2 steps forward, 3 steps back

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a larger trash bag on the whip today. He is doing so well! The only time he startled is when I flipped it under his back feet and he sort of did a little dance on it. I will begin trying some of Paula's challenges next. It's really rather fun to work with this! I hope other drivers are trying some, too.

The ground tying is fantastic. Look how well he stands for harnessing.

jdrivingground.jpg

He looks good and I'm sorry you had to make that decision...

Glad to hear that things seem to be a bit better, too.

Paula's challenge, hehehehehe - too funny!!

Today we took our 2 mile walk. Sometimes he wears the backpack for litter; today I hung a plastic bag on his halter lead. This has never bothered him. Clinking cans and bottles just make him want to nibble the bag. Sometimes I kick a tin can along in front of us and that doesn't faze him either. Quite a lot of traffic on our rural road this morning, due to a bridge closure on the main highway. We had a big garbage truck, farmer's spray rig, zooming commuters. The rattling trailers get his attention a little. Did the bag on the whip again today and I believe we can move on from that. I need to hang out the streamers. Worked on our side passing and he is getting the hang of that pretty well.

Ranger is going to a show home!

In his spare time, he will be working as a therapy horse for teenaged girls. (How he will love being primped and brushed and braided and stroked!)

It makes me ill to think of him leaving, but I think this will be perfect for him. He will go to a professional trainer before getting back into showing with his experienced driver.

I believe I gave him a good start and we have both learned a lot. This will be all Steps Forward for him.

So sad you decided to rehome your boy. It's not easy as I also have hated to give up on Seven. Good luck finding the horse of your dreams. Keep us posted.

Can you haul him to a cattle farmer to meet some cows?

My past mare was terrified of the neighbors dairy cattle. She lived here for nearly 4yrs and she never really chilled out about them. Their steers liked to escape 2-3 times a year and roam the open land on the right or the fenced pasture to the left. The owner lived up past the hill and trees, so we hear them during feeding and moving times, but never see them until some escape. My gelding and minis don't care one bit about the cattle, but the big tough grey horse turned into a shaking, bolting puddle! =)

Can you practice with scary things popping up in pasture while you drive? Like have family hide in bushes or behind fences with bags or rattles and randomly pop up? That way, he can get used to the "random" scary things, but in a safe place.

Can you haul him to a cattle farmer to meet some cows?

My past mare was terrified of the neighbors dairy cattle. She lived here for nearly 4yrs and she never really chilled out about them. Their steers liked to escape 2-3 times a year and roam the open land on the right or the fenced pasture to the left. The owner lived up past the hill and trees, so we hear them during feeding and moving times, but never see them until some escape. My gelding and minis don't care one bit about the cattle, but the big tough grey horse turned into a shaking, bolting puddle! =)

Can you practice with scary things popping up in pasture while you drive? Like have family hide in bushes or behind fences with bags or rattles and randomly pop up? That way, he can get used to the "random" scary things, but in a safe place.
The people who are taking Ranger have long horns. I told her about t his fear of cows and we believe he will be all right once he is around them frequently. That seems to be the way her works. He may not ever like cows but I think he will at least react them appropriately.

Ranger went home with his new owners. They were very pleased with him. I had him loose in the yard when they arrived and asked her to approach him, so she could gauge his reaction to strangers. She walked right up and he stretched out his head for her greeting.

She did not ask for a driving demonstration; she plans to ground drive him then put him with a trainer after World. She was very impressed with his ground manners and believes he will be an ideal candidate for the troubled teen girls she works with. They have equine sessions twice a week, and a few of the girls are frightened of the big horses, so the idea of a miniature horse is very welcome to the facility.

His life will be very different there, more regimented. But I believe he will benefit from their training, lead a broader life than here in my rural area, and be a good advertisement for his breeder in the showring.

Back