The one most important thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cross ties. Set in concrete 36" apart. Makes it so much easier to bath, clip, groom, do feet, harness, etc.

I have 2 rings on each side - one at ~24", and one at 12". Keeps them from rearing up and being stupid!!

Bungees -- I have them on all of our gates in addition to the regular closing mechanisms to make sure everyone is safely kept in side.
-- A word of caution -- a friend of mine used these, and one of his mares managed to get the S hook right up her nose. I always use a short bit of chain clipped right to the gate and goes around the pole.

Not much left to add!!
default_biggrin.png
I keep a can of Dust-off compressed air in the tack room. Works great on blowing out the hair in your clippers. When I was trail riding(so I guess it would work for trail driving too!) I always had a nice fanny pack with leatherman tool, waterproof match box, one of those cheap slickers, space blanket, couple of protein bars, whistle(cause you can hear a whistle from a further distance than yelling) and of course your cell phone. That way if I came off I had some survival gear. I also carried a small knife on a string around my neck along with the key to my truck.

Great ideas everyone!!
default_yes.gif

Banamine and bug spray.

Drinking water for the horse and people from home !!

This is somethimg that my horses think they have to have and love it. On a sturdy pole (telephone) i screw brushes to it bristles sticking out. They LOVE scratching on it. You have to use the old type of scrub brushes like great grandma used. Wooden handle with really stiff bristles about 1 inch long. When they have a itch or loosing winter coat they are all over them. I replace them about 3 times a year or when they have lost all their bristles. I have used them for years and all size horses love them.

This is in a totally different vein, but in my mind, just as essential.

Find and train a first class, reliable pet-sitter for the rare times when you can't be around to feed. Make sure they know your horses, where the important supplies are kept, have all the care instructions and emergency phone numbers, and that your vet has a heads up just in case they need to call him or her while you are away.

Absolutely a cell phone! I was leading Margarita around the barn to turn her out with other mares and she stepped under my feet, I tripped and landed on my belly..........with arms outstetched holding her lead and telling her to whoa! She whoah-ed and it took a minute to catch my breath...........

The other thing is a water hose with sprinkler attachement. I use it for everything, filling water buckets, watering barn isle, watering grass and wetting the horses as needed. Of course there are "zillions" of other things I need too ........that list goes forever and I could not say which one is " the most important thing that I must have" - first.
default_aktion033.gif

B

LOVE MTG's too!!Smells like bacon grease but works so well. I used it on my lab's hot spots and on my paint's flaxen tail and it made it thicker! Works like a charm.
default_aktion033.gif

MTG by Shapley's. Honestly, it's the most amazing product. Here's what it's cured on my horses and dogs after all else fails or took much longer to fix: hot spots on my shepherd (I used Mane and Tail anti-fungal shampoo for days and it actually got worse...after two days of MTG it started drying up and hair started growing), a wierd "fungussy" looking spot on my mare's neck when I first got her (it was gone in two days), any tail rubbing is eliminated within a day or two (along with cleaning under the tail etc.). IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

[SIZE=12pt]Brighter than White (Shampoo), a four month dry erase calender for breeding, large plastic "tupperware" like containers for my harnesses and Tucoprim!!( powdered Antibiotic) Also Banamine.[/SIZE]

Joy

Not too much to add but ....a really understanding and forgiving "Signifigent Other" is one thing I would not be able to live without!! Most Days!!

probably my barn radios, especially the one that plays cds for PRIMA J and also my my horse rubberbands im always braiding osme ones mane or tail

MTG is awesome stuff for growing hair on skinned spot and stopping other animals from tail biting and what not. I have donkeys and mules that have lousy tails it will grow tail hair quickly, it is worth putting up with the smell.

Scissors, I am always needing for cutting haystrings, bandages multiple other things.

Wirecutters, fence pliers

I also keep old socks for polishing, cleaning, leather & Tack

First AID stuff:

Have used old jeans/pants cut off legs for making ICE sock/bag for horse leg

VET RAP adhesive bandages are a absolute must have for wrapping foot absecess, wounds ect.

rolled cotton (cotton on a roll) for packing & rapping wounds in bad spots, coronary bands ect with salve as padding

***another trusted equine friendly/knowledgable person that can come and tend to animals in case of emergency while you are at work or away, keep a laminated list of phone numbers visible in case you are not able to be there and someone else has to call your trusted vet of choice or farrier ect. have an additional copy to take to shows with you, again in case of emergency and you are unable give your preferences, and another in your trailer in case of an accident and you can't communicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are just money saving items. Salvage old seat belts for repairs on stable blankets. Use old halter rings,probably big horse size,to hold hammers,brooms etc. just attach to wall with a fence staple. Save long plastic bags from newspapers to store leg wraps,bandages,girth covers etc. Use a mousetrap on a stall door to hang papers
default_laugh.png

Sorry haven't answered this thread in awhile but I have been gratefully reading all your suggestions. There have been some very interesting suggestions that I would never thought of. Thank you all for answering! I'm developing quite a collection
default_smile.png

I got one no one has posted-PREARATION H!

Yes, from your local drug store.

It is great for cuts & wounds. My vet had me coat a deep wide wound that one of our big studs colts got on his neck & knee where they couldn't be stitched. Heals tissue from the inside- out, Minimizes scaring to extreme.

I also would never be without Banamine. Saved many vet trips with just one shot. Dont like taking the chance giving it IM, but better than a dead horse!

A cutting tool!!! Never know when you may need to cut lead rope or halter in case of emergency. Plus, it's great having one around for the simple stuff....cutting open a feed bag, bale twine, etc.
default_smile.png

chandab said:
1215663421[/url]' post='1047975']A "Mini-weight" leadrope in a longer length. As I'm tall, I like an 8-10' leadrope; but the 1/2" ones for minis seem to be mostly only 5-6' long (which is way too short).
Who sells mini weight lead ropes? Best quality? Also anymore items one needs?

Latest posts

Back