Brandon and Colton, and once again I'm so impressed with Ken's maturity and the great way he has with his little brothers.

We had a great time...now it's on to the beach drive!

Ooh, cograts to Kyan and Mouse on their placings! And it sounds like it was fun, and interesting if also exhausting.
default_smile.png

Did Kathy H. show up?

Kari

Latest posts

Back