2 mo old colt with over productive hormones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
I have a two month old colt with over productive hormones around our other mare. This colt willl literally run down our 4yo mare trying to mount her. Mom is running behind the colt trying to get between them and/or kicking at the other mare.

My vet will not geld him until he is 6 mo old and my husband wants to wait until he is at least 9 mo old to geld him. The colt is halter trained and does not act this way toward his mom just our other mare.

Would there be any harm in keeping Mom and baby seperate from the herd until he is around 5 to 6 mo old and then weaning him off and budding him up with one of our other geldings. Will an adult gelding be too rough in play on a 6 mo old colt? Will an adult gelding help teach him manners? He is pretty tuff little guy.

Any thoughts?
default_wacko.png

Much appreciated.

Sherry

I would seperate them, there shouldn't be a problem. yes, i think that a gelding in with him would teach i\him some manners

I agree. Separate them and then give him a gelding to live with. I think since he doesn't show the same intensity to his mom that besides hormones you are seeing a very dominant personality. Mounting can be a way to dominate another horse (watch colts playing) and it sounds to me like your little man wants to be the king of the pasture
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back