177 confiscated horses up for auction *UPDATES 11/18 & 11/30 pg 1*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CMHR has only had one person who filled out the appropriate paperwork required to foster

If they are slated for auction,, how can foster homes be used?

albahurst with this many minis going up for auction chances are some will get no or low bids, esp those with special needs. That is where rescues and foster homes come into play.

On another horse-oriented and very respected list, a member posted of going to the auction site, reading the 'small print' at the end of the horses' photos to find that it said that there would be an 'on-site' vet to run Coggins(I think to be required; certainly any horse heading out of the state would require one before it could be hauled across state lines), at an 'approx. cost of $150(!!!??), results to take 5 days and 'no guarantee' of negative results! I can't help but think this will adversely affect any possible purchases! Thoughts?

Margo

I know often at the local horse sale coggins are drawn at the time of sale and the horse gets a clip put in their tail, they can be transported. Horses going for slaughter do not require a test. Only costs $20 or $25 though, not $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
The site states that there will be a local vet available and coggins could be run for interested buyers, so it doesn't sound like a necessity. I just e-mailed and asked about that excessively high price, thought it might be a typo. I also asked for information on the hauling that is available. I'll post when I get a reply.

Alaqua did an awesome job of bringing Champ back.

Margo, I saw that price too, and thought the county must be trying to make some money off the sale, rather than worrying about placing the horses. $150 for a Coggins? I wonder what the Health Certificate will cost? What could they possibly think people will pay for horses with no papers? Then add $150 + Health Certificate on top !

I've looked at all the pictures in the "picture albums" and it appears all but a couple of the horses seem to be in quite good shape -- certainly not like "Champ" -- for those who remember him and his will to survive !!

Remember this rescue???

View attachment 12640

Certainly didn't see anything as bad as he was.

I just received an e-mail from the auction company. They stated that they are not requiring a coggins nor are they requiring that buyers use the county's vet-who was the one that quoted "approximately $150". They welcome buyers to use any vet, if the buyer chooses to get a coggins.

The auctions arranged hauling is only available locally.

The vet they used is not my favorite and $150 is excessive compared to other vets in the area. They are taking absentee bids and if you are out of state and need to arrange transport, I would be willing to offer boarding and transport to my ranch from the sale. Out of state friends have asked me to look at the horses for them and I am willing to help in any way I can. I have dispersed my horses and the ranch is empty and I can handle many horses including stallions until transport. I am under 10 miles away from the sale so contact me if I can help. [email protected]

That is VERY generous of you to offer this service to interested parties Kathi! Thank you, from the horses!
default_yes.gif
default_thumbup.gif

That is very sweet of you Kathi.

If I wasn't such a newbie, I would consider trying to get one of the little critters. I have a fear of buying sight unseen since I really am so inexperienced. I hope the little horses get to some good homes. They look so sad eyed and unkempt. I feel very sorry for them.

That's is wonderful, Kathi!

Also, do these horses really need to be as bad as Champ was to have been neglected?

I wonder how he's doing now actually. It's been a while since i've checked up on him!

The vet they used is not my favorite and $150 is excessive compared to other vets in the area. They are taking absentee bids and if you are out of state and need to arrange transport, I would be willing to offer boarding and transport to my ranch from the sale. Out of state friends have asked me to look at the horses for them and I am willing to help in any way I can. I have dispersed my horses and the ranch is empty and I can handle many horses including stallions until transport. I am under 10 miles away from the sale so contact me if I can help. [email protected]
That is generous of you !!!!! Thank you! I would love to see Winding Creek Colt Endeavor find a home, he was sold to Kandi about 6-7 years ago, an is an excellent stallion. Lot #16 black and white homozygous stallion. He is in excellent shape.

There have been a lot of rumors going around on social media sites regarding the horses, so thought I'd post a few messages from the DA and Auctioneer:

"We are not putting any of the horses down due to age. There is no minimum bid on the horses at the auction, but I imagine the confusion came from the fact that if people want to have the horses coggins tested that will cost $150. We have not made a plan for what will happen with the horses that are not sold at auction and we won’t make that plan until after the auction, but there are no plans to send the horses to slaughter – we are looking for homes"

"DA will require that you sign something about the intent on the animal. You cannot transfer ownership. SO, if you are someone who is a buddy of the lady the horses were seized from and you "think" that it will be easy to just bid for a "friend" you will face jail time and fines. it's a felony."

"They will hold the mini's where they are, in the groups they are with till being loaded to go home with the new owner. So no need for a temp. boarding place or staging area.

The 150.00 coggins was an APPROX amount, lab fee is 50.00 so cost will depend on how many go at once as they have to be shipped. Also time involved. They want to make it as cost effective as they can to help save money.

All unpapered males will be gelded, while gelding, coggins can be pulled on those, making it more cost effective.

Calif requires - neg coggins and health cert.

Wa. requires - health cert, no coggins."

And yes, Julie, we know you think the horses look great.

apparently i am not the only one that thought that.
Got that too. Any pictures of Winding Creeks Colt Endeavor's sire since you used to own him? Hopefully he will have his papers at the auction and it may help get him into a good home.

And again so it's not missed:

There have been a lot of rumors going around on social media sites regarding the horses, so thought I'd post a few messages from the DA and Auctioneer:

"We are not putting any of the horses down due to age. There is no minimum bid on the horses at the auction, but I imagine the confusion came from the fact that if people want to have the horses coggins tested that will cost $150. We have not made a plan for what will happen with the horses that are not sold at auction and we won’t make that plan until after the auction, but there are no plans to send the horses to slaughter – we are looking for homes"

"DA will require that you sign something about the intent on the animal. You cannot transfer ownership. SO, if you are someone who is a buddy of the lady the horses were seized from and you "think" that it will be easy to just bid for a "friend" you will face jail time and fines. it's a felony."

"They will hold the mini's where they are, in the groups they are with till being loaded to go home with the new owner. So no need for a temp. boarding place or staging area.

The 150.00 coggins was an APPROX amount, lab fee is 50.00 so cost will depend on how many go at once as they have to be shipped. Also time involved. They want to make it as cost effective as they can to help save money.

All unpapered males will be gelded, while gelding, coggins can be pulled on those, making it more cost effective.

Calif requires - neg coggins and health cert.

Wa. requires - health cert, no coggins."

i have a photo of him that is on my mantle, but i dont have a scanner, i could get it scanned and/or mail a copy to any one ending up with him, Winding Creek Colt Endeavor sire was Freedom Hill Farms Expert Endeavor. I dont know if anyone can tell in that picture, but that horses head in beautiful very small and tippy ears. If shipping was not so high, i would buy him back Kandi paid 3500.00 for this horse i found the receipt this AM. IF i lived closer there are a couple of horses i would like to have, but....too far away.

Found pictures of him. Since I don't own the horse, the pictures can be seen toward the middle of this website:

http://www.hurricane...om/Blank-1.html

Looks like he might be a bit tough to handle, but if he was sold that long ago, he's probably just not had much contact since then. Sounds like a lot of the horses are going to need a bit of work, but hopefully people don't hold it against them. I bet they'll come around quickly.

150.00 is VERY pricey for a health cert and coggins, we can get that done in NC on site at the local stock yard for 30.00 and that includes a health cert as well.

There are other vets in the area as was mentioned earlier in the thread that might be willing to go lower. It is just an estimate-$50 was the quoted office fee and depending on how many horses that sell will need them, it could be a bit lower. The DA has also stated that all stallions not sold with papers will be gelded. I am not sure when the gelding will be done, but it is not going to be included in the price.

i doubt they will recoup the gelding price on those horses i am sure the vet fee will be high on that as well, but maybe the state can pay for it,????? anyway i hope who ever ends up with them will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back