♥♥♥ For those interested in losing weight ♥♥♥

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
If you are trying to lose weight and would like to share your success, struggles, or weight loss ideas, please come over to the Diet Buddies Forum http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showforum=73.

Sometimes it helps to talk with others who understand what you are going through. A couple of us are planning on meeting up weekly to help motivate each other, and set weekly goals. We would love to have others come and join us.
default_smile.png

3 years ago I had weight loss surgery, a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. It worked greaat guns for the first 8 months, and then blam. Nada. I am now seeking part two of my surgery, which is a Duodenal Switch which will add mal absorbtion to the restriction part of the surgery. When you ask 3 years? Yep, 3/10/13 is my 3 year anniversiary date.

I was actually thinking about getting the lapband, but I knew that if I didn't take control of my eating habits beforehand, I would have issues afterward. I know several women who have had gastric done and they have all struggled with malnutrition. That scares me too much to even consider that option.

I guess I should have mentioned in my first post that you don't have to participate in the weekly meet-up to come over to the Weight Loss forum. The forum is for everything diet related - a few of us are just wanting to do something extra, and more or less 'live chat'.
default_smile.png

There were so many members posting on the last couple of weight threads on the Back Porch, that a special weight-loss forum was created (those threads were moved there). Please come join us over there to offer your support and to take advantage of ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never suggest the band to anybody, yes, it is reversable, but it is only removed when you are having trouble with it, a foreign body in your body, and a lot of people have trouble with allergic reactions and slippage. Also, it does require maintenance in the form of fills and unfills of the band.

Malabsorbsion can be your friend, I now wish I had had a malabsorbtive surgery, plan on revising mine when I can. I have the vertical sleeve gastrectomy which is removal of 80 - 85% of the stomach. The only change is a smaller stomach, all normal function is intact. One thing that is stressed in the surgical programs is that surgery is only a tool and can help you make the needed changes in your diet to include content and portions. Eventually, you are on your own, the tool isn't as effective and you need to have made new habits. I have to say when I do work my tool, it does work for me to a degree.

Working the tool means eating tiny bites, chewing them at least 20 times, no drinking 1/2 hour before or after a meal (to allow space for nutrition, also keeps from liquidating food and making it pass through faster, thus getting hungry faster. Tiny portions for a meal total of 1 cup of food. 1/2 of that protein, 1/4 veg, 1/4 complex carb (no white carbs). I eat on a very small dessert plate as a regular dinner plate tends to make you load up too much. Eat 6 times a day, that is key.

Any of these can be followed even if you don't have surgery, but you could find yourself hungry and wanting more in your full sized stomach that can hold the equivalent of 2 2liter pop bottles vs the surgery patient's 1 cup (barely).

That would include finding out why you have the problem, and getting it under control.

The first 8 months I lost weight like crazy, then bam. Screaming halt. The body will adapt to what you eat and will go in to starvation mode. For most people that is almost 2 years.

Malnutrition isn't a big issue if you eat right and take the supplements you are supposed to take. Labs are drawn to keep on top of your nutrition status but of all the weight loss surgery patients I have met, NONE have had nutrition problems.

Planning on trying hypnosis in July if I can get the woman to do a seminar near my home.She will be in the area doing something else.She is related to my 2 neices and most of us in the family have weight issues.

I did not diet at all and I lost weight by eating on small plates , soda is a no no ! I all I drink is water , juice and milk . But you can eat the same foods , but eat foods baked not fried . The main veggie I am eating is most of the time is cabbage, Cabbage is good for your tummy and it brake down the fat right out of you. I tried it really works . After you eat it for a week , you can have all the energy that you always can't believe ! Diet soda is also a no no , you know why ? It can cause diabetic reactions, most people don't know that . And can make anyone fat .

Latest posts

Back