100 Minis Confiscated and in Need of Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmt

Reaction score
I was going to leave names out, but they have been given in the news segment about the 100 minis and MANY cats, dogs, chickens, goats, etc. that were confiscated from Cave Junction, Oregon.

Let's try to get these horses and other animals the help they need.

Forwarded Message -----

To:

Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:30 PM

Subject: Abused horses confiscated

Hi Friends,

Here’s a note from Lisa:

Ok everyone, I hope you know that Crows Nest Minis of Cave Junction OR on Friday was busted for animal abuse, and about 100 minis were taken from her facility. Dead animals all over, denial from owners, all visible on KDRV channel 12. Josephine county is broke. Animal control is going to have a heck of a time feeding this many animals. Please consider a donation of hay, or money, or opening your facility, if they need it. Call the Josephine county sheriff's office to see how you can help them. This puppy/pony mill needed to be taken down, and now the animals need our help. Please join me in helping Thanks. Lisa

link to Youtube video about this story.

Oh how sad.

At least from the video, the animals looked like they ate well. Just too many animals to look after and stuff got out of hand.
default_sad.png

Well from the video I wouldnt say there is abuse. There is no way to know how the animals died. Yes prob way to many animals however I dont see classic neglect.

Crappy set up and clutter, but I agree with what has been said. If the acreage/pasture is there, which they are being herded off of, should the county be moving them? Seems more logical to take the dogs, cats, birds and whatever small animals and leave the grazing animals while searching for homes for them. Or work with the owner to decrease the numbers. I am not out west, so I don't know the magnitude of their dealings or misdoings, I am sure there are places on the east coast that we all know to stay away from, but people out west would be clueless to the places and names.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the fact that there are too many animals and things got out of hand. All of the animals look well fed.

I don't think you can claim abuse for finding animal skulls. They're in the country and for all you know those animals were taken by coyotes. Some people think cats are just barn cats and have a job; mice hunting. Same with the birds. How could you claim abuse for finding bird remains? They could have been other breeds or been prey.

They ought to be confilscating the animals that are obviously neglected; lack of vet care, lack of farrier care, emaciated, hoarding, etc.

Ya they look well fed and the Pomeranian they keep showing is well groomed and bathed - those dogs mat easily and he is white. Looks like too many but they are in pretty good health it looks like.

For those of us on the west coast this is no surprise. The registries have had problems for years with this facility.

I am involved with rescuing, does anyone know the status on the minis? Or who I can contact (phone number wise, or email) about placing the minis? Thanks!

Ditto to what Joanne said, but from what I saw on the video the horses did not look starved. They have posted many ads on Craigslist lately trying to sell the minis.

I don't think any of us can decide from watching a minute and a half long video, a good bit of which is people talking, whether or not those animals were cared for. The horses *look* to be in good weight. But are they being wormed regularly? Are any older horses on the property, or horses with medical issues being cared for properly? Out of 100 horses, the odds of every one of those horses being in the pink of health and able to live off of pasture alone is slim. Were they given proper hoof care? We were just shown a handful out of 100.

Yes, that small dog looked ok. What about the other dogs? I saw at least one larger dog being kept in an outdoor pen. Was he fed properly? Being given water? They did not say where they found those dog bones. If they were found inside a pen, then what are the odds a coyote or predator killed them? For that matter, the few skulls they chose to show may not be the only bodies found. I doubt the news really wanted to broadcast rotting animal carcasses. They may well have found other bodies, maybe even those of some of the minis, given that they said they had found some in a field.

I doubt that the local authorities chose to seize that many animals if they were not truly in danger.

There are several movies of this place, on the net. Some show many (obviously recent) dead dogs and birds. At least two decomposing dead Minis. Those who entered the property, said the stench was overwhelming. The trash piled up around the house, almost hid it, in some places. It was obvious, that no cages or enclosures, had ever been cleaned. I'm so glad that the authorities are actually doing something about it.

Lizzie

Unfortunately this breeder has been in our county for a long time and it's not the first time her animals have been confiscated. She gets most of them back and moves to a new location and starts all over. She has been known to just let the dead animals lie in the field to rot. I agree that the video showed horses in pretty good weight but I'm sure there are many unhealthy ones out there that don't run around like that. I know how hard it is to get animal control to cease animals so I'm sure there is more to the story than what is shown.

As others have said if you're on the West Coast this has been a nightmare for well over ten+ years, They've stayed just inside the law and everyone I've spoken to that bought a horse from them has had issues. I've flat refused to sell horses to them or anyone associated with them, and they use a few 'front' people to hide their name as most of us know their tactics.

Glad they're finally going to be stopped, for awhile at least.

Ditto to what Michelle, Wesco Farms posted.

People on the West Coast have been aware of this farm for many years. Complaints have been filed with authorities many times. This is the first time I've seen action ever being done. From what I've been told the owner has relatives in "high places" within the county and also tends to threaten with lawsuits.

"They ought to be confilscating the animals that are obviously neglected; lack of vet care, lack of farrier care, emaciated, hoarding, etc."

I absolutely agree 100% but from what I understand (from talking to our County Animal Control), as long as there is food and water on the property, there's nothing they can do.

Liz N.

SOOOOO glad they are taking care of them. They seem to know when they are going to be checked on. They throw stray out and put some water in buckets and they call it good. It has been YEARS of suffering. And yes some of the animals look ok, they are the ones she is trying to sell I am sure.

Everytime I saw her sales ads I cringed. As many complaints as there have been to police it has been a LONG time coming.

Ya, the few animals they picture look ok. What about the rest of the 100+ minis? What about the rest of the other animals?

These animals have already been confiscated and I am not going to judge why/if based on a minute of video. I will, however, do all I can to help them care for these animals until they can get into good homes.

I can understand not wanting to judge by the short video, but everyone needs to consider who has posted here about these folks -- all active registry members who are extremely involved in the miniature horse world and CMHR -- all breeders of great integrity.

This is not some innocent horse lover turned in by neighbors out to get her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back