13 Year Old Son Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Last Tuesday, David was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. His blood sugar level was over 600. We're told the "onset" manifests itself with an episode.

DavidGoldie12CROP.jpg

Poor kid was so dehydrated, an anesthesiologist was called in to find a vein to start running IV fluids. Until the third bag finished, David looked like a concentration camp survivor. Skin was ashen, black around the eyes, barely coherent.

Long story short, on the third day of hospitalization, the reality of facing life of insulin injections and fear of being stigmatized at school set in. Through tears (rare) David frustratedly asked the doctor, "WHY ME?" More perplexing to the doctor was verbalizing his wish to be "handicapped in a wheelchair".

As some of you may know, David has a high functioning form of autism called Asbergers Syndrome. With a delicate prodding of a mother who knows her child, it seems David formulated the idea that diabetes will cease his participation in sports. (He'd prefer an outward sign of a limitation).

The wise doctor told David that his diabetes will actually give him an edge when he competes in track, since he'll be regulating his blood for optimum performance.

Today was his first day back at school -- and looked forward to seeing friends. Funny, the kid had his testing equipment attached to his belt, with a positive attitude beaming from his soul.

QUESTION: If any of you folks have a teenager living with Type 1 diabetes who'd be interested in corresponding with David, it'd be very much appreciated.

Here's our e-mail address: [email protected]

Many, many thanks!

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cindy,

I just sent you a private email, I hope you don't mind! Our son was diagnosed 1.5 years ago with Type 1 and I can so relate to what your going thru. I'm happy to chat with you and I'm sure that Andrew would be more than happy to talk with your son.
default_smile.png
Hang in there I promise that the sun will shine again for all of you!

Denice

www.minidistractions.com

Last Tuesday, David was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. His blood sugar level was over 600. We're told the "onset" manifests itself with an episode.

DavidGoldie12CROP.jpg

Poor kid was so dehydrated, an anesthesiologist was called in to find a vein to start running IV fluids. Until the third bag finished, David looked like a concentration camp survivor. Skin was ashen, black around the eyes, barely coherent.

Long story short, on the third day of hospitalization, the reality of facing life of insulin injections and fear of being stigmatized at school set in. Through tears (rare) David frustratedly asked the doctor, "WHY ME?" More perplexing to the doctor was verbalizing his wish to be "handicapped in a wheelchair".

As some of you may know, David has a high functioning form of autism called Asbergers Syndrome. With a delicate prodding of a mother who knows her child, it seems David formulated the idea that diabetes will cease his participation in sports. (He'd prefer an outward sign of a limitation).

The wise doctor told David that his diabetes will actually give him an edge when he competes in track, since he'll be regulating his blood for optimum performance.

Today was his first day back at school -- and looked forward to seeing friends. Funny, the kid had his testing equipment attached to his belt, with a positive attitude beaming from his soul.

QUESTION: If any of you folks have a teenager living with Type 1 diabetes who'd be interested in corresponding with David, it'd be very much appreciated.

Here's our e-mail address: [email protected]

Many, many thanks!

Cindy

The only experience I can give you is through a friend's son who is now in his 30's. He has lived with diabetes since early childhood, has been through the careful monitoring, and the teenage & early 20's rebelliousness of letting things slide, eating - and drinking - what he shouldn't. He has had some scares, but the good news is that now he is a pretty responsible, very likeable young man who seems to have accepted his diabetes as a fact of life. It's got to be a burden for a child to accept, esp a teenager who wants to fit in, but it sounds like your son has wonderful guidance from you and is going on with a positive attitude.

Jan

Latest posts

Back