Listerine, Baby Oil...what other Household items

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for static electricity in the winter. I dont know about yall but my horses get REALLY bad static in the winter because the air gets so dry. So when you curry then the dirt sticks and u cannot cannot cannot get it off! If you spray your stiff body brush with Static guard it will come off. or if you spray the horse with Show Sheen it will also come flyin off
default_smile.png

Thanks Travis, great too know as I always get zapped!
default_gaah.gif

Diaper ointment is also good for "scratches" or grease heel. It keeps the area dry. Clean, clip the area, and them apply.

I know some people with biggies use Vaseline around muzzle & eyes right before a show, although I prefer baby oil.
default_wink.png
Less 'goopy' and easier to wipe off.

I'll second the bungee cords -- could not live without them for so many things.

Heavy duty zip ties, bought at an outdoor store. Fantastic for quick fence fixes.

Black electrical tape for tack quick fixes -- makes a great end "keeper."

Bottled water for everyone on drives and at shows. Easier to keep close at hand than a water bucket.

Multi-purpose tool -- has knife blades, rasps, bottle-opener. These are very inexpensive at any hardware store and make great gifts. We keep one in every vehicle, one in our spares kit, one in the grooming supply tub, etc.

Sharpie pen -- great for hoof touch-uups, bits of bleached mane, etc.

Just-a-Groom trimmer or cheapo beard trimmers for trimming ears, muzzles, etc. Cheap and disposable, but the Just-A-Groom is equivalent to a 40 blade at its closest setting.

Castor Oil is the best leather conditioner ( the old English Trainer who's barn I used to ride at in summers would only allow it and gycerine soap in the tack room.

They also used a small amount of Pinesol mixed with water to clean sweaty horses.

I wish I could find his recipe for brace/ linament. I remember it had Witch Hazel, asorbene but cant remember what else. I lost the recipe when I went to college.

heres one I haven't seen posted yet gatorade for the hot time of the year to get your horses to drink mix it in with there water my horses like orange the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one that I have used and it really works.

If you have a bad cut you can use a tube of cheap wormer to rub on it and it helps it heal without much of a scar.

Here's one I heard the other day, but haven't tried.

Black coloured hairspray to use in place of dying manes and tails. Washes out in the next wash too.

I use baby wipes to clean faces and body between baths.

If you have a horse with a while mane and tail and youve tried everything and they tail still wont come completely white, spray a little white grooming spray in the bottom. It'll cover it, and comes out. Make sure you brush tail before and after spraying it, or it wont look right.

Black Permanet Marker for muzzel and around eyes

Dominque
what kind of permanent marker, does it matter? and has a horse ever reacted badly to that soaking into their skin?

Can someone explain how the listerine works for itchy horses or dandruff? Do you just pour it on and go or does it need rinsed out?

Listerine makes a GREAT liniment without having to worry about blistering like some on the market for horses do.

As for the itching and dandruff..pour it right on
default_biggrin.png

Would someone mind posting me the link for the Listerine uses please? I've looked through and cannot find it.

Many thanks

For dry flaky skin we add a few drops of selsun blue shampoo to our "shampoo mix", I imagine head and shoulders would work too. Puts an end to the flaky skin right away. We also rinse with a good conditioner. Selsun blue works great on rain rot or any other fungal yuk.

I also found the neatest little mit in the drug store. Its perfect for whisking off that last minute dust just before entering the ring. Its smooth microfiber on one side and textured (lack of a better word) on the other. Being a mit, no grease on me and it cost a whole $2.

Sort of related I guess because it is a lil trick.

I've heard of trainers putting stuff like gatorade etc in their horses water at home and at shows because some horses are really picky about the way their water taste, and the additive of the gatorade helps mask the "differences" in taste of the water.

I love all these remedies! keep em coming! My addition is that I was told to put cinnamon on the ant hills in my pasture, the biting ants hate it and it wont poison the pasture with pesticides, also works good at entrances to barns to keep crawling pests out (have not tried it yet but sounds good?)

Broken chest freezers for storing grain and supplements in. They are waterproof, air tight, and rodent proof. If you use one, do yourself a favor and remove the motor (usually held in with a few screws) it will be much lighter to move.

I love all these remedies! keep em coming! My addition is that I was told to put cinnamon on the ant hills in my pasture, the biting ants hate it and it wont poison the pasture with pesticides, also works good at entrances to barns to keep crawling pests out (have not tried it yet but sounds good?)
I am going to try this tomorrow!

For white manes/tails/horses, GOOP is a miracle worker. You put it in dry hair (its a hand cleaner that's sooo cheap, and its in the auto section of most walmarts), let it sit for at least 5 minutes, but no more then 10 minutes, add shampoo (no water yet) and rub in in, THEN ad water, scrub and rinse. Its amazing at getting hair white!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goop-Multi-Purpose-Hand-Cleaner/16880683

This may suprize a lot of people , but here it goes:

colic :

a cup of coffee , add schnaps to it

caffine in coffee gets the intesting moving , the schnaps will relax the gut

then walk

or

Beer

1 bottle

Ulsers

Bicarbonate Sodium Na 1 spoonful per week to keep ulcers away. maybe start before a show or traveling

or

Aloe Vera juice 1/4 cup per day for a healthy gut

Garlic powder I think most of you know about that

to keep your horse from developing pariadontal disease (sp) rotting gums . wipe your horses front teeth with a cotton ball or pad soaked in mouthwash ; ) the dentist gave me that one .

I also use an old wine fridg to store my wormers, grain, and first aid , its a great idea

Back