$2000 Dwarf!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickhorses

Reaction score
I am speechless. There is a dwarf someone is selling for $2000!!!. That is ridiculous! - dwarves are special needs and require a lot of care and upkeep. They should not be put in the wrong hands nor sold for exuberant amounts of money like this!. I hope whoever buys this will know this is a dwarf. I would hate to see someone purchase this filly not knowing any better and try and breed it not to mention if they don't know she is a dwarf, they won't know how to care for it!!!

I emailed the woman to inform her that her filly was a dwarf and she said that she knows what she is and that she also knows people will pay a lot of money for it! OMG, If that isn't pure greed, I don't know what is.

If anyone wants the link to the ad. They can PM me here as I can't post it directly on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif

This just makes me sick!!! She needs to be slaped in the face! Sorry but thats how I feel!!!

I know. I saw the same ad and also contacted her thinking maybe she didn't know.

Her response to me was that all minis have higher health risks than other horses and her sire and dam will continue to be used for breeding.

It is very sad what some people think of dwarfs. We went to a local horse auction and they had a dwarf for sale. The poor horse could barely walk, his legs were streched out behind him, and better yet, he was an intact stallion! I couldnt believe it when he sold for $400, not much lower than most of the horses being sold, and to a mexican charro none the less.

What a shame.

Worse, people will pay that money for a dwarf and then ignore nice registered minis that can't even bring a couple of hundred bucks.

Maybe with this economy she won't get it, I know I am getting just about zero response on my horses so hope she has the same bad luck.

BTW, Danielle, I owe you some pictures if you are still interested in seeing them, haven't been able to take them but should be able to get them this weekend.

PM me the link, you have me curious.

Sadly, there is a sale in MO where the dwarves bring a lot higher prices than the registered horses!

That is really sad especially if they are planning to reproduce more of them!
no.gif

Sadly, there is a sale in MO where the dwarves bring a lot higher prices than the registered horses!

I think I know which sale you are referring to and yes it is rediculous there was one that sold for $4000 and we couldnt get more than $300 for good broodmares! I was very happy though this spring when they werent bringing very much although still too much in my opinion! One person even no saled hers because she thought it was worth so much more...

We we're at a sale this year that had two dwarf "broodmares" go through, one went for 3000 and the other for 3200. The well bred horses with extensive show records couldn't bring a few hundred dollars. I truly believe that if you breed miniature small enough that they may produce dwarfs you have to be willing to take on the responsibility of either keeping them of finding them a pet home that is willing to care for them properly. I hope this dwarf ends up at an apropriate home:(

I truly believe that if you breed miniature small enough that they may produce dwarfs you have to be willing to take on the responsibility of either keeping them of finding them a pet home that is willing to care for them properly.
It's not necessarily/only "small" that produces dwarfs. Dwarfism is genetic, passed down through reproduction like other genes. Even tall horses can throw dwarf foals.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought a dwarf at a local horse sale in May, for $100. No one wanted her, but she looked pathetic, so of course I had to have her. She had horribly overgrown hooves and could barely walk, and matted hair at least 6 inches long and lice. While I was paying for her a man with several small children came up to me and asked me if I'd sell her, and said "my kids are heartbroken because we didn't get her". I told him she is a dwarf and she needed special care, including frequent dental exams and farrier work, and asked him if he knew anything about dwarves. He said no, he didn't realize that. So then I felt happy I'd bought her, if only I could save them all! The farrier who we've had working on her hooves said she wasn't foundered but it was pure neglect. She is walking and running now and I wouldn't sell her for a million dollars! I am so glad that we found each other that day at the sale.

I truly believe that if you breed miniature small enough that they may produce dwarfs you have to be willing to take on the responsibility of either keeping them of finding them a pet home that is willing to care for them properly. I hope this dwarf ends up at an apropriate home:(
Height has nothing to do with dwarfism. You don't produce a dwarf because you breed small minis. You could breed two 25" minis together every year their whole lives and if they don't have the dwarf gene you'll never produce a dwarf. You produce a dwarf because the horses you are breeding carry the dwarf gene. There's as much chance of a larger mini producing a dwarf as a small one.

Height has nothing to do with dwarfism. You don't produce a dwarf because you breed small minis. You could breed two 25" minis together every year their whole lives and if they don't have the dwarf gene you'll never produce a dwarf. You produce a dwarf because the horses you are breeding carry the dwarf gene. There's as much chance of a larger mini producing a dwarf as a small one.
Did you know there is a problem with Friseian Horses producing dwarf foals?

I had no idea! What do they look like? Same as a mini dwarf? Are there any pictures or info anywhere? I would love to read more about it.

I have seen the ad you are refering to, and also an ad for the filly's sire too. I see where she gets it as he also shows dwarfy characteristics to me too.

I am glad you notified the owner that it is a dwarf. By her ad, it really didnt sound like she knew much and was told the horse was a 'rare tiny' horse that wasn't growing any more, etc....

I am also curious and would like the link if anyone would be willing to send it

I am speechless. There is a dwarf someone is selling for $2000!!!. That is ridiculous! - dwarves are special needs and require a lot of care and upkeep. They should not be put in the wrong hands nor sold for exuberant amounts of money like this!. I hope whoever buys this will know this is a dwarf. I would hate to see someone purchase this filly not knowing any better and try and breed it not to mention if they don't know she is a dwarf, they won't know how to care for it!!!

I emailed the woman to inform her that her filly was a dwarf and she said that she knows what she is and that she also knows people will pay a lot of money for it! OMG, If that isn't pure greed, I don't know what is.

If anyone wants the link to the ad. They can PM me here as I can't post it directly on here.

Can you send me the link?

I don't see a problem with continuing to breed the stalliion and mare, they may never have another dwarf, as long as they are not bred together again or to another horse carrying the gene. A lot of horses that have built our industry to what it is today have had a dwarf foal, but without their other foals we wouldn't be where we are today. But responcible breeders know not to cross those pairs again after producing a dwarf.

Now selling a genetic deformity for big money is not respectable! I think many times the high price is due to false advertising... "the smallest horse" when really it is a dwarf and things like that. But even selling asa dwarf, how can anyone ask for that much? I can see asking for $200-500 maybe just to make sure, if someone is going to pay for a horse, they are more likely to take care of it than if they got it free.

I googled "Dwarf Friesian" and there are lots of hits. I think this is the one most have seen: http://www.dragonflyacres.ca/pb/wp_06597de2/wp_06597de2.html

I know I saw other pics somewhere of a dwarf Friesian, just can't remember where.

That was incredibly sad.
default_sad.png

No breeder, no matter the breed, should breed animals that have thrown even mile Dwarfs. Just too bad there are many people out there that do and on purpose and the pain they cause these poor animals because of their greed.
default_torch.gif

I truly believe that if you breed miniature small enough that they may produce dwarfs you have to be willing to take on the responsibility of either keeping them of finding them a pet home that is willing to care for them properly. I hope this dwarf ends up at an apropriate home:(

The size of the breeding pair has ZERO to do with getting a dwarf, just so you know.

Latest posts

Back