14% feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
I went out and bought feed for my new horses that are going to be delivered this weekend. When I went to the feed store to buy sweet feed for my full size mare in foal I asked the woman what mini people around here feed their horses. She told me that the mini breeders recommended and fed Horsemen's Edge which is a 14% pellet feed. Would htis be too much for a minis' who are also on pasture grazing too?

Edited

"When I went to the feed store to feed sweet feed for my full size mare in foal..."

stupid.gif
It's been a loooong day

Last edited by a moderator:
um, ok. I guess maybe a better question is what kind of feed do you guys recommend for pleasure mini's who are kept on pasture?

I like a good sweet feed for its food value and for their sweet tooth. I tend to shy away from pellets ( personal preference). Most pellets are complete rations. Many people feed complete feeds but again I like feeding hay so they have it to occupy their little minds. Feeding hay with a complete feed defeats the whole rationale behind a complete feed.

justaboutgeese said:
I like a good sweet feed for its food value and for their sweet tooth.  I tend to shy away from pellets ( personal preference).   Most pellets are complete rations.  Many people feed complete feeds but again I like feeding hay so they have it to occupy their little minds.  Feeding hay with a complete feed defeats the whole rationale behind a complete feed.
464695[/snapback]

That does make sence, and since my mini's are going to have plenty to graze on they probably don't need a complete feed then, right?

Now, my quarter horse mare is getting sweet feed. It's Omelen 200 by purina, it's another 14% protein feed. It's made for proformance horses (but also good for mares in foal). Do you think this would be too much the minis?

What kind of sweet feed would recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fed omolene 200 for last two years. I have used it for pregnant mares, show horses and pets only, along with good orchard hay.Mine are on dry lot and /or stalled.

Being on pasture and not showing I would be feeding the omolene 100 only.

Other than grass what kind of hay are you (or will you) be feeding. With a good quality hay alot of the protein will be in the hay. 14% is fine but if you have really nice hay (my preference is not alot of alfalfa) a 12% sweet feed might be more in line with thier needs. Minis get fat just standing by an empty feed bag. Excercise is important to keep them slim and trim.

justaboutgeese said:
Other than grass what kind of hay are you (or will you) be feeding.  With a good quality hay alot of the protein will be in the hay.  14% is fine but if you have really nice hay (my preference is not alot of alfalfa) a 12% sweet feed might be more in line with thier needs.  Minis get fat just standing by an empty feed bag.  Excercise is important to keep them slim and trim.
464708[/snapback]

So now, even though they are on pasture 24/7 they still need hay?

I'm sorry to sound so dumb, LOL
wacko.gif
These are my first mini's, and really the first horses that I've owned (I've worked and ridden for a years at barns with the big guys), but I've never had a chance to own my own horses.

How much hay and what type do you guys reccomend?

No, on pasture they do NOT need hay!! Not if it's still good. A lot of people bring their horses up at night, for various reasons. Mine are all out except two weaned foals and a new yearling- the "out" lot get nothing- zilch, nada!! No hay, no feed- not yet. I do not feed the in foal mares, I do not feed the foaled mares- they get grass. Mind it is good grass, and it is varied , horse grass. If they even looked anything like thin I would feed but they are all as fat as butter and I still have 5 acres of good grazing to strip graze so it is unlikely thay will get fed before Christmas. I play it by ear though- I have one old mare who does need a feed and she is brought up and fed each day, and the old stallion, but no-one else. If your grass is good there is no need to feed unless the horses are on a rigorous exercise or showing routine.

Latest posts

Back