2 month old colt mounting mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
My lil boy is trying to be a man!

At 1st it was cute cause I know he dont know what he's doing, so it was really funny and normal for lil boys. BUT today I notice that he dose know what he is doing and his lil wee wee is not limp but stiff and knows where to stick it on all the mares he's tring to mount in the mare herd. He's only 2 months old, born 4-27-12!!! Sould I be worried and wean sooner then normal or am I ok???

Please help as I never had a colt be so smart with his other head!

THANKS!

In all likelihood, you are just fine, as they aren't typically sexually mature before 9 months old. Mostly at two months they are just a complete nuisance to the mares. I'd wean as usual, but as he's so interested, only wean him with other boys.

You know what's ironic?

We had a colt born April 28th 2007....and he did the same thing as a two month old. Stiff noodle included.

Personally we didn't do anything about it. Our mares chased him away and we sold him as a yearling. None of our mares produced one of his offspring.

We had one born in 2010 (and now a gelding!) that started doing this at 2 WEEKS of age. No damage done....

default_new_rofl.gif
I have one monster that has been doing it since he was 2 weeks old and now at just over a month he tries to do it on me and the kids too
default_thud.gif
Where was that Filly Fairy when I needed her
default_thumbdown.gif

I recently had a mule colt born and he started mounting momma and a few of the other brood mares as well at just 6 weeks of age. Since he is a mule and sterile, I know I don't have anything to worry about. As stated above, you shouldn't have an issue with him breeding other mares, but just as a precaution wean him with other colts. You don't want pregnant fillies!

Just being a boy.
default_smile.png
He will probably tone it down some in the fall when mares are no longer in season.

Jan

I agree with everyone else - normal behaviour for these pesky little boys. LOL!!

Latest posts

Back