2 minis in a 10X10 stall...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
can I put 2 minis in a 10x10 stall? It would only be at night time - one is 35" and one is 32".......is this too small in your opinion?

Thanks

Our stalls are all 10X10. Mostly they are outside 24X7, but when needed, I have had 2 minis share a stall before. They did fine.

I have two yearlings in a 10 X10 just as you said only at night and they do fine. I do clean it to the floor everyday as dont want them sleeping in a mess but am waiting on a cow to be sold so am one stall short. Let me add though that they had been stalled with other horses in small confines before I got them so they were used to it. I also heve a mare and a two year old in the same stall together (not related) but theirs is 12 x 14 , The only problem I find is the stall tends to get messy quicker. (Duh) twice as fast.

Yes mine was a 10 x 10 split into 2 stalls ( 5 x 10 ) for a run in out of the rain and snow etc. and they did just fine..Even leaving in over night etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
would it be better to split the stall down the middle and make 2 - 5x10's or just leave it one stall??? What would be the best way to split down the middle? Somekind of gate...any suggestions or ideas???? Something simple I could do myself w/o involving hubby...he said no more building anything for animals for him, he said he was done
laugh.gif

I only split mine because of feeding them separately, and they led into separate outside pens as well. I just use some chain link panels that were easily put up and such, I put wood on the bottom so not to get feet into the chain link when they laid down... Gates are fine for this and cost is very reasonable also.

But with a sheet of ply wood and a couple of 2 x 4's you could if you want split them, I used the gates so I could go in from one side to another made cleaning easier that way and brushing and just being with them
laugh.gif

If it's only for nighttime and they get along, plus don't need any different feeding amounts, then you should be fine.....

MA

Thanks everyone, this would only be temporary until I talk hubby into adding on to the barn (this may take some work)...he doesn't know it yet, but I may be adding another body to our little hobby farm!

Mwwwhhaha, could it be one of those 1200 lb minis
whistling.gif

Mwwwhhaha, could it be one of those 1200 lb minis
no, don't I wish though...don't have the room for a mini that big at my place. I'll keep you posted, it's still in the works, haven't made a final decision yet...

I"d say flat out NO that it's not enough room and I'll explain why.

I did put two weaners in together in a 12 X 12 only at night too until they began to grow. It was mostly because they came here right off their mamas and were scared. I"ve done that a couple of times now.

But as they grew, they would learn eachothers habits, bad or not I dare say, and also begin to steal eachother's feed and hay. One will become dominant over the other in there and you are opening up a case of worms. Also they will become too dependant on eachother as well, when you go to work with one without the other having to tag along.

Then of course I had duel poop but the double pee was getting to me and I do use ample bedding.

I also wouldn't cut that space in half either. I just think it's not enough space. When they want to lay down and stretch out, someone always end up getting clobbered.

You may consider using some cattle panels off the barn as a temporary extention and throw a tarp up there on top or something for the time being.
saludando.gif

I have done it and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I have done it for 4 years and had no problems either. This was a building split into halfs..Then I would put a water tank on one end that both could drink out of worked just great.

MyYardBarn.jpg

Sheba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I agree with Marty- it's OK short term but then you start running into problems with dominance and one getting all the feed- unless you have time to tie up and feed separately, which would work. Of course my weaned foals always have ad lib hay so there are no arguments there, but I would not do this with two adults unless they were known to be the very best of friends, and the stall split is way too small- it's an annoying size that
rolleyes.gif
The smallest I would overnight in is 8 X 9, so, really it depends on how fast your husband can work, or how fast you can sell the cow!!! If they had free access to this space it could well work- horses tend not to get so territorial if they can come and go.

If they are buds then I don't think it would be a problem short-term. Mine are separated but I'm sure they'd love to be able to cuddle up together at night. On bad weather days when they don't go out I open the gate so they can be together and invariably I find them laying down in the same stall next to each other. Next month they will go into serious training so they will be in a boarding situation and will share a 12'x 12' stall but get daily turn out.

I think if you can keep them separate at feeding time or at least in an area that has more room away from each other, they will probably do just fine.

Last edited:
No matter what size stalls my mares have access to, they all huddle together!

I find the three of them all lying together in a 6x9 area, there are other places they could go!

I think 10x10 would work fine under the circumstances you explained. BTW If they don't get along 24x 24 wouldn't be enough to keep them from bickering
biggrin.gif

i to am in agreement with marty. I have friends that put 2 in a 12x12 or use a 6x12 and it works just great for them. so it can be done yes

I personally dont do that and my horses all have a min. of a 10x10 some a 10x20 and some bigger depending on the horse

but you will just have to see what works with these horses and go from there

I actually waisted my time building stalls. All of the have their own stalls but virtually never spend time in them. If I have to confine one for whatever reason they are available. In the end I just removed the removable partitions of three of the stalls and all of them bed down together. They have separate feeders for grain and one of them is tied up the others are free during feeding. They are free to run in and out day and night as they choose. The tied on will gobble his first then try to eat somebody Else's. Hay is free choice and there are no problems there. The ten by ten size spoke about IMO will be fine as long as the animals are not confined in it. If they can come and go it will be adequate size. If they are to confined I would make it much bigger as they will need more space to be comfortable and stay clean.

Well, I just got a mini donkey last week and we split a 12 x 12 stall down the middle, using a six foot plywood wall, a small three foot gate another three foot section. They were together for about five days previously and when we couldn't tell who's poop was who's and who ate what, we split it. I do have to say they are outside all day long and only inside at night and during storms. I also board, so I don't have the luxury of renting two stalls.

My new donkey's poop is really inconsistant, runny one time and firm the next (we weren't sure if it was him before we split them). It's been two weeks now, and he hasn't firmed up all the way around, is this normal for donks?

Latest posts

Back