Life Expectancy and Health Issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
Could you summarize for us the most common health issues associated with dwarfism? Also, what is the average life expectancy (I assume it is significantly shortened)?

Liz R.

Liz,

"Could you summarize for us the most common health issues associated with dwarfism? Also, what is the average life expectancy (I assume it is significantly shortened)?"

The only common digestive issues that I know of for all of them except the type 2, is colic, impaction, and eating/chewing problems, obviously the most common disease issuescaused by the diseased gene is the prominant leg, spine and hip malformations. These problems besides the teeth and jaw, will be the ultimate cause of the majority of their pain and problems from their malformed joints, arthritis, to malformed hoof growth, malformaed leg and other bone growth, restricting their movement and mobility.

Life expectancy is shortened, depending on type, and care, some I have seen live into their double digits, ie 10 or more, but a vast majority I see only living from a few days, months or a few years is all.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back