The one most important thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paper towels and lots of them! I put it on a bungee and you can hang the anywhere
wpsellwood

Thanks!!! I LOVE this idea

It seems my paper towels are always lost, falling on the floor or my two little dwarves Buddy and Treaure are running around with them.

Ditto the bungees of all sizes...

...and add zip ties

(the heavy duty kind...they have another name that I forget)

Warm waterproof gloves for winter

Lots of cheap gloves for the rest of the year

Electric braid or tape fencing and step-in stakes

The big square kitty litter tubs for many, many purposes. The lids snap on tight, they stack neatly, and they're FREE!

Electrical tape

Waterproof sharpie pens

I'll think of more later...

MTG by Shapley's. Honestly, it's the most amazing product. Here's what it's cured on my horses and dogs after all else fails or took much longer to fix: hot spots on my shepherd (I used Mane and Tail anti-fungal shampoo for days and it actually got worse...after two days of MTG it started drying up and hair started growing), a wierd "fungussy" looking spot on my mare's neck when I first got her (it was gone in two days), any tail rubbing is eliminated within a day or two (along with cleaning under the tail etc.). IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tape--electrical, duct and just about any other kind. Also, vet wrap. I have used it to wrap my own leg with a bit of paper towel when I had no time to go in and fix a boo boo--till I get in the house--to keep it clean.

MTG by Shapley's. Honestly, it's the most amazing product. Here's what it's cured on my horses and dogs after all else fails or took much longer to fix: hot spots on my shepherd (I used Mane and Tail anti-fungal shampoo for days and it actually got worse...after two days of MTG it started drying up and hair started growing), a wierd "fungussy" looking spot on my mare's neck when I first got her (it was gone in two days), any tail rubbing is eliminated within a day or two (along with cleaning under the tail etc.). IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
Sounds great, Matt! Where do you get it? I haven't seen it before (wasn't necessarily looking either). Greenhawk, Bahrs? It would also help my sister in law, her dog gets hot spots too.

You guys are awesome!
default_aktion033.gif
Love learning new things, it almost seems overwhelming sometimes everything that has to be thought of, bought, kept on hand, health routines, symptom of varying illnesses. Glad you guys are here.
default_saludando.gif

Digital thermometer for taking temps, it's soo much easier than the "old fashioned kind" and last time I ordered from Jeffers I bought a speedy one so it's fast for wiggly foals.

Scrub brushes and sieve (sp?) with handle for water buckets/tubs, if the water is mostly clean with some grass or hay, I use the sieve to scoop out the "junk" and it's great in winter I don't have to freeze my hands!

Nolvasan to dilute for many purposes, disinfectant, cleaning wounds, dipping umbilical cords, scrubbing buckets, feed pans, stall walls, trailer, etc.

Triple antibiotic ointment, I typically carry it in my pocket it's right there to put on a scrape or scratch I notice when I'm out feeding.

The little plastic containers from the Dollar Store, (4 for a dollar). I prepare 3 days of feed each week in advance so when I work a 10 hour day it's quick and easy to dump in buckets, and if I go away for the weekend it works great for someone else to feed also.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the first ones that came to mind!

I LOVE my mini pitchfork and mini wheelbarrow. Much easier to haul around and, hey, I only have two so it works! Am also loving on my plush Cederest that I just put down in the paddock. It helps keep the flies away an the horse love to lie down and snooze in it. Um..what else?There is so much!the Oster brushes are terrific too. I love the pretty halters I got online. Hunter green with gold braid and Lola's is red with little white hearts on the nose and side pieces. Oh...Super 14 is working out great too!A nice shine on the coats..I could ramble on but will stop here!

Since there are so many new owners, myself included, I thought I would ask this question.

What is your one most favourite thing that you wouldn't do without in your tack box/barn/grooming kit?

I asked as I have been working on completing my mini (but huge
default_biggrin.png
) new owner wanna buy everything shopping list. What are the gotta haves (besides the terribly obvious and basic)?

I like Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine and fat, plastic, bristled brush that won't pull out a lot of hair. I keep a pair of scissors handy and co-flex bandages and a supply of clean rags for whatever.

when i used to show and trail ride my biggies, i kept a laminated piece of notebook paper with emergency/important phone numbers on it just in case i became incapacitated for some reason. i have it posted in my tack shed but i also kept it in my "traveling" stuff.

Sounds great, Matt! Where do you get it? I haven't seen it before (wasn't necessarily looking either). Greenhawk, Bahrs? It would also help my sister in law, her dog gets hot spots too.

You guys are awesome!
default_aktion033.gif
Love learning new things, it almost seems overwhelming sometimes everything that has to be thought of, bought, kept on hand, health routines, symptom of varying illnesses. Glad you guys are here.
default_saludando.gif
I get it at Lakeside Grain and Feed (here in Petrolia). But I'm sure Greenhawk would have it. Give them a call... Let me know how it works for you/your sis-in-law.

My 'Johnson and Johnson Strawberry Hair Detangling Spray' fantastic for untangling and keeping manes and tails tangle free, inexpensive and smells delicious!
default_wub.png

And Iodine spray, fantastic for putting on scratches etc.

Great stuff..
default_laugh.png

Something I haven't seen mentioned...

Folding knife... never had a driving accident or need, but after my husband witnessed a driving accident at a show, he bought me a little knife (it is pink even)...I clip it to my cart when driving at home, especially when I'm alone (not in the show ring) ...in case I ever need to cut a harness quickly. Hope I never, ever need to use it for that reason, but it is nice to have...

Little bit scary thinking of that...but better to be prepared. Be more scary in the situation with no knife.

Since I'll be learning to drive I will make sure I have one.

CELL PHONE on your body (not simply in the cart or nearby), especially while driving, or if you're a total klutz like me, even while you're sleeping.

Consider the time Mingus and I were home alone working on jumping. I stubbed my toe on a tree root, ripped my toenail clear off, and landed (whoomph~~!!!) on my stomach. Took me a few moments to get my breath, and NOT ONE of my horses went for help. Sheesh, so much for the Lassie theory!

Ummm.... I guess I'll have to say my tack box. Its HUGE and WAY to heavy to walk away with at a show, which I really like although I'm sure there are lots of people who wish I would stop taking it to shows (namely the people who get enlisted to help me carry the darn thing!) My daddy built it for my for christmas about 6 years ago and I've since filled it to the brim with almost everything I own for horses LOL. It holds two harnesses, a stack of buckets with grooming tools in them, winter blankets, fly sheets and masks, various sprays and first aid items and it has a handy shelf that slides back and forth on the top or can come out if you need it to, thats where I keep things like tubes of cream, a bicycle tire pump, safety pins, elastics and pens. Its sturdy enough to sit or even stand on and alllmost long enough to lie down and sleep on. And of course the little brass plaque with mime and my horses manes on it.

So really, I guess it would be really hard to live without the thing that keeps together all the things I wouldn't be happy living without... well, with the exception of my new show cart- its wouldn't quite fit LOL

LB just an idea. This post would be a great Best of Forum addition. Maybe pin it for a bit too. I think it would be a great resource for newbies but also for everybody.

Thanks for considering.

This is not in the barn or tack box but ALWAYS carry water with you on your trailer when hauling horses. If you break down it might be awhile until you get to a water source.

I love my grooming halter. It's similar to a regular halter but has the noseband lower and no cheek straps. Soooo much easier to clip around a fuzzy face.

I also use Endure fly spray... That is one of my favs from Farnum. But as long as it's water proof...i.e. won't come off easily with sweat and in the rain is good enough for me. Just remember not to spray it on saddle and driving leather parts..it can be somewhat slippery.

Latest posts

Back