2 questions******please help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassett

Reaction score
West Central Wisconsin on the Mississippi River
Goldilocks shakes her head all the time. I have a vet coming tomorrow to look at her. She has ALWAYS done this to a certain extent. Her mother does the same thing. Sometimes I think she is just frustrated. Seems she does it less when I'm in the house just watching her.. When I go out she does it more. Is it just a ploy for attention? Well, having it checked out. Do horses get earaches? What else could it be?

Second I am going to post some pictures of Goldilocks. I hope they come out so you can see them. I have trouble posting pictures sometimes. Do any of you think she has dwarf tendencies? She is 7 1/2 months old and is growing. About 26-27 inches tall at the shoulder. She does have a crooked bite, sideways, not an overbite. Her one little leg is crooked. Her little face is shorter than than my others. Tell me what you think.

Bonnie B

Nikiaspicsforcfk2007.jpg

10-03-06minis014.jpg

Sure hoped this worked.
default_smile.png
Bonnie B

Whoops. One too big, one just right and one a no show. Sorry. But please click between the two pictures for a front view of her leg. Thanks.. Bonnie B

With pictures, winter hair,,,,,,it is so hard to say for sure.

I am glad you are having a vet out, especially for her little feet.

Please have a lists of questions for the vet and ask away. Your vet will know way more seeing her in person. Please let us know.

Oops, head shaking "can" be a sign of jaw problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're not getting much response because the pictures, especially with winter fuzz, make it almost impossible to render an opinion. I do see her crooked leg but she's not an obvious dwarf. As far as minimal dwarf characteristics I wouldn't even guess based on the pics.

It's hard to address the dwarfy issues with the photo(s) and your conformation descriptions you've given, although she may have what is called "dwarf characteristics". As she grows, you will know more for sure. She doesn't look to be an OBVIOUS dwarf, from what I can see.

Larry and I have a breeder friend in Texas who calls a mini with Dwarf Characteristics an "AAD" -- which means "Almost A Dwarf".
default_rolleyes.gif
: Some folks may tell you that your little one fits that description, but others may say no........Again, as she gets a little older it will be easier to tell. Also, more photos may be helpful......

As for her head shaking? It depends on HOW she shakes. Is she waggling her head -- making a big circle? If so, a horse will do that when they are irritated or frustrated about something.......If she is literally SHAKING her head, that could mean either an ear problem or a problem with her teeth that is bothering her. It sure wouldn't hurt to have your vet come out and exam things.

MA

Thank you so much for your honesty. I'm glad I got a response of some kind. I'm new at minis and just have so much to learn about everything. And I DO depend on you guys for advice. But like I said I do have a vet coming. Will check everything over. Thanks.
default_smile.png
Will let you know. Bonnie B

Bonnie,

Your precious little girl is so sweet! I don't know about the head shaking - maybe she has something in her ear - it is good you are having the vet.

As far as dwarf characteristics - I have seen her in person and I don't think she is a dwarf but there again as she gets older she may change a lot in looks.

I know how much you love her
default_wub.png
: and I do believe in your eyes little Miss Goldilocks is just "perfect!" and no matter if she is a dwarf, it won't matter - you will love her just as much!!

Hi Bonnie, dwarf or no dwarf she is a little doll, and she will repay your love ten times over. Make sure you tell you vet about her head shaking, and have her teeth checked, sometimes the two go together. Its really hard to tell with the pictures as far as any dwarf characteristics go, and time will tell, but I dont think from what I can see on the pics she looks like it. Enjoy her, thats what its all about! Corinne

Hi Bonnie, dwarf or no dwarf she is a little doll, and she will repay your love ten times over. Make sure you tell you vet about her head shaking, and have her teeth checked, sometimes the two go together. Its really hard to tell with the pictures as far as any dwarf characteristics go, and time will tell, but I dont think from what I can see on the pics she looks like it. Enjoy her, thats what its all about! Corinne
i agrre with this......

i also think ..people are becoming afraid of the "dwarf"thing..because so much is being said about it!!!!!!!..i have had big horses that head shake ..in the past..all for different reasons.........she doesnt look dwarfy from your pics.....but whatever,..she is a swetheart that needs love...and i am sure you will love her......

lol

I want to pretty much echo what some people have been saying.

The head shaking COULD be behavioral! It is important to rule out any physical causes first though.

I don't think she's dwarfy. Pet quality in miniature horses doesn't always mean dwarf!

She looks adorable, enjoy her!

Andrea

Back