Listerine, Baby Oil...what other Household items

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought of another one. Years and years ago we used to use Zebo range polish for cast iron stobes on black hooves. It buffs up beautifully but I stopped using it cos I didn't know what was in it and didn't want to cause any harm. In Ireland the old horsemen use "bluestone" (copper sulphate) for everything from worming to treating proud flesh. It's used as a treatment for potato blight and again... i wouldn't touch it just in case I poisoned something! They swear by it tho.

Here's one that we use. When bathing for a show spray a little Resolve carpet cleaner (pump) on hooves let sit for a few minutes then scrub with nylon kitchen dish scrubby, rinse while bathing. Takes off all yuck, mud, etc. I'm careful around the coronet band, not sure if the resolve could make the skin sensitive. Never had a problem and it really cleans their hooves up. We also use a little hemorrhoid cream on wounds that have healed but need hair to grow quickly. That works well also. And to help with the dry manes we use a leave in conditioner at the shows that we get at Walmart or Salley's that is in the African American section. This is not a greasy conditioner, the manes soak it up pretty quickly but looks healthy. :bgrin

Actually I use it for loads of things but I am not sure it is available in the U.S??

I have used it to keep flies off open wounds and to heal without white hair forming.

I have used it to stop chewing- it tastes FOUL- it also woks on children biting nails and helps the nails grow!
Jane, I can buy it in Canada so it is probably in the US too, I just get it from a local tack store. When I worked with jumpers in England we used it all the time.

Yvonne

Human Baby Sunblock on pink skinned horse noses in summer.

Aha! :aktion033: I've been wondering about what works for that as I keep finding these cute paint minis with the light nose thing. So I was thinking i'd ask what they use on Chief. Of course, Chief died before I had the chance to, so i've been, hmmm...well, there's a problem if I ever saw one since. In other words, thanks loads.

Also, what does everyone use on the light skinned minis in the summer? I found a cute shetland mare and colt that are being sold together, and i'm not so much worried about the mare as she's mostly brown from the side I see but the colt's about 40/60 and i'm worried about the really bright sun we get around here for next summer.
default_unsure.png
:

:aktion033: Oh I love these great ideas!

I use ground flaxseed meal and rice bran in the spring to help mine shed off quicker and they have a really fine, healthy glow. Flax seed keeps forever whole but goes rancid quickly if not refrigerated when ground so I use a coffee bean grinder to freshly grind the flax seed every day. '

Another wonderful product for those sensitive skinned ones is Shapley's original MTG for rain rot, dry skin, fungus, scratches, any dermatitis problems and to get phenomenal mane and tail growth. Absolutely amazing.

Baking soda made into a paste and caked into mane and tail and on white leg markings will whiten.

To ensure good hydration during hot weather and stress, try soaked shredded beet pulp. You may need to get them used to it before it's actually needed but most of them love it once they try a few bites. It's very lightweight to haul and can actually take the place of some of the hay, it's sort of a cross between a grain and forage food. I also use it for those who need to put on a bit of weight or need the extra energy without the protein rush of grains.

After worming, use a good probiotic to make sure their bowel flora returns to normal.

Koi clay, aka sodium bentonite, can be fed to prevent stomach ulcers and help cure them in times of stress. It's full of good minerals as well

Diatomacious Earth (DE) , the food grade, is a natual wormer that works mechanically rather than chemically. It's also loaded with trace minerals. I use it in addition to routine worming but it helps to keep the worm population down in between wormings. It can even be sprinkled on them to kill lice and ticks and it's totally non toxic and when fed free choice, they take in what they need and flies cannot hatch out in the manure so it helps to control them too.

I have a round feeder that I'll have to take pictures of. It's like a big bale feeder with a pan in the middle for the mini's so they can eat all the way around it and since it has the pan, you can feed any loose hay or whatever in it.

I also have 2 very nice small barns that we bought from a friend who used to have mini donkey's, they were made special for him. The funniest sight ever is seeing my 17 hand registered Percheron mare "backed" into it. Her front half hangs out the front! :lol:

I'll take some photo's and post them if I can figure out how to post them here.

Cathy

hmmm....

ive sliced an onion and smeared on my horse's hoof and buffed away with a rag and it looks really nice...worked great on light colored hooves

listerine for itchiness and dandrif

vaseline to help with shine, keeps mites and nats out of ears and kills bot eggs when applied to them

dawn on the tail works really good

baby oil on the towel you dry your horse with makes em pretty shiney

i think thats all i can think of right now...

Oh and for show sheen there are various ways here are a few

1/4 cup Baby Oil

1/4 cup human hair conditioner

1/4 cup water

2 table spoons vinegar (If you want it as a fly spray as well)

1/3 baby oil

1/3 hair conditioner

1/3 babby gel

Diluted conditioner

NOTE: I have heard that baby oil can attract the sun and burn the skin. Baby oil can also attract dirt

Prevent snow from sticking inside a horses hooves with - no stick cooking spray

Whitening - Chalk or Talcum Powder rubbed on white tailed, patches on markings

You can use listerine to get rid of dandruff (in manes.) :new_shocked: Oh yeah, (I just remembered this one,) you can use Mr. Bubbles [the shampoo] for whitening shampoo (for white horses,) instead of real horse shampoo/conditioner. Most real horse shampoo/conditioners have the hazard that they can dye your horses' skin blue or purple. Sooooo....
default_smile.png

ACV and garlic for the flies and other biters.

BOSS and flax for shine.

For pills: Place pills in a small dish and add enough soda (any flavor - my horses like Sprite but also Mountain Dew and Cola worked) to cover the pills. Let sit for a couple hours and pills will disolve in the soda into a yummy sweet powder to sprinkle on some feed. Or you can add more soda and syringe it into their mouths.

Great thread!

Don't know many but here's two-
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

A little bit of hair gel mixed with water to 'tame' a crazy mane.

Crisco shortening- use a paper towel to wipe on the bottom of their hooves in winter, it prevents snowballs.

default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png

Do you just pour a bit of listerine directly on the mane or ????????

Here's one I haven't read yet:

Corn Starch rubbed on white markings to make them nice and bright white.

Haven't found anything better than WD-40 for burr removal! - good detangler on dry manes and tails too it doesn't take much, Its helpful even if it is just spray on your brush or comb.

I always keep listerine in the house and barn too! Great for many things.

Great topic!

This has nothing to do with cleaning up horses, but the other day, I read that you can use vodka to get rid of mildew in the bathroom. It said to put some cheap vodka (straight up, haha) into a spray bottle, and spray that on the mildew. I've not tried it but thought it was interesting.

Hmmm...some of these are great..

Here are mine..

I use vinegar mixed with either baby oil or mineral oil for fly spray. The vinegar repels the flies and the oil makes it stick, so they can roll and it will still be there!

I also use baby wipes to apply hoof moisterizer

Bungee cords and binder twine are amazing for temporarily repairing wire fencing or fastening buckets in a pinch. I also use biner twine for a million other things, thank goodness there IS uses for it other than binding hay or all of us horse owners could make the world's largest ball of binder twine..hmm that's a neat idea...
default_wink.png

Very nice topic!!

I use soap for my white horse that I use for the dishwasher and it works verry good!!

I use it for the white tails and I prefere this product in place of al those horsesproducts with the blue shampoo's...

I have a big appaloosa and I swear that it's not easy to clean a white horse...

This is my magic product!!
default_biggrin.png

You can see the picture because I don't know if in the US there is the same product...

4211060.jpg

We used to use WD-40 on manes and tails for burrs too but now we use BABY OIL. Works soooo much better plus it's less expensive and conditions their hair. i've found that I end up pulling less hair when using baby oil. I always hated the smell of WD-40 too...

Latest posts

Back