Stifle Lock - our vet wants to use the estrogen hormone treatment or

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cathy, racehorse vets do this all the time! You should definitely be able to find someone.
default_yes.gif

I have heard of the ligament growing back together in one case but that was on an horse with a dislocated hip who really couldn't move it right. Even then their other leg that was cut was fine. I would never do forced exercise in the first four weeks after this surgery (having observed my gelding twice now and knowing he was in no way ready for that) but WOULD make sure they were handwalked regularly and vigorously. If they're out with other quiet horses in the third and fourth weeks they should move more than enough to prevent any problems with reattachment.

Aren't rumors annoying Keri? :DOH! All I'd heard about the splitting was that it was nearly as successful as the desmotomy, then my surgeon said it was more like a 50% chance of "some improvement." She was right. I'd always been under the impression that the cutting was 100% successful but the vet did mention (as he did it!) that there was a chance of it not working and someone else mentioned possible reattachment, etc. It scares you and is so frustrating! But I think what they're saying really is that nothing is guaranteed and there's always a chance of something going wrong. In the end the desmotomy works on just about every horse out there and I think it's worth doing if they're locking consistently enough to impact their quality of life. I'd still rather we never had to but at least it stops the problem.

Leia

Latest posts

Back