Some people!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Now I realize everyone has a different take on harnessing but the one thing that totally ticks me off is anyone who hooks a horse while tied to a trailer with NO BRIDLE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! While I was waiting for a class I had my guy tied to the trailer. The girls next to us proceeded to put on the saddle and breastplate and hook their horses to the carts while tied to the trailer. When they went to hook a horse close to mine which is a stallion [by the way] I told them quite sharply not near my horse and it is NOT a safe practice. It went in one ear and out the other. They didn't hook near my horse. {I would have flamebroiled them}. The thing is though that the person who is teaching them is teaching them to do this. Scary huh? Not only that they didn't have their harnesses on correctly [no bit guards and martingales over the breastplate] and one idiot pulled in way too close to me in the lineup in the ring. The judge was NOT impressed with her and asked if I wished to circle my horse to get further over from her which I did. {Kid was still oblivious}. Kids learn by example and it really worries me to have kids out there driving like this!!!!!

Perhaps if you mention that it is a disqualifying action?? (Or is it? I will have to check the rules.) I know that leaving a hitched horse unattended is, and I see it done, (shudder!!) but make sure the people know so it won't happen in the future...hopefully. We can only do what we can do...and pray that the inevitable accident doesn't get any horses or people hurt. :no:
default_sad.png

:new_shocked: Maybe the AMHA/AMHR ought to look into implementing this as a new rule...no horses attached to a cart/carriage without a bridle on and reins must be attached to bit and through turrets. Yipes! I, too, would have been concerned enough to politely go over and see if I could point out the danger of the situation. And if not, I would remove my stuff somewhere else if possible. That is a huge danger.

But oh well. ADS has that very rule, and if you are caught doing this, you are immediately disqualified from the show and asked to leave(you may get some latitude on the last aspect).

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be AMAZED the number of people who don't know about that safety rule. After all, on a riding horse the last thing on and first thing off after the rider is the bridle, both for the sake of the animal's comfort and because you don't tie them by the bit and of course you want to tie the horse up to take their gear off. It seems like that would make even more sense with a cart since there's so many more straps to do up, right? You don't want to worry about the horse running off while you are hitching. But what people don't realize is how much more dangerous it is to hitch your large, wheeled battering ram to your flight animal and then remove all means of control long enough to try and jam a bit in its mouth! :new_shocked: An act which, I might point out, many horses greet with resistance and ducking rearwards trying to pull loose. Picture a Friesian or draft horse loose with a large Meadowbrook behind it...and nothing on its head to try and grab it by. :smileypuke: Then picture that thing running in blind panic towards your car, your cart, or your child, and you'll understand why the ADS is so fanatical about that rule.

Please do not hitch up without your bridle already on. Put on the bridle then put the halter back on over it, or if it won't fit then buy one of the kind that buckle over the nose that will. It's not safe to those around you and it's not kind to the horse, who will likely be quite traumatized by the sight of a cart bouncing madly along behind them rattling to pieces and smashing on things.

Leia

I just brought this up a few weeks ago. It's SO unsafe to have a cart on a horse before the bridle is on :no: :no: :no:

WOW. Thanks for the advice. I have to admit the bridle is the last thing I put on. I dont show so we just drive for pleasure in the country or here on our farm. We have never really been taught how just had a one day crash course on harnessing and thats it. I too am from the riders point of view bridle is the last on. We have a special area with cross ties that we use to harness up as the horse and cart all fit in perfectly and then we take the cross ties off, slip on the bridle and go...never had a second thought about it-but NOW I will.

Thanks!!

It is very true that few people driving minis are aware of this safety issue; I am part of a group of VSE drivers who are practicing both for fun and to work toward doing ADTs, CDEs and the like, and only a couple of them knew of this before I brought it up...I would wholeheartedly support a motion in BOTH mini horse registries to implement a 'NEVER have the bridle off the horse when hooked' rule, with stern(as in ADS)'penalty' if disregarded; it is SUCH a safety issue, and SO often disregarded(whether from not knowing, or assuming it doesn't really matter! I applaud Fred for bringing this up in this thread; this is very often a place for learning for many, and it absolutely can't hurt for more people to learn about this safety issue--ESPECIALLY with the booming interest in driving of minis, both in and out of the show ring! Take Leia's 'word picture' to heart--I have been there when this kind of thing happened with a horse of 'ordinary' size, and it is more frightening than you can imagine. Just because a miniature horse might not do as much PROPERTY damage as, say, a draft horse, doesn't mean it wouldn't be dangerous and traumatic for horse AND humans(AND property, for that matter!)

All shows also need to STATE, in their premiums, a rule about not tying a hitched horse and leaving it unattended-and then ENFORCE it, uniformly.

(I have to add that it did my heart good to see MSR's post, about learning from this thread--THAT'S a plus! Nowadays, new people join here ALL the time, so it can't hurt to reiterate this kind of information! I surely hope others have learned, also...)

Margo

:aktion033: :aktion033: Linda is spot on! I have seen kids taught things that make me cringe. It is only a matter of time before some child is going to get seriously hurt, or an innocent bystander.

But that person just goes on year after year teaching their dangerous ways to another generation of kids.

Glad you brought this up, maybe it will keep someone out of harms way.

Bonnie

I agree Fred, as I get older I find I have less and less tolerance for "stupid" Inexperience is one thing but stupid is another!

I feel like that old country song, "here's your sign" I'd like to make one to give people :bgrin

And speaking of bit guards where do oyu get your mini size ones? We use half cheek snaffle (saving up for Myler comfort snaffle
default_yes.gif
: )?

Oh how I wish I lived close enough to just come over and have you fit my horses harness!

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxine sorry about that I meant rein stops with a martingale. Years ago I had an "incident" [thankfully not accident] at this very same show when my martingale ring caught on the rein buckle. Since that time I keep rein stops on everything as you never know when you might add a martingale and I for one will NEVER forget that lesson. Bonnie the person who did this is one who we both know and I know you will immediately guess who it was because it was at Deerfield. Scary all those kids taught to drive this way and no ring manners either!

And speaking of bit guards where do oyu get your mini size ones?
I don't know where the others got theirs...but I found mine at a regular tack shop. They are small, made of thick neoprene, with a velcro closure. Very-very handy to take on and off.

I see, well that too eh? I see your point re stops.Yes ring etiquite should always be emphasaized as one of their first lessons..

Glad to know others see that too as I was starting to think I was really an old grouchy fogey
default_smile.png

Odd since I don't show now and probably have no right to an opinion..

Maxine

I admit to doing this, too. To me it is easier because I never have anyone to help me, and I feel safer tying my horses by the halter while I hitch, etc. I think, since it is so frowned upon, that I should start putting the halter on over the bridle from the sounds of it.

Leia has been very polite, no doubt she cringes watching me....! She has politely suggested several times, but I forget and keep muddling along.

Thanks for bringing this up for us that need to understand why and how to do it a better way.

Liz M.

There was a wreck at Nationals this year in the warm up arena because someone hitched their horse and then tried putting the bridle on...horse got away from them and took off and almost immediately ran into one wall (and again...cart is attached)...then took off at a dead run around the arena and ran into the panel that was being used as the gate...I'm honestly shocked he didn't break anything from how hard the horse hit...then he continued to run around the arena more...by this time everyone had gathered their horses in the middle...well the horse decided to start weaving in and out of people and was hitting carts (and I think screwed up several carts)....we were fortunate and I was able to get my horse/cart moved every time the horse ran by...but only by inches. It was a very scary thing and I know several carts were damaged...fortunately the horse that got loose had minor injuries from what anyone could tell...I don't believe any other horses were hurt...but a very scary situation that could have been avoided by having the bridle on before hitching the horse!

Tracy

I have to admit whether I drive (or ride) in the show ring, here at home or on the trail I have always gone by the rules and regs of the showring. To me it keeps me disciplined, sharp, and alert. Yep I practice showring ettiquette here at home even when I'm not at the show. And the kids and adults I have taught to ride in the past or anyone that comes over just to get a drive in the cart, I do the same thing. We start with rules and end with rules. Safety is number one and in order to enjoy your drive or ride, it's good to have a solid foundation. Can you imagine driving out on the highway in your car...if people did'nt abide by the laws of the road? OK...not quite the analogy...but I liken it to that.

Good thread. We should chat more about driving!
default_yes.gif
:

I dont like a horse tied with a bridle on either- even with a halter over it to tie with. Too many things to get stuck and hung up on and could cause a wreck or damage to the gear and horse. I would just rather leave the horse tied with no cart hooked and no bridle on.

Yes, kids need to learn the right way!! I have seen more times that kids get hurt, due to unsafe practices and then it's always the horses fault in the parents eyes- or the 'stupid horse' gets blamed. Helloooooo! :eek:

nootka said:
I admit to doing this, too. To me it is easier because I never have anyone to help me, and I feel safer tying my horses by the halter while I hitch, etc. I think, since it is so frowned upon, that I should start putting the halter on over the bridle from the sounds of it.Leia has been very polite, no doubt she cringes watching me....! She has politely suggested several times, but I forget and keep muddling along.

Thanks for bringing this up for us that need to understand why and how to do it a better way.

Liz M.
Liz, I am above all things a practical girl! Frankly I do a few things that aren't safe either and if what you're doing isn't a severe risk at the time I'm not going to do more than suggest a change.
default_wink.png
: I worry a bit less about stolid Cherry Bomb and a 27lb Hyperbike than a skittish two year old Morgan with a 300lb road cart or gig.

I admit to wincing and biting my tongue at the first ocean drive when Rudy was unbridled to graze with Kari still in the cart. All I could think of was how scary it would be for her to have him spook and take off without any way of stopping him! But I understood how hard it was to get her in and out of her special 'Bike and kept my mouth shut. It really wasn't any of my business and sometimes you do what works rather than what is "safe." Ce la vie.

HGFarm said:
I dont like a horse tied with a bridle on either- even with a halter over it to tie with. Too many things to get stuck and hung up on and could cause a wreck or damage to the gear and horse. I would just rather leave the horse tied with no cart hooked and no bridle on.
I agree with you. If I need to leave the horse prior to hitching he is left tied in his halter with all the harness straps secured up off the ground and out of reach of his hooves. The bridle goes on only right before the cart does and I never leave him unsupervised at that point (i.e., I only hitch when I am ready to drive). I've solved the issue of having him tied while harnessing by (at my trainer's correct insistence) teaching him an ironclad "whoa, stand." I get the harness and bridle on, lead the horse away from the trailer or barn, put him on his whoa-stand and bring the cart over to him for harnessing. It's taken awhile but I can actually leave him standing, walk away the length of the barn, and come back to find him still standing there with his head craned around watching me! If you have a header available have them hold the untied horse while you harness. If you don't, either teach the whoa-stand or hitch in cross-ties with a halter over the bridle. (One note- I do not use the unsupervised whoa-stand at shows! Too much distraction, too much chance of a problem, and plus that whole it's illegal thing.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol: I do put him on a whoa-stand, but I make sure I have the reins in my hands at all times to maintain control.)

Leia

I know we were not at the same show yesterday, Linda, but I guess this is more common than you would think. I saw someone at an Open show about to hitch a mini to the cart before putting the bridle on. A couple of us stopped her in time and pointed out how dangerous this is. We saw enough other scary things at that show!!! (It was NOT a Pinto or mini show).

At shows I have an oversize halter that fits over the bridle when I am harnessing.

This thread should be added to the "Best of L'il Beginnings" forum.

I love our buckle-nose halter for many purposes, but I would love one light enough to just leave on for trail driving and hitching while alone (most likely would not go over big at shows...). I've seen several out of betathane that I need to check into further, but why not one designed as part of the harness?

I've seen it suggested that, while putting to, you buckle the halter around the horse's neck, but that is not exactly secure. Camptown has a grooming collar...or what I did was to punch more holes in the crown piece of an old nylon halter to do the same thing. However, just as with grooming, I would be certain my horse is trained for and comfortable with this means of restraint.

I was going to buy a mini that pulled a cart, the guy was showing us how to put it together (cart and harness). Well we went driving around, we started to head home.

The girth thingy (sorry stupid) went loose and the whole back of the harness came off and spooked the horse. It was the thing that held the head high and in betwwen the rein rings. That was the craziest ride I ever went on. I was crying the, the mini was shaking.

It was BAD....

Latest posts

Back