177 confiscated horses up for auction *UPDATES 11/18 & 11/30 pg 1*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they intend to recoup much on them anyway as they've spent over $300,000 on them so far. Glad they are gelding the unregistered stallions.

Perhaps we can hope for lots of in-state-OR--WA state, buyers, since they are likely the only ones who would not be REQUIRED(NOT by the auction; it is not part of their job in this particular kind of a sale to 'require' a Coggins OR a health cert.)to have either a Coggins or health cert. or both in order to transport across state lines, no matter what the destination. Seems to me it would STILL be quite an issue for out-of-state buyers, since even should they choose a different vet, if the time frame is going to be DAYS before results are back, are they then going to have to just 'hang out' in OR waiting before they can take their horse home?

Definitely good that they are gelding the unregistered stallions; was this kind of add'n. info available in the online listing of the auction? I'd hope so!

As for the 'county' paying for things related to this....it should always be remembered that when 'the government', whether it be Federal, State, County, City, etc. is 'paying for it', that means THE TAXPAYERS---you and me---are actually the ones paying--always! Few governmental entities are going to have a budget that includes HUGE amounts for covering costs such as the ongoing upkeep, not to mention castration, of relatively large animals, such as ANY horses, even miniatures. Trying not to borrow themselves into a financial disaster, most are not going to expend any more than they absolutely MUST on the remediation of this kind of seizure situation. I surely HOPE there will be a way to recoup at least SOME of the expenses from the woman who got the horses into this mess....AND that she will be under SERIOUS penalty of law if she ever even contemplates doing such a thing again.....GRRRRR!

Margo

Margo-out of state buyers are more than welcome to bid by phone and the horses can be kept where they have been kept since the confiscation until the tests are done.

According to the county, the money has come from the funds they had set aside. The problem is that their funds are quickly dwindling as it is a "poor" county and they didn't have much more than that saved up. Kandi will be responsible for any costs that are not recouped through the sale.

As far as the gelding-I think it is a very smart move, especially if it is locals that they are expecting to do most of the buying. Unregistered stallions=more unregistered horses which unfortunately equals a greater chance they'll be put back into this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those hoping to take one home out of the state of Oregon that requires a coggins, dont try hauling without one. The checking stations where you have to stop is where you will sit if you dont have the right paperwork. The horse can be 'impounded' or there are other consequences... and you will be in big trouble. No the auction yard or state of Oregon does not require one to run thru auction, but they are not the ones planning on hauling out of state.

That is a ridiculous price for a Coggins test- is ANY going to the state or county or is the vet pocketing it all because he is 'convenient'. Folks also need to figure, if you have to leave the horse there for a bit, that there will be boarding fees? So keep in mind to watch for that too.

Any way for them to clarify all of those things for out-of-state buyers? I am 10 hours down I-80 from there, and would love a number of those miniatures. But there are too many buts, and in Nevada you had better have all your papers in order or they will and have confiscated, your truck, trailer, and animals, plus fines. Wish I knew someone going to the auction heading my way.

I see they now have a catalog and state the boarding while waiting for a Coggins result is free of charge. But how is someone supposed to get another vet to draw Coggins? Not at all likely and $150 is steep, here where everything is expensive it's $85 for Coggins and $35 for Health Cert. and you have to have both.

I pay almost $250 for a coggins and health cert (including the vet call) here...

I would suggest googling or perhaps asking Kathi by PM for names and contact info for other vets in the area. It would be a shame for such things to get in the way of adopting a needy horse.

For anyone questioning the legitimacy of this seizure, PLEASE talk to one of the many responsible breeders in the northwest. There is little tolerance amongst them for those who do wrong by their animals, even if they do manage to do business with those who do not know better.

There is NO BOARD being charged by the county if the horses are kept while coggins are being run.

Also, I am going through the pictures and trying to match up horses based on Kandi's website information. I won't post it anywhere since I could be wrong and the info on the website could be wrong, but if you would like a list of the horses I am able to match up (only writing down the ones with markings that I find as the rest are too hard to tell) please pm me and I will send it to you. There are some very very nicely bred horses in the auction and some old horses that really need retirement homes.

Well, the county is paying for the gelding but the buyers will pay for any coggins/health. No charge for boarding until coggins are done.

The county so far has not gotten a court order so can't do the transfers. I have heard they are working on it, but will try to find out more later. Someone talked to AMHA and they said if DNA matches then they will do the transfers, but want to call myself to confirm. There are a lot of AMHR only horses abd not sure how they will be handling it so need to call them too.

I am going through the list and there is a Bond AToy4UC son that's one of the nicer horses in the group, a Boogerman daughter, and lots of others with nice breeding. Hopefully they'll get their papers. Sounds like most of the horses 4-5 and under were never registered, but do have applications and pictueres done by Kandi. Will post more as I learn!

It sounds as if the county involved is trying hard to do the right things where the horses are concerned, and I admire that! Perhaps there is some local area horseman who could provide a list of alternate vets and what they would charge for Coggins/health certs, when they could do them on a horse if purchased, and how long the results might take? The 'no-cost' boarding should be very helpful to prospective buyers ,too. I just hope there are a good many folks ready and willing to do all it will take to do the good deed of giving these miniatures good homes!!

Appreciation to those of you who have worked to find out and share correct information in hopes of helping the horses, too!

Margo

You could send me information, your box is full and email seems to elude me at the moment. Thank you for all your work to find information for everyone.

Sorry, Becky! I cleared out my inbox so I can receive messages again
default_smile.png
I have gone through and matched all of the horses I can and also have received a list from a breeder that has been working directly with the horses and has been through the registration papers. Between the two of us we have the majority. I'm going to put pictures from the auction page as well as the pictures I found online on he list. So I'll be sending them out soon!

If anyone with access to the AMHA and AMHR studbooks would be willing to donate a bunch of their time to do look ups (foals, the status of the reg papers, heights, etc) I would be so very grateful. I think having that information would really help people know the horses better and create more interest.

UPDATE:

All horses will have their coggins and health cerificates done prior to the auction. They will also have anothrr round with a farrier and some dewormer. WOOHOOOO!!! The county is trying very hard to do right by these horses and get them into good homes.

Yes, but they are saying he is extremely aggressive along with one of the Bond AToy4UC sons so to make sure an experiences buyer gets them. I'm sure he used to be much easier to handle so hopefully with a little work he'll come around.

Well shoot! Thank you for your time and considerations, with all that's going on with Missy I had better rethink and not take a plunge right now. Hopefully I can be of use as a foster home, and if so that will be most important right now. One thing is for sure, I will have a gigantic supply of hay and feeds for any type of horses needing it (referrig to my other thread). I also have an expanded understanding of sensitivity to feedstuff. I am so glad to see the county going through the extra efforts for these little guys, I would really love to go grab up a dozen of them and give them the care they deserve.

I was contacted by a forum member who would like to get a couple horses that others may not bid on and is trying to get them to Kalispell, Mt. If anyone is coming down or knows of transport please contact me. Lisa from Horse Blanket will have halters and lead ropes for sale if needed at the auction.

Many people are doing what they can for these horses and it is heartwarming to see the mini community stepping up to help.

There is a group on fb if anyone is able to take a look with people who can asnwer questions that are working directly with the DA and horses. "Grants Pass Miniature Horse Auction" is the groul name.

There is a transporter who offered to travel for $3/mile for all horses together and can fit 15 in her trailer I believe. Very low cost transportation per horse if it works out.

Also, people are working together to try to only have 1 bidder per horse to sell them $1 each. This is so Kandi will not be helped in any way (the money goes towards what she owes the county).

UPDATE 11/18:

For those that asked for a list of the horses with names, dob, reg, etc., I have finally compiled my list. Now I will get reg #'s done, hopefully!

Here is the link to a pdf file: http://webpages.char...ssauction2.pdf

If you can not open that, I can also send a docx file, but it is VERY large. I am also working on putting it all onto a webpage so those without a way to access the documents can still take a look.

Your document is incredibly helpful --- thank you for doing this!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back