100 Minis Confiscated and in Need of Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you've made your point
default_smile.png

Back to the horses who are in need of homes!

If she is not convicted, i feel those horses should be given back to her, and who is going to pay for the transportation back to her?

The auction is set for after her hearing.

For those saying that they don't like it that the horses are being auctioned off--unfortunately that is the way it generally works when animals are confiscated. They are auctioned.

Sometimes the owner turns them over to authorities who then can give them to a rescue to rehome. Confiscated means auction.. And once they are auctioned they would not be returned to the former owner.

Look at the group of confiscated AQHA horses in Illinois--the have been auctioned off. If their owner is found not guilty she will get the money--the horses are gone. If guilty , the money goes to pay partial restitution of what was stolen.

Ok so I must tell you of a recent event here- that happened about the same time as this confiscation. A person who lives fairly close to me was turned in- again - for neglect of her horses. About 12 of the approximately 40 there were hidden in a barn- shoved in a pen with a full sized horse so no one could see them. None of this herd gets farrier work, worming, dental work, etc.... When the authorities arrived, a rescue was apparently 'monitoring' her for the last three years and talked her into getting rid of the 11 or 12 worst horses. No charges were filed and she is allowed to keep the rest!!! If the rescue was 'monitoring' her, HOW did those horses end up in the shape they were in?!! One of them was sent to another nearby rescue where despite their round the clock care- it DIED.

The owner doesnt have to deal with any of it. The worst ones are gone and out of her hair. She gets off scot free and with the approximately 30 remaining horses, the same thing will happen over and over as in the photo I saw, some of them look pregnant to me. She has about 8 or 9 stallions- all running together and has NO idea who is bred to who. A neighbor bought a filly from there as a pet, and still cant get the papers. After DNA'ing 5 of the stallions, still cant find the 'baby daddy'.

Also, if it's illegal to sell a horse without AMHA papers if the horse has them, will someone please point this out in the rule book? I cant seem to find anything of that nature there at all. I have been involved in Minis since 1995 and have never heard of this. Nor have I ever heard of it with any other registry I was involved in before.

Selling an AMHA registered horse without it's papers:

Page 53 of the 2012 Rule book:

186B Sale Without Certificate Of Registration

If a registered horse is sold without the certificate of registration, the certificate must be surrendered by the recorded owner to the Association for cancellation.

So it's not 'illegal' in the Association to sell without the registration certificate, but it is 'illegal' to keep the registration certificate if the horse is sold without.

I'm guessing, though, that nothing much happens to anyone that does sell a horse without its papers without turning the certificate in for cancellation. Is there not also a rule that says any horse that dies must have its papers sent in for notation? Maybe AMHA doesn't have that rule, but many registries do--and I suspect that a majority of people do not bother to send in the papers. Does AMHA specify any penalty for anyone that is caught selling a horse without papers and not sending those papers in to AMHA?

If someone sells XYC Champion Pete without papers to someone in the next county--"Pete" is just a grade horse, not likely to be matched up to his papers anytime in the future. It's pretty hard for a registry to prove that a horse was sold without papers--it could be he was sold with papers and the buyer never transferred them...if the seller throws away the papers, that's the end of that.

I'm guessing, though, that nothing much happens to anyone that does sell a horse without its papers without turning the certificate in for cancellation. Is there not also a rule that says any horse that dies must have its papers sent in for notation? Maybe AMHA doesn't have that rule, but many registries do--and I suspect that a majority of people do not bother to send in the papers. Does AMHA specify any penalty for anyone that is caught selling a horse without papers and not sending those papers in to AMHA?
I think that would be a tough one to prove unless the person at fault admitted to it!

I think i have some laying around that i need to turn in.

Anyway The horses barring three of them looked really good! and in wonderful shape so i am sure they will bring fair market price .

If the lady in question is guilty, then she should pay, otherwise i hope she gets her horses back.

I am not sure which pictures you were looking at. Far more than three (which you keep repeating. btw, repeating things does not make them correct...) looked pretty ropey to me- a few looked pregnant, a lot looked wormy- maybe you are mistaking a fat belly for being in good condition.

I am not.....

How would you tell whether an eye injury is old or new??

Surely and old injury would be a lot worse, anyway?

There seems to be a LOT of evidence against this woman and I have NO idea why you seem intent on defending her. She appears to settle in one state, get banned from ownership or hassled by the local humane society, and then move to another state and start again- there is a pretty long paper trail, too,

A simple Google tells a lot.....

I would argue against their condition... Stand my horse next to any one of those and tell me they're healthier.

They looked pretty good to me except for the three i stated, I have had eye injuries at my farm, and i have seen plenty as i have worked with a Vet before, and these eye injuries looked to be the end result.

I am not the only person who thought these horses looked pretty good.

And last time i checked people were innocent until they were proven in a court of law that they were guilty What has been shown to me does not look criminal, so as i stated there has to be more than what is being shown.

This woman's history speaks for itself, period. The pictures don't show health horses but poor hair coats, wormy bellies, wounds, poor hoof quality and babies who look like they are deficent in protein.

Thank you ohmt for the information about who to contact.

Equamore Sanctuary is coordinating a rescue effort. They have set up an account for the rescue and are in need of supplies. I am sending my extra halters, blankets and hopefully some wormer. If you are interested in helping these horses, please contact them.

I would argue against their condition... Stand my horse next to any one of those and tell me they're healthier.
First let me say you have some awesome Shetlands,, but the pics i saw of them they are all in show shape. A horse does not have to look like that to be healthy, in fact i always give mine free choice hay, so they usually appear a bit "pot bellied". I can reduce that by pulling them off hay, however that may cause some problems so i dont.

Last edited by a moderator:
My definition of a well cared for horse:

Adequate and balanced nutrition such that they stay between a 4-6 on the weight scale,

Dental by vet or dentist at least every other year (if not just for a check),

Hoof care every 10 weeks or more frequently

Daily hands-on inspection of each horse

Fecal exams twice yearly or deworming on a regular cycle

Someone with poor health and no staff cannot monetarily and physically maintain that number of horses to the above standards.

This is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it, but, I think that the horses going to auction is in the best interest of the horses. Period! The county needs to recoup money spent, the horses need good loving homes and seems this is the best solution to solve both problems. I should probably stop here, but I must say, that no reputable breeder or show person is going to take these poor animals, so hopfully pet people will purchas them at auction and give them the homes that they deserve to be in with love and care and proper vetting.

Just found this threat and will delete the one I posted about it. Here's a Facebook group regarding the auction on December 8 in case someone is interested in helping out https://www.facebook.com/groups/139246802889958/

My mini was sold as a foal and not properly taken care of bythe new owner for the following 5 months. As a result I spent way more money than I should have (or than anyone else would have) to purchase a non registered underweight potbelly 10 months old. But I don't regret it seeing how spunky and happy she is now. I hope all of these minis will have the same success story.

To all who are going to the auction or might be taking a mini home: Check for lice and quarantine horses coming in for at least 14 days. This will save you a lot of headaches.

I have been watching this unfold, but have not posted before now. I do agree that a lot of the minis look pretty good fom their pictures, however I think some of the other animals there were what got her caught. They are showing pictures of the minis because there are so many of them and they need homes. They are adoptable. They may have been the healthiest group of animals she had. They may not be publicising the worst abuse. They can't just take part of her animals and leave her with the healthy ones. She has a problem and needs to be stopped.

I am sure the minis have not had the best of care and may suffer long term problems from worm infestations. Although some may not.

I suspect it may have been the dogs or cats that got the authorities to really take notice.

The stories I have read here do tell me that the minis were very neglegted. They are not releasing pictures of dead animals laying around. i think right now they just want to get these minis in good homes and don't want to scare anyone off with the ugly truth of where they came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back