Chronic diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
We have a filly that had a plasma transfer and massive antibiotic treatment..after she was born last year.

When she was appr. 3 weeks old she developed diarrhea. At first I figured its because of her dam came into foal heat..But it would not stop.

I had the vet out and we ran every test in the book. Every test came back normal, bloodcount, bacteria..all good. So I tried..dewrorming, Probios, VBS, 911, biosponge, bepto bisma, diarSanyl, the generic liquid Immodium, feed through biotics..Nothing..still diarrhea ..all the while she was playing and growing and eating and just fine. Exept her back side told a story.

I now used a product and emptied One bottle..it takes very little..its called Ration Plus..and for the first time in 1 year we have firm patties. I just thought I would pass this along. it treats the gut bacteria..not just stops the diarrhea ..rather healing than stopping. I found the best price right here in case anybody is interested.

Getty equine

Thanks for sharing. I have a mare that the vet is going to take a look at March 2nd but this might be something I will try to help her.

HEY!

Thanks for posting - I JUST posted on the back porch about one of my big horses and chronic diarrhea!!
default_smile.png

Thanks for the info. Christine, I have two thoughts to add....

I would treat her for an ulcer... sometimes a baby can have a chronic one especially after what she went through.

Also have you tried switching her from a sweet feed( has a lot of sugar in it) to a pelleted easy to digest feed, like a senior pellet.

Thanks.
default_yes.gif
: Always good to know...different things that work.

I tried acidophilous with great sucess, several years ago with a colt who'd undergone colic surgery and rounds of anti-biotics.

Latest posts

Back