2 Month Old Colt Acts Like Stallion! Have you Had One?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a two month old stallion, I've had stallion colts before but nothing like this guy!

My typical colt smack their mouth when introduced to new horses, other mares and foals.... This guy is agressive, he pins his ears and walks in a circle around the mare like I've seen stallions do. There is no fear it's amazing.. Yesterday I saw him trying to breed our month old filly and some of the mares! I've had colts jump up on others but this guy was "ready"!

Have any of you had a colt this aggressive?

Our yearling tries to dominate our donkey. Luke is only about 30", and Sam is a small standard donkey... pretty amusing looking over and seeing two hooves and a muzzle tip over Sam's back as Luke tries to mount him. Ain't gonna happen... LOL. Fortunately Sam is infinitely patient and actually very fond of Luke. Maternal in fact.

No mares here so I can't comment on that... but Luke is a pill sometimes. Is yours also affectionate, fond of people, etc.?

We have had a couple that herd the mares and especially try to round up "their" mares when we turn out new horses. I have one lil guy that will challenge my stallion when out teasing. Its pretty adorable actually because my old boy looks at him like he is crazy ROFL! We have never had behavior issues from them later on, they act just like all the other boys when it comes to handling and training.

He would be abnormal if he did not act this way, he is just out of a high ranking mare, that's all!

I have one just like that , hes a 3 month old thats a torture to all of the mares (one in particular) and he is also out of a high ranking mare too , shes 2nd in the pecking order

We had a colt back in the 1990's that was breeding everyone on our place at 3 months of age! His dam was the boss mare and he got his dominance over the herd from her! He was promptly gelded and became a very sweet boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfectly normal behavior, in my opinion.

My greatest joy comes from taking these "uppity" young boys when they are weaned, and putting them in pasture with a senior stallion, who gently teaches them manners and their real place in the order of things. Fun to watch and when they come around -- they are quite charming.
default_yes.gif

Id be very worried about doing that , Ive heard stories of colts being savaged , it seems that not all stallions would teach them gently ,!!

No, I'm sure not. But I've never had a mean stallion -- or one that "stayed" mean -- wouldn't stand for it. And all my stallions learn to live in bachelor herds when they first arrive to make my life easier. May take a little doing, but everyone learns to do it.

My senior stallions have always been such sweethearts -- and good with all the mares and foals, even the ones that aren't theirs. So, no problems here adding in a rambuncious boy who needs some manners once he's left momma.

Oh yeah.... complete with snorting and teasing the mares AND trying their best to cover them!! Sometimes they are just too full of themselves. Ha, my worst one grew into the most mellow guy....

Yep, we had a colt just last year that was like that at 2 months old. I had put my stallion in with a few mares with foals so he could 'field breed' them. Well, when the mares came into heat, this little guy would go after the breeding stallion and try to bite him, kick him...........anything to keep the stallion away from the mares. Well, Smokey (stallion) was really good with him, but I didn't know how long that would last..............So I pulled Smokey out and hand-bred the mares. Bratty stud colts!! LOL

I had never heard this about the colts from high ranking mares. I believe the loud click I just heard was the light coming on in my head. That explains a lot about why my most bossy mare's colts are the way they are the most picked on mare's colt is just the opposite of the rowdy boys.

I certainly had one that was that way right away. Both colts were all male, but the second one had little man syndrome. I have pictures of him mounting (dominance) whatever horse was nearby. He would get fully ready to do the deed and he would boss and herd. He was sold with the intention of becoming a pet and 4-h, so it was understood that he would be gelded.

Latest posts

Back