Trail Obstacle- In hand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I understand that you cannot touch your horse when you do the back-up, for instance. (horse backs up and turns a right angle, still going backwards)

I've seen people take both hands and put them on each side of the halter and push the horse back and guide them that way. I think this is "touching". Am I wrong?

just my opinion but I have seen the same, and in one case with one of my own horses had to do the same.

but the person who's horse back up nicely with no help except a cue will place better with the judges

but pushing your horse with their halter if necessary at least they have completed the obsticle

just my observation

Lori

Rules about this can also vary - for example, in PtHA you are allowed to touch the horse when sidepassing. This seems to be interpreted as anything from a light touch with a thumb to body-checking! But again, the horse that sidepasses correctly without being touched will place higher.

Do NOT touch your horse at all or do ANYTHING that looks like touching or you WILL get DQ'ed

I also have been taught not to ever touch your horse in obstacle, or a DQ will be coming your way.
default_yes.gif
:

The best way I think to teach yourself not to even to try to touch your horse by the halter is to use a lead with a stud chain on it. Not to punish the horse, but that way you don't touch the chain and you won't go near the horse's head.

I would also feel that touching both sides of the halter to guide the horse backwards is about the same as touching the horse and if it were up to me, that would cause a dq. Especially seeing that others have trained their horses and will not need to handle the horse by grasping either side of the halter. Just the lead...

Well I was wondering... because my daughter showed at a local show under AMHA rules and she never touched her horse. Since we had talked about it before, I was watching others and she was the only one that didn't touch-- she did it by the lead rope only. Feather was so good!!!

Thanks for your replies.

I will hold the lead very close to the halter when executing the back, side pass, turns on the fore and hind. with a young horse I may put one or two fingers on the halter (be careful not to look like you are touching the face). I never put 2 hands on the halter or touch the horse anywhere else on its body. I haven't been DQ'd yet and always place well.

I too have always been taught never to touch your horse. But I have seen plenty who have. I think it looks gorgeous when a horse can execute everything without being touched. Took me some time to get my mare to do it thats for sure but now that we are coming back after taking some time off I am rusty. So next year we are going to be starting all over again with my stallion Blue.

Rules about this can also vary - for example, in PtHA you are allowed to touch the horse when sidepassing. This seems to be interpreted as anything from a light touch with a thumb to body-checking! But again, the horse that sidepasses correctly without being touched will place higher.
New one to me. The last time I showed in pinto trail one judge complained that my lead rope touched the horse and therefore I touched the horse. Since the other judge didn't agree they didn't DQ me but did mark me down! Maybe it depends on the judge ( and which particular rules he/she read the night before!).

Tracy,

To clarify things a little. The show rules are MMHC and AMHA. Which basically means they are based on AMHA with MMHC modifaications. They are basic set of rules on the club website www.maineminiaturehorseclub.com

Touching the horse is not listed as a DQ. It should be a deduction based on the amount of contact and is up to the judge. There were some that were very minimal contact backing and some definately much more than that. I think some one asked the judge at the last show about touching the halter, I did not clearly hear her answer but thought she said it was up to the judge at rated show? Touching the horse with your hand or body was a DQ at rated shows.

BTW Sarah did a super job with Link considering he has been away for a while. Bet shes glad to have him home!

Mark

According to the AMHR rulebook "NO PHYSICALLY MOVING OR COERCING THE HORSE BY TOUCHING ALLOWED"

It is to be the judges discretion to disqualify.

Most judges prefer to mark down rather than DQ -- but some will.

Latest posts

Back