obstacle courses and jumping courses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
Where do people find obstacle course patterns, or jumper class patterns for the fairs or club shows?

We help organize a local fair and depend on other competitors to provide us with something they have seen used before.

Are there specific rules with regard to heights of jumps or the age of horses allowed to compete?

i.e. to jump, the horse must be at least 3 years old for instance or to be on the cart, 3 years, etc.

Our two shows we are involved in are restricted to "A" size horses.

The rule book is a great place to find things. I think on jumps the minimum height is 12" and the max is 36", but most fall around 20-24". There has to be a min. of 5 jumps or obstacles and up to 8 max. You can easily design a course. I do the obstacles for my club. I just incorporate backing, sidepassing, pivoting, ground tie, trot poles and something exciting (like a bridge or a tarp). Then you want to make them get harder for open classes and easier for youth so no one gets discouraged. If there's enough time, PM me and I can send you some of my obstacle designs.
default_smile.png

most shows make there own patterns! i can draw some up that i have done in the past 4 years and email them to u, if u like?

The rule book is a great place to find things. I think on jumps the minimum height is 12" and the max is 36", but most fall around 20-24". There has to be a min. of 5 jumps or obstacles and up to 8 max. You can easily design a course. I do the obstacles for my club. I just incorporate backing, sidepassing, pivoting, ground tie, trot poles and something exciting (like a bridge or a tarp). Then you want to make them get harder for open classes and easier for youth so no one gets discouraged. If there's enough time, PM me and I can send you some of my obstacle designs.
default_smile.png
Yes, check the rulebook. AMHR max jump is 30" while AMHA maximum allowed in "jump offs" is 44". Those are for jumping while the top height for hunter is 24" in both registrations. No jumps are allowed in AMHR obstacle classes.

For a good obstacle course just take a walk through the woods and think about where you're walking what or how you're walking over or around or through.

Okay, thank you everyone.

I think with the generous offer from Keri, regarding sharing her info, and now this site, I should be set.

Latest posts

Back