100 Minis Confiscated and in Need of Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Josephine county. Kandi Crow breeds minis like a puppy mill. On many occasion you will see dead minis with foals heads hanging out. The mares could not give birth, died and are left to rot in the pasture! She runs all the stallions , mares and foals together. Her minis are never groomed or wormed. They never get their feet trimmed. They always look awful. Yes the ones they shown on TV are very obese. These are the few lucky ones. The rest are emaciated and dying. Many are mangled dwarfs that can't walk or eat. These minis have the most awful dental issues. They are covered in lice. They are full of worms and have digestive damage issues from this. Many are being put down from their neglect. The media and Lisa have not pointed out the whole "truth!" This is one of the worst animal abuse cases in our countys history. Believe me we have many abuser's in our area! Kandi has been arrested 2 times before for animal abuse in our county. She was told to never own animals again. She got other people involved to register minis in their name but the horses stayed with her. She sell's the minis for huge amounts of money off the internet and "ships" them out so the buyer stays all warm and fuzzy with her website pictures of green pastures and chubby horses. Their are several disgruntled buyers that send DNA to AMHA and are told their is no match to be found. I have a friend who paid 5000.00 for a Pinto colt from her and DNA does not match. Kandi's response? "Oh well". How would you feel???

She also sell's minis as pets only and then wants big prices for their papers if you want them. First off that is illegal with AMHA! It clearly states that you cannot sell the mini without his papers if he has them.

Kandi was also arrested in Washington state for animal neglect several times and then she moved here. When she leaves Josephine County buh bye but! She will continue her sick animal abuse elsewhere unless they put her away this time!

That Pomeranian is a long haired Chihuahua by the way. She was covered with fleas and lice, wormy, matted with fece's on her hind end. YOU people responding have no idea how horrible this case is!!

KANDI CROW and her son are Monster's!!!!!

I have resued 2 minis in the past taken from her. They were in terrible neglected condition. One of them always had digestion issues. I have also been one of the rescue groomers for the dogs and cats. The matted fece's is disgusting enough but imagine maggot's there too! Fleas jumping on you everywhere!!!

Hope they lock her up and starve her to death like she has done her minis and cats and Llamas and dogs!

So now you all know the TRUTH!!!

have purchased horses from other farms over the years, supposedly with good reputations, and have had horses show up with worms, thin, dental work NEVER being done, one that was grossly obese due to a thyroid imbalance, etc.... Does this also make them neglectful and should they be turned in for these things?
I bought a horse from a lady that published a book on equine nutrition one time, and the horse was so thin the hauler took it to a lay over station and the barn manager had to give it supplements and food for 2 weeks before they felt safe to haul it to NC. When it got here i was shocked and when we wormed it i was even more shocked at what come out!!! Had its teeth checked and it was not a tooth issue 8 weeks later she looks like a different horse and i still have her, she is not a hard keeper.

I don't think it is helpful to add a new law requiring vet and farrier records--for myself, for one example, I do my own farrier work and do much of my own vet work. I call a vet only when it's a situation I cannot deal with on my own or if I need medication I can get only from the vet clinic. That doesn't mean my horse's are any more neglected than hide of someone who has the vet out twice a week for every minor ailment.
I agree, i do much of my own as well, and think mine are pretty darn well cared for.

However!!!!! i had the "law called on me for my horses having cuckleburs in their hair!!! i had started pulling them off the pasture because my vet complained that they were too fat, and needed to not be out 24/7, so...they were close to the road and people saw cuckleburs in their hair, and reported me. I called my equine Vet, and told him and he could not stop laughing saying I bet they did not complain about the "REAL" problem which was that the horses were way too fat !!!! Obesity causes a huge range of problems!!!!!! anyway i was left alone after that, and the cuckle burs fell out after a few weeks!!! And the horses lost weight after some time.

People mean well

As far as the video, nothing i saw was shocking. There had to have been more to that story,,,,at least i hope there was.

There was an episode on Huston SPCA where 14 cows were rescued from a farm in Texas, and i remembered thinking those were the fattest nice looking cows i had seen in a long time. They also rescued 6 or 7 barn cats, and 2 dogs that were chained up, but looked good to me???? made me wonder whose freezer those cows ended up in.

As far as the registries go, not sure that should be an issue as to confiscate animals or not, how someone does paper work does not affect the horse care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad these poor animals were finally able to receive the help and attention they needed. Wish we could do the same for so many other places that are running animal mills.

he also sell's minis as pets only and then wants big prices for their papers if you want them. First off that is illegal with AMHA! It clearly states that you cannot sell the mini without his papers if he has them.
I did not know about this law, hmmm....i will check it out.

I have been trying to find the links with the videos, but can only find the articles that was about what she was charged with, the photos were of a couple of minis, and they looked pretty good to me?

some looked pretty bad, but thankfully most looked in pretty good shape, phot number 16 is of Winding Creek Colt Endeavor, he is a homozygous AMHA stallion

Well other than a few old eye injury's( which any farm with that many horses will have) there were only about 3 horses that were thin, which leads me to believe that those horses may have either been old, or needed to have their teeth worked on. Surely there was more evidence than that, those horses were in pretty good shape, and some were a little on the obese side , and none other than the 3 thin ones looked wormy to me. What does everyone else think?

Just because they aren't starved doesn't mean they were being properly taken care of. With that many, I doubt they were getting any vet care, shots/deworming, etc. Glad they are getting new homes.

I live in Josephine county. Kandi Crow breeds minis like a puppy mill. On many occasion you will see dead minis with foals heads hanging out. The mares could not give birth, died and are left to rot in the pasture! She runs all the stallions , mares and foals together. Her minis are never groomed or wormed. They never get their feet trimmed. They always look awful. Yes the ones they shown on TV are very obese. These are the few lucky ones. The rest are emaciated and dying. Many are mangled dwarfs that can't walk or eat. These minis have the most awful dental issues. They are covered in lice. They are full of worms and have digestive damage issues from this. Many are being put down from their neglect. The media and Lisa have not pointed out the whole "truth!" This is one of the worst animal abuse cases in our countys history.

I have resued 2 minis in the past taken from her. They were in terrible neglected condition. One of them always had digestion issues. I have also been one of the rescue groomers for the dogs and cats. The matted fece's is disgusting enough but imagine maggot's there too! Fleas jumping on you everywhere!!!

So now you all know the TRUTH!!!
Lil Hoofbeats if you read this section of DJ Miniature Show Horses Post it clearly states how bad the case is.

The fact that when the horses were being confiscated there were mares laying dead with foals half out of them and other carcasses laying around says it all right there. There were more than 3 pictured that were thin as well and I believe I read that a couple were lost due to malnourishment after confiscation. Multiple stallions running with mares-Kandi put them all out to pasture (and not in ideal conditions-I put mine out to pasture as well, but in clean/healthy areas and they are still cared for) and left them. That is why some are obese and some are extremely malnourished. They had to fend for themselves. She was charged with many many counts of neglect and malnourishment of her animals, as she should have been.

I only wish the confiscation of these animals was handled better. The stallions/colts should all be gelded and I dislike that they are just being auctioned off like this. I know CMHR and many other rescues are trying to help so I hope all of the horses get the good homes that many have probably never had.

Want to add that these pictures are taken recently for the auction and as you can see from when I originally posted this, the confiscation happened back in the beginning of September. I should HOPE that the horses are no longer wormy and just imagine what some of those extremely thin horses looked like back then. It looks like their hooves have been taken care of as well, which is great. Wish someone would take a brush to their manes and tails though.

Hi Jade, i viewed all 177 of them on the link OHMT sent and there were only 3 emaciated ones that i saw, about 4 old eye injurys(that would be expected with that number of horses) and all looked in good shape other than being a little too fat, but none looked wormy to me.

I am only going on what is shown to me. I do not listen to hearsay. 174 out of 177 horses looked in good shape

I have seen far worse at the stock yards lately, and animal control did not confiscate them.

Well number 16 was Winding Creek Colt Endeavor he is AMHA and a black and white homozygous stallion, for anyone who gets him, his breeding is Top Notch He is a grandson of Brewers Dynamo Executive a National Top Ten son of Bond DYnamo

The frame horse that was in the picture was the only horrible looking horse that i saw, and if it still looked that way after 8 weeks, it was a absorption problem or tooth problem that they have not fixed, because it looked bad, the other 2 looked only a little thin.

I have a neighbor that has a 34 year old QH gelding, had him since he was a yearling, he has free choice hay and 5 gallons of senior feed a day, and still looks like a walking trotting skeleton , he feels good as he still sticks his tail up in the air and runs and bucks, but looks like death warmed over. I told him to shoot him before someone reports him, but.... Calvin wants him to live as long as he can and feels good. Costs him a fortune to feed that horse.

Hi Jade, i viewed all 177 of them on the link OHMT sent and there were only 3 emaciated ones that i saw, about 4 old eye injurys(that would be expected with that number of horses) and all looked in good shape other than being a little too fat, but none looked wormy to me.

I am only going on what is shown to me. I do not listen to hearsay. 174 out of 177 horses looked in good shape

I have seen far worse at the stock yards lately, and animal control did not confiscate them.
Im not sure if what i said came across nasty but it wasnt meant to, you asked what everyone else thought and so i just re-posted what someone said who has seen the case first hand.

Even though most dont look horrible, if you read the latest posts by OHMT you can see that quite a lot of work has gone into them over the past month and a bit, hence why the horses look alright.

(I find it really hard to convey tone when writing a message, so im sorry if i come across as being angry, etc because im not)

Don't know what to tell you, Julie. I understand you wanting to look at all angles, but I'm leaving this one up to the authorities involved with the case. She was reported over 20 times and is being charged for more things that I can remember. The people involved in the confiscation were the ones that told the press about the many dead animals laying around the farm and the mares dead with foals half out of them. If she is guilty, I hope she pays for her crimes-authorities thought it was necessary for these animals to be taken out of her care and she has spent time in jail for animal neglect in the past so I hope she never has the chance to repeat this scenario.

Back to the animals that need our help though-Marty posted a link to the CMHR website to apply to foster. They are trying to help this case, but they need foster homes badly. If anyone is willing and able to do so, please apply, thank you!

No Jade you were not nasty at all!!! and i certainly hope i was not, as that was not my intention, and you are right it is really hard to convey tone when writing a message. And i am not meaning anything nasty or negative when i write the following, only wanting people to think about this.

I have bought many horses over the years because that is what i do, i buy horses and re sell them. I have heard so many "sob" stories about how people LOVE their horses and hate to part with them and how they cried when they loaded them on the trailer, and so on and so forth, only to have them arrive here is crappy shape.

So when i hear something, i dont put much faith in it. When i see this, i do not see a whole lot of bad looking animals. If they were in such poor shape a month ago, then they would not look as good as they do(i know how long it takes to get horses back in shape enough to sell them) so that being said, these horses are pretty slick coated and fat and that takes longer than a month or 6 weeks, and the three thin ones i saw should be put down if they are not responding to treatment, which the authorities have not done.

If she has been charged in the past, i understand the concern, but what i am seeing right here right now, really is not a crime and unless the authorities are hiding something, then the charges should be dropped, You can make anything "look" bad if you want to, but i did not see dead mares with foals hanging out of them, as has been suggested. Not putting correct papers on a horse is not a criminal offense, not giving papers is not a criminal offense. Horses not parent qualifying is NOT a criminal offense.

I am all for animal abusers to be held accountable, but the abuse must be proven, and what i have seen so far does not support that. I am sure many of the really nice smaller loud colored appy or overo mares, should be very easy to "foster." Not hate'in, just say'in.

I'm not sure how trials work, but maybe everything is not put out for public viewing because of the impending trial. And it has been over 2 months since the confiscation so quite a bit of time and money has been put into rehabilitation.

Again, authorities felt it necessary these animals be put in new homes due to neglect. I don't know the whole story, but considering how horrible conditions must be for any confiscation to happen, I'm not going to second guess this one.

I doubt there will be much "fostering" with the way Kandi kept her papers and considering most of the animals appear to be pet quality, but i'm guessing most will be needing real fostering-without the quotations.

My Vet was ask one time by an animal control officer if it was cruel to not have a barn for horses to go into, he said he thought for a minute and replied, well, if it is cruel then God mus be the cruelest horse owner of all, as he made millions of horses and never built one barn for them. And until the last couple of centuries when they become domesticated they did not have a barn.

My point is, its all about how you look at things

If she is guilty, I hope she pays for her crimes-
Me too! If she is guilty!

But i have seen some animals taken and wondered why, and others left in their environment and really wondered why. What was shown to me( i have looked at every article that i could find) has not been a crime. But maybe evidence is being hidden for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back