Bloodlines and Dwarfism

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 488

Reaction score
Are there certain bloodlines that produce more dwarfs then others?

Carol,

From what I have personally seen, no there are not any bloodlines that produce "more" dwarfs than others. It is spread throughout the industry involving all of the common foundation stock bloodlines with all of the different type of dwarfisms.

Because this "breed" came from a relatively small number of foundation stock, and that a large amount of inbreeding was and still is being done, we have basically stirred a pot of stew that is on the verge of becoming rank, not adding anything new or fresh, not that it needs to be any other breed. If we just learn that some horses within our own breed can keep us from having that happen. Remember, a vast majority a the Miniature horses in the world have some common foundation stock somewhere, and even if they say unknown up close or farther back, we all know the practices of some breeders back in the beginning.

My example I always give is the 25% of the foals from 2 dwarf gene carriers that do not have the dwarf gene whether tall or small. You dont know which ones those are, but IF some carriers are small and some small horses are not carriers; and some tall ones are carriers AND some tall ones are not WHY not keep them ALL?? We are slowly getting rid of half of the 25% normal ones that just so happen to be tall, and they will NEVER produce a dwarf, they do NOT have the defective gene.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back