Temporary foaling stalls?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
I only have one foal coming this summer, and I would like to put up a temporary foaling stall as that time gets closer, with plenty of time for her to get comfortable in it. I have wire panels but I don't want to use them....I want something safer. Has anyone made a temporary foaling stall, and how do you like it? I was considering buying some of the Priefert miniature horse panels, but they certainly aren't cheap! Would be quick and easy though, and I'm not ruling it out! Something that I could use in different situations!

Thanks!

I just use a regular stall in the barn, nothing different really except it is the one with the foal cam up and working. It does have a removable wall so I can make it double size, but so far, I haven't really had to do that. It is the one on the very end next to the tack room so I can get my supplies easily. Best wishes for a nice healthy baby.

I have seen people take wire panels and zip-tie 4 x 8 peg boards (the kind you would use in a shop to hang tools on) to them so that they are for all intents & purposes "solid" walls - pretty inexpensive and seem to be quite safe, altho you will need a lot of zip-ties!

Stacy

I set up my foaling stalls in the garage. I use the miniature panels set up on the rubber pads you can get at Sam's Club or Costco. These were 8'x8' and so far all the mares have had plenty of room. This past year I switched to 10' stalls. I've got 2 cameras, one on each side.

maternityward.jpg

Thanks for the advice! Minimule, that's a GREAT picture! I may look into mini panels... I have a couple of stalls in the barn. But there are reasons I won't be using them. I want the stall set up in a certain spot...just want it temporary...

I may look into those mini panels! However, will share what I have now.

Billy Goat Gruff panels

The squares are 5" I think.... and just wasn't sure if the squares are too big? This is my first mini foal (well, it's a donkey, so my first donkey foal too!)... we have bred several full sized horses.... but the gate and panels I have (linked above) are used to fence off a run in area for them inside the barn......and if I used them, would just be buying a couple more. I have now 2 10' panels and a 5' gate panel. But I would need those to stay where they are....would just buy another gate panel and another fence panel (as it would be set up in a corner.)

What do you think of those?

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Minimule, that's a GREAT picture! I may look into mini panels... I have a couple of stalls in the barn. But there are reasons I won't be using them. I want the stall set up in a certain spot...just want it temporary...

I may look into those mini panels! However, will share what I have now.

Billy Goat Gruff panels

The squares are 5" I think.... and just wasn't sure if the squares are too big? This is my first mini foal (well, it's a donkey, so my first donkey foal too!)... we have bred several full sized horses.... but the gate and panels I have (linked above) are used to fence off a run in area for them inside the barn......and if I used them, would just be buying a couple more. I have now 2 10' panels and a 5' gate panel. But I would need those to stay where they are....would just buy another gate panel and another fence panel (as it would be set up in a corner.)

What do you think of those?

Thanks!
I really like the billy goat gruff panels you showed. Where did you get them and what was apporximate cost?

I set up my foaling stalls in the garage. I use the miniature panels set up on the rubber pads you can get at Sam's Club or Costco. These were 8'x8' and so far all the mares have had plenty of room. This past year I switched to 10' stalls. I've got 2 cameras, one on each side.

maternityward.jpg
Shawna --

After seeing your pictures, my husband's probably not going to be nearly as impressed as I am with my "day dream" for the carport that's just off my laundry room (currently houses my bumper pull trailer). Just thinking how I could step out my laundry room and be in my "foaling stalls". I'll be pitching this little notion this evening
default_biggrin.png
Already got the dividers in the storage building, too, so........

Jill

I like those gates - I'd like to find out where you got them and approx cost also.

Thanks

default_biggrin.png
My hubby has been good. For the past 3 years he has let me "take over" the whole garage for the mares. Last year we only had 2 foals so I only took up 1 half. I'm hoping this year I can have a foaling barn set up instead.

I like those Billy goat panels too. My newest panels I found are 4' tall with 9 rails. They come in 10' and 6' lengths with a 4' or 6' gate panel.

ihpanel2.jpg

So you all think those Billy Goat Gruff panels would be safe? I guess it makes sense.....they're meant for kidding pens for goats! I bought them at Tractor Supply. And still have the "research" sheet with prices when I was looking.... they come in 10', 5' and a 5' walk thru panel.

10'-$88 (52" high, 50 lbs)

5'- $58 (52" high, 27 lbs)

5' gate panel- $100 (100 lbs)

I was SO HAPPY with these. I had chainlink panels in there, but my goats rubbed on them so bad in the spring when they were shedding that they stretched it all out something nasty. If my mini had an itch, he used them too. So I bought these, and they are SO heavy duty, there is NO stretching them! They're like cattle panels in frames! The only thing I do not like is the gate latch (I wish I could operate it with one hand, when I'm going out to feed), but if I could change that down the road if I need to. I also primed and painted mine, hoping to protect them even more, since they were an expensive investment (for us!) But they're great, the holes are big enough that my barn cat can walk thru to go outside, and also too big for feet to get caught up, but not big enough for anyone to get a head in. I just wasn't sure about a mini foal....

The website is www.tartergate.com

If you don't want to spend a lot of money hog panels at 16 feet long might work.You can cut them to length with bolt cutter and use wire ties or double end snaps to pu together.Most times they are available at a Tractor Supply Store or other farm type stores.We use them here for lots of things.Good luck with your baby.Post pictures when it gets here.

Latest posts

Back