2 Year old open mare!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
I have a two year old mare that I noticed the other day with a small bag. She does not look bred, nor do I know when she could have been bred. I just put her with the stallion two weeks ago. I felt her and she sure seemed to be getting a bag.

This morning I checked her again and one side is a bit swollen/hard (same as first day checked) and the other side more normal but definately not maiden. I squeezed the more normal side and got milk?

How can this be? If she is not bred, which I'm pretty sure she is not, does this mean something? Illness, sickness, false PG? I have not noticed this before on other mares but of course could have missed it. I also do not recall her coming in this year either, I just thought of this. Surely she would have by now? But I have several mares this year that have not shown cycles nor do they seem to be bred.

If she was exposed at all it would have been the one day in August last year when my yearling got in with all the mares for a couple of hours. But if that is the case, she would be due now? She is not showing? ! What little belly she has I would attribute to pasture grazing. She is taller girl 33".

Any ideas? Very puzzling to me.

I have seen a mare get a little swollen in the bag during different times of her sycle but never a maiden and never with milk. I would be watching her very close and perhaps have her checked by your vet to see if she is pregnant.

Stranger things have happened than a yearling getting bred. I hope she is not.

We had a 2 year old Morgan one time that seemed to make a bit of a bag, and she had "milk"--I could get fluid out of her, and when we put a yearling filly in with her...the yearling started nursing from her. Our vet told us that there are a few fillies/mares that do this.

Latest posts

Back