Who made carports into a barn??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
Ok, so a friend had an emergency, and we doubled our herd. I need to do something for hay storage. I am looking into those coverall things, however what I really like is the person who made a series of barns using carports that they enclosed with wood. Was it cheaper or about the same price as the coverall? The wood part is not a problem....we have a good stash of 2 x 6's, and can get more. I'm going to look further into this....but was hoping the person who did this can send me their website again, because I remember she had several photos on the site.

THANK YOU!

I don't know that but I typed in hay storage & several old posts came up - it might be in one of those. Good luck.

The lady who owns Mare Stare.........OMG I forgot her name. Her daughter's name is Shannon.............. :DOH! :DOH! :DOH!

The carport might work fine for hay storage. The coverall can work also but you need to have ventilation to prevent moisture from building up inside. There is one on my uncles farm and he had major condensation inside until he put a vapor barrier on the ground. He also has issue with heat buildup on sunny days.

Being in WI you have to be careful of snow loads in winter. I'm sure some of the carports sold in WI will hold up there but be carefull as what is sold in SC might never hold up in WI with snow. few winters ago here in Maine we had several eavy wet snow and lots of carports and coveralls came crashing down.

Mark

That's Heather at Mullligans Run. They made a really cute barn out of those carports.

THanks! Yep, Mulligan's Run is it! I just LOVE 'em! I guess I didn't even think of it...I"ll bet those cover-alls DO get moisture in them.....but so would a metal carport...ugh! We have a metal barn...and we do too. Vapor barriers...something I will have to look into.... I'm off to visit Mulligan's Run again!

Angie

One of our run in sheds is an 18'x21' metal carport that we lined with wood. We've had it, if I'm remembering right, since 2003. It works great and is a HUGE run in for minis. It's not as fancy as it would be if we made it into a barn, but it's the same starting "ingredient".

Carport%20Lot%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20001.jpg

Carport%20--%2011132005%20--%20033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting ready to have one put up to use as a regular barn in the next few months. I think we decided on the 24x24 (still pushing for the 24x30). I plan on adding isulation panels as I go and hope to have three 8x8 (or 8x10!) stalls down one side and have the other side for cart and equipment storage and for a small amount of hay at a time. Heather at Mulligan's Run has such an amazing example of what can be done! At this point I am going back and forth on using wood siding all the way around or just forking over the extra money for the uniform-look metal in a color to match the house and lining it on the inside. the 18x24 rounded edge buildings start at $695 installed around here (wth no sides). With all sides it is more like $2500+....that said--look into having one that size stick built and you run closer to $10,000!

With inexpensive vents and good insulation I think it can work nicely.

Thank you Jill....I forgot about yours! That's very nice and does look huge! HOw tall is it? I'm sure they make them many heights! I'm trying to find out what a cost of something like this is....we can get the wood for next to nothing, and my husband is in the construction trade, so very useful! (We're looking into if it's cheaper to put one of these up, or build a small poleshed). Due to the area we would have it in, we are looking at something no larger than 16' wide, and maybe 24' deep.

Thanks for the help! These extra horses will be here awhile, and the owner will help with the bill (we've been wanting to do this anyway, but now we HAVE to!)

Angie

Hi, Angie --

I'm not for sure how tall it is at the peak. Where the bottom of the gable is must be about 5'5" (I have to duck a little going in and out). They come in all heights -- pretty much you just pick how tall you want it. Ours has stood strong though high winds, etc. They anchor it very deeply and well.

Honestly, if I were doing it over, what I'd do is have it made only just with the top part so we could do the sides ourselves for better ventilation. It gets pretty hot in the summer, but the horses all want to go in there for naps, etc., so apparently they like it but I'd prefer to have done the sides and back ourselves I do think.

Jill

We just built this for right under $500. It's 12 X 24. Would hold lots of hay.

It's well ventilated and shingle roof so no condensation problems here. I've got lots of left over insullation I might insullate it eventually.

Abarn4.jpg

Marty, you are so lucky to have such "handy" men around. My hubby has trouble finding the drill.
default_wacko.png
Needless to say, all the power tools are mine. I'm hoping to build a cottage-like barn for my minis in the next year. I'll need my BIL to help me; now he's the handy one around the house.

If anyone is interested in building vs. the carport thing, all but our our barns except our carport run in shed are pole style barns my husband built. Here are some of the run ins and barns he has built for our horses:

16x12 run in:

Run%20In%20Shed%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20014.jpg

12x24 3-stall barn (we have one, but H will build another soon):

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

12x16 2-stall barn (we have three of these):

Two%20Stall%20Barn%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20007.jpg

Not fancy but not expensive either and work great for our purposes.

I have one of those carports for a hay shed. Mine is 18x21' and I had them install it without sides and with mobile home tie-downs (they offer them and are well worth the small price ) and I also had them make it 2' taller. It was only $100 to go the extra height . And, I think that $100 is pretty cheap for an extra layer of bales! It will hold more than 300 bales of 70lb. square bales.

It was way too expensive to have them put up the sides on it. We used tarps on cables for sides for the first two years. Then, I did a good deed for a neighbor by mowing his lawn (after he moved) until his place next to us sold. In return, he surprised me by giving me a pile of metal barn siding that he had over there.
default_aktion033.gif
So, last year, my son put it on for me, and this year he finished by putting translucent panels in the peaks. It still just has a 8x6' tarp for a door (doorway is 4' wide) and I like it that way as it has lots of ventilation and is easy to take one side loose for hay delivery,making a LARGE opening for tossing in the hay.

I put down heavy plastic for a moisture barrier, then put skids (free!) on top of that.

So I am looking around...and these carports I am seeing are quite expensive! Moreso than I thought! And I'm thinking of just a metal roof and posts! Yikes! But we need to do something...so I am continuing to look...

Thanks for all the replies....we're in a bit of a pickle here!

Angie

How do the horses react to hte metal when it rains outside? I would think it spokes them. What about lightening? Do you have a lightening rod on the metal building?

That is a good price for your new stalls Marty. I priced something like that out here...and lets just say metal car port is cheaper in this area.

I sooo need a couple of nice pretty wood sheds... hubby works too many hours and I am not able to do what I used too. So we would have to pay someone to build us some nice sheds or barns. That sure adds to the cost.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back